Yuck! »

What Stace had to say on Friday, October 27th, 2006
Because Everybody Else is Doing It

Okay, it’s this quiz thingie going around, where you pick your sixteen favorite movies, and choose a quote from each one, and now you guys have to guess the movie from the quote and I’ll write your name next to it when you guess it. When I see that you’ve guessed it, anyway, and if Blogger cooperates, which it hasn’t been. (And still isn’t–I’m having to make three or four publish attempts every edit.)

Most of these I’ve tried to pick slightly-more-obscure lines from minor characters. But a few, like the first, would have been virtually unguessable had I done so, so I’ve gone with the one you’ll know.

1. “To crush your enemies, to see them fall before you, and to hear the lamentations of the women.” Conan the Barbarian–Jenn

2. “I could be home right now, drinking this monster eggnog my brother makes with lighter fluid!” Better Off Dead–Cherie

3. “I wrote my phone number on it, in case you feel like dockin’ at my moonbase some night!” Free Enterprise

4. “And I’m Gary Cooper. But not the Gary Cooper that’s dead!” The Sure Thing

5. “Is being an idiot like being high all the time?” The Machmaker–Cherie

6. “They took the little ones…” Lord of the Rings (this is from Fellowship but I love all three films equally)–Robyn

7. “I’m gonna need two dragons.” Starsky & Hutch

8. “She’s not keen on him! She’s only keen on me!” About A Boy–Isabella

9. “You don’t whack guys! Look in your heaaart!” Miller’s Crossing–Evil Editor

10. “I’m talkin about working for a living! I’m talkin’ about sharkin’!” Jaws–Robyn

11. “We neither of us perform well for strangers.” Pride & Prejudice–the good Colin Firth version, not that Keira Knightley travesty

12. “I apologize. I always thought you were a cold, calculating sort of officer. But you’re really…quite emotional, aren’t you?” The Dirty Dozen. It was even #12 to give you a hint!

13. “It’s Christmas. It’s the time of miracles.” Die Hard

14. “I’ve known loan sharks more forgiving than you.” The Ref–Cherie

15. “Well, that’s the big trick, isn’t it?” Star Wars. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for not getting this one.

16. “Are you sure? Because it looks like he’s…leaning.” While You Were Sleeping–Robyn

So there you go. Guess away.

We’re going to Cardiff tomorrow, so hopefully I will have a couple of pictures to post on the blog. If we remember the camera. And if we don’t get up in the morning and decide we don’t feel like it after all.

WIP currently at 58k. October has been the most wasted of wasted months as far as work has gone. Between the laptop/juice thing, and the hubby’s job interviews, and my friends expecting me to, like, actually talk to them and stuff…ugh. :-)

And I so have my fingers crossed that my hometown team wins the World Series…but I’m not talking about it because I don’t want to jinx anything…please don’t let them choke *again*.

25 comments to “Because Everybody Else is Doing It”

1. Jenn on the Island
    · October 27th, 2006 at 3:49 pm · Link

#1 is Conan. And I have that in a sound bite if you want it!!

2. Jenn on the Island
    · October 27th, 2006 at 3:56 pm · Link

Is 16 from the Goonies. When they have to glue back part of David onto the rest of him?…

3. December Quinn
    · October 27th, 2006 at 4:04 pm · Link

Yay on getting #1! I so love that movie. Sigh.

But nope, #16 isn’t Goonies, although I loved Goonies. :-)

4. Robyn
    · October 27th, 2006 at 7:37 pm · Link

#10- Robert Shaw as the shark hunter boat captain in Jaws.

Is #12 from a Star Trek movie?

#16- While You Were Sleeping. I LOVE that movie.

5. December Quinn
    · October 28th, 2006 at 3:47 am · Link

#10 and #16 are correct, Robyn! But I’ve been trying to add them all morning and Blogger refuses to allow my edits–or the new post I wrote with photo–to publish.

6. Isabella Snow
    · October 28th, 2006 at 4:32 am · Link

8 – About a Boy!!!

What do I win?? What do I win?? :)))

7. Erik Ivan James
    · October 28th, 2006 at 6:53 am · Link

Um, I’ll set this one out. Me, who watches a movie about every 10 years or so.

I’m not a very good dancer either.

8. December Quinn
    · October 28th, 2006 at 1:21 pm · Link

Isabella, you win the satisfaction of being right–the greatest prize in the world. :-)

And Erik, you should be proud that you don’t waste your time watching movies so many times you can recite them by heart, but instead do things. Except for dancing. Which, you know, not a big deal. As long as you can hold her close and sway, you don’t need more–personally, I regard men who like to dance too much as a little suspect.

9. Evil Editor
    · October 28th, 2006 at 1:55 pm · Link

9. Miller’s Crossing

10. Sherrill Quinn
    · October 28th, 2006 at 4:28 pm · Link

The only one I recognized was from While You Were Sleeping. So I guess I’ll be sitting this one out, too. :)

11. Kelly
    · October 28th, 2006 at 4:51 pm · Link

Damn!! I know #5, I can HEAR #5, but I can’t remember the damn movie!!! Okay, I’m just going to go Google it for my own piece of mind and I’ll let others post here about it.

12. Kelly
    · October 28th, 2006 at 4:52 pm · Link

Oh, yeah, I lurve that movie. Hmm…I think I’ll go pop it into the DVD player.

13. Isabella Snow
    · October 28th, 2006 at 5:16 pm · Link

Oooh oooh my name in lights!!!! ;))

14. December Quinn
    · October 28th, 2006 at 5:32 pm · Link

OMG!! Evil Editor came to my blog! *grovels like a good Minion*.

And of course, he’s right. One one my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies, Miller’s Crossing.

At this point, I don’t care if you win by Googling. I’m really starting to think I picked waaay too obscure lines. :-)

15. Robyn
    · October 28th, 2006 at 8:51 pm · Link

Can I go again? Is #6 from The Fellowship of the Ring?

16. Cherie
    · October 29th, 2006 at 3:22 am · Link

OK I’m usually pretty good at these things. I watch way to many movies.

2 is from better off dead. I have this movie. and love it.

5. is the matchmaker I think

14, umm the ref? With Dennis Leary. I think that’s the name.

13 miracle on 31 first street or something like that my parents always watched it. Just thought I would guess. I just remember “Every time a bell rings an angel gets there wings” lol

And 15 the little mermaid? Usula says it.

Others seem familiar but I will have to think on them more.

17. December Quinn
    · October 29th, 2006 at 3:30 am · Link

Yep, Robyn!

Wow, Cherie! Excellent answers there–#13 is definitely not Miracle on 34th Street or It’s a Wonderful Life, though, it’s a more modern movie. And I’venever seen The Little Mermaid.

BUT, you got three in one hit, and I think it was three of the most obscure! You rock!

18. Sam
    · October 29th, 2006 at 5:27 am · Link

#6 is Lord of the Rings – when Pippen and Merry are taken by the Orcs.
    Oh God – does that make me some sort of fan? LOL

19. Sam
    · October 29th, 2006 at 5:28 am · Link

Oh Robyn beat me to it, lol. I didn’t read the comments – d’oh!!

20. Sam
    · October 29th, 2006 at 5:30 am · Link

I think number five is from Zoolander – is that it?

21. Robyn
    · October 29th, 2006 at 8:13 am · Link

Cherie, was The Matchmaker the movie with Jeanene Garafolo in Ireland? I loved that movie; but my quote would have gone something like “Don’t be talking about the sh*t bucket in front of company!”

22. December Quinn
    · October 29th, 2006 at 10:28 am · Link

Yep, that was The Matchmaker, Robyn. You know, I thought about using a line from that scene–I also thought about one of the wonderfully silly lines the Senator in that movie says–but I wanted something from one of the Garafolo/O’Hara scenes, since I thought they were so great.

23. Anonymous
    · October 30th, 2006 at 9:05 am · Link

December’s hit the big time. EE is even posting here. -JTC

24. December Quinn
    · October 30th, 2006 at 10:26 am · Link

Even Evil Editors slum it once in awhile, I imagine. :-)

(BTW, you’ve totally let me down. I thought or sure you’d get #12.)

25. Jenn on the Island
    · October 30th, 2006 at 11:10 am · Link

OK, I’m trying again for #13. Is that from Christmas Vacation??