What Stace had to say on Monday, July 16th, 2007
A Quickie Update

Today is the hubs’ birthday, so I’m just popping in quickly with a few little updates.

1. The RWA is beginning its backpedal, as fast as its expensively shod little feet can carry it. They’re forming a Task Force to learn more about epublishing. Better late then never? Yes, but it shouldn’t have been late at all. If you’re going to set rules regarding an industry, you should educate yourself first.

2. The Eighth Wand, my novel for Ellora’s Cave’s Torrid Tarot series, will be released October 17, 2007. Yay! I’m nervous about this one–yeah, I’m nervous about all of them, but this one makes me different because it is different from my usual stuff. My two main characters are much, much more serious people than most of my H/hs–less joking, more angst. As I’ve said before, I was dealing with some feelings of isolation and unhappiness when I was writing it, so although it pokes some fun at a few archetypes (pagan “fluffy bunnies”*, take cover), overall it’s not a particularly funny book. I still really like it, though, I think it’s one of the more emotional and romantic stories I’ve written. Anyway, October 17!

3. The hubs is currently playing Grand Theft Auto 3, one of his birthday gifts. It’s…interesting. :-) The funny thing is at first he kept driving on the wrong side of the road.

*There’s a few good definitions/articles about “fluffy bunnies” here and especially here.

17 comments to “A Quickie Update”

1. Gabriele C.
    · July 16th, 2007 at 12:06 pm · Link

Hm, looks like someone in the RWA had this image of a huge number of e-published authors walking out and not paying member fees any longer. 😉

2. Anonymous
    · July 16th, 2007 at 12:08 pm · Link

I love the GTA series! I like taking the high ground with a sniper rifle and blowing peoples head off. What? I’m perfectly normal. Bwahahahahaha. -V95

3. Camille Alexa
    · July 16th, 2007 at 1:10 pm · Link

Hi-larious fluffy-bunny links.

Happy hub-day.

4. Arin Rhys
    · July 16th, 2007 at 1:20 pm · Link

They need a task force? Pfft. Its not like epublishers are Colombian cartels. They aren’t hiding.

Well, congrats on the release date!

5. Seeley deBorn
    · July 16th, 2007 at 4:33 pm · Link

Happy B-Day to the hubs. (I’ve always liked Siphon Filter better than GTA)

As to point 1. The requirement of a task force proves beyond any doubt that they don’t represent those companies or authors.

I really hope someone starts an eRWA. Then the crusty old bats can have their silly rules and not have to worry about what the rest of the industry is doing.

6. Michele Lee
    · July 16th, 2007 at 5:05 pm · Link

Exactly Seeley! Why not one set of rules for print publishers and one set of epublishers?

Re; the fluffy bunny links amusing, but ironically enough I fall into a few of those categories. Okay, two, I think. And I am far from a fluffy bunny. Love the willow quote “a bunch of wanna blessed bes.” Too funny.

7. Lynne Simpson
    · July 16th, 2007 at 5:27 pm · Link

Congrats on the release date! :-)

I have yet to venture into the GTA series, but I hear it’s quite addictive. Oblivion has been my game of choice for the last year or so. I’m enjoying the scenery so much that I haven’t actually finished all the quests yet.

8. Emily Veinglory
    · July 16th, 2007 at 7:55 pm · Link

Task force, eh? Cart, meet horse.

9. Bernita
    · July 17th, 2007 at 6:04 am · Link

What Emily said.
    Fluff bunnies: so true!

10. Bernita
    · July 17th, 2007 at 6:05 am · Link

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!

· July 17th, 2007 at 7:48 am · Link

Very funny links, D. My Auto Shop is very close to Berkeley, Ca. I have more than a few ‘Fluffies’ for customers. They have a slightly harder edge to them though, more of a mystical coupling of ‘Willow’ and ‘Xena The Warrior Princess’. :)

12. December/Stacia
    · July 17th, 2007 at 9:06 am · Link

It certainly seems that way to me, Gabriele. I’m sure they didn’t expect such an uproar; but they should have.

Hey, you’re getting all that aggression out in a harmless way, V95. :-)

Thanks Camille! They are funny, aren’t they?

Very true, Arin. I don’t see the need for anthropologists either, but hey at least they’re trying.

Seeley, my editor at Juno has some thoughts on that, you should check out the blog (linked in my sidebar.)

13. December/Stacia
    · July 17th, 2007 at 9:09 am · Link

Michele, I think there’s a preponderance of evidence that must be met for true Fluffydom. :-) One or two qualities isn’t such a huge deal.

Thanks Lynne! I do wish I could play games like that. I just hate those fiddly little controllers and I get bored too easily.

Heh heh, Emily, and thanks Bernita!!

I think I’d find those people both scary and amusing, Bernard. I went to Berkeley once. Absolutely hated it, unfortunately. It was like being in a city full of ultra-hip zombies.

· July 17th, 2007 at 12:09 pm · Link

You nailed it, D. Berkeley is a self aggrandizing city of insanity. The inhabitants are amusing until their lips start moving. :)

15. Scary Monster
    · July 17th, 2007 at 5:52 pm · Link

Another book published. Damn, woman you must feelin real good these days. Especially after getting the hubby out of yer hair by giving him a new toy to play with. Wish someone would tell Mrs. Monster about that neat little trick.

STOMP.

16. catie
    · July 17th, 2007 at 8:31 pm · Link

Hee @ “Fluffy Bunnies!” (Had to visit the sites just to reassure myself that I don’t meet the definition. Thankfully I don’t exhibit any “Fluffy” characteristics. Phew!

17. Rhian / Crowwoman
    · July 19th, 2007 at 5:52 pm · Link

happy bday to the hub! I read Robin’s comments on the presentation she gave = surely with savvy women like you and her speaking out someone will come to their senses. won’t they? WON’T they?