What Stace had to say on Sunday, October 14th, 2007
In Which my Nervousness makes me Rude

So, got back from London a few hours ago, had a great time. Went to Harrod’s, saw this tacky-ass statue of Diana ‘n’ Dodi and marvelled at how Mr. Al-Fayed managed to use his own face in most of the decorating. But we got some food there, and ate it in Speaker’s Corner, then headed for Selfridge’s, which was more fun than Harrod’s and had a small selection of American food. I now have enough canned pumpkin to get me through the holidays. And eggnog too! Yay!

Unfortunately, we’d dressed for cool weather and it was fairly warm. We were sweating, especially since the Tube was extremely crowded and it was sweltering down there. I took off my sweater and realized I was, well, a bit smelly from all the sweating. Eep!

So we had some time before the show we were going to started–The Woman in Black, which was pretty good–and hubs wanted to go to the Murder One bookstore on Charing Cross Road, so we did.

They have a romance room there. And in that romance room was an entire bookcase of Ellora’s Cave books–the only ones I’ve found stocked in the UK. YAY!!

A woman was shopping. A lovely and friendly woman. We laughed about the books. We chatted. I gave her my name. And–I still can’t believe this–I was so excited to have found the books, and to have met a nice person who actually thought it was neat that I wrote them, and so worried about being smelly or seeming pushy–I forgot to ask for her name. I gave her mine, and wrote it down for her, but I totally did not even ask for hers. How rude! I felt–and still feel AWFUL. I tried to go after her but she was already gone. It bothered me all through the play.

So, nice bookstore lady, if you’ve Googled me and found me, please email me or leave a comment! I’m so sorry!

I have an enormous blister on my pinkie toe from all the walking, but we had a great day, except for my awful stupid loserness.

I probably won’t post tomorrow, as I am seriously behind on my WIP and need to jam. So this is my Monday post. It’s just a little early.

12 comments to “In Which my Nervousness makes me Rude”

1. writtenwyrdd
    · October 14th, 2007 at 11:33 am · Link

Ah, December, don’t sweat it (pun intended). If she wished, she could have given you her name herself.

I’ve seen a few Ellora’s Cave books on shelves, but just a few. They were intermixed with the other romances. I want to say it was at the Borders in Bangor, Maine, but I am not certain.

2. Camille Alexa
    · October 14th, 2007 at 12:23 pm · Link

If your books had been on that shelf, would you have pulled a Stephen King? Signed some books all sneaky-like and run away before anyone could question what the hell you were doing defacing bookstore property?

3. cyn
    · October 14th, 2007 at 4:34 pm · Link

i love the book stores of london!!i’m sure that other woman wasn’t thinking you were rude at all. and gosh, i need to find an english store, as i got a x’mas pud in harrods, but we don’t have the double cream or custard to go with it. i was stupid not to pick up the custard mix at least …

4. catie
    · October 14th, 2007 at 11:59 pm · Link

An entire room devoted to Ellora’s Cave?! I think I’ve found my next home! :)

5. Demon Hunter
    · October 15th, 2007 at 8:24 am · Link

December,
    I’m pretty sure that the nice woman did not think you were being rude; she could tell you were excited about your work. Don’t worry! :*)

6. Charles Gramlich
    · October 15th, 2007 at 8:52 am · Link

You must be a pretty nice person if you think you were rude in this case. I hardly ever get anyone’s name. Probably couldn’t remember them if I did.

· October 15th, 2007 at 9:47 am · Link

Maybe you can arrange a book signing there.

8. Erica Ridley
    · October 15th, 2007 at 9:59 am · Link

Sounds like an awesome, awesome time! (And I’ve done stuff like the forgot-to-ask-about-you thing before, too… oops. *g)

9. pacatrue
    · October 15th, 2007 at 2:05 pm · Link

I’ve seen The Woman in Black a couple times. In fact, one of the guys in my high school later took over the lead young man role on Broadway a few years later. I bought the script as a model for something I was trying to do once, but the script isn’t all that inspiring.

I agree that you should try to do a book signing at that store.

10. Scary Monster
    · October 15th, 2007 at 5:46 pm · Link

Heck, iffin Me were to be standin in a bookstore in one of the largest cities in the world and Me were talking to someone about something Me had writtten and were right there on the shelves in front of me then mebbe feelin nervous and excited wouldn’t be an unexpected reaction.

Stay Stompy.

P.S. The comment you left were brilliant. It might just keep me from cheating. LOL

11. Rebecca
    · October 15th, 2007 at 6:01 pm · Link

bet you a million bucks she thought you waz charming!

and canned pumpkin? what on earth do you do with that? You Usians certainly have a different relationship with pumpkin than we do down here – pumpkin pies….. pumpkin cookies….hmmmmm…..

12. Vicki
    · October 16th, 2007 at 3:52 am · Link

I agree with the book signing. Who knows the lady might even be there and then you can get her name.

Don’t worry, I’m sure she didn’t think you were rude. We all do that from time to time. Besides you found books, that takes our minds to a whole new level anyway. :)

Sounds like you had a great time regardless of the sweat and the blister. :)