What Stace had to say on Friday, February 1st, 2008
Ohmygod, Sweeney Todd

Okay, well, I was going to show off my new cover, for Day of the Dead, but Blogger isn’t letting me. And I was going to write about Sweeney Todd, but honestly? I loved it too much to even write about it. Just go see it. I can’t even elucidate how much I loved it, or itemize what I loved about it, because nothing stands out, if you know what I mean. It was all so good. Perfect. Every scene, every performance, every shot, perfect. I was freaking out by the end. You know how, when you get really into a mocie, and you’re bouncing in your seat and clenching your fists because you so want things to happen and you so want it all to work out and you so want to see what’s going to happen but you’re afraid to see, too? That’s what I was doing. Then I freaked out some more at the end.

I always love Helena Bonham-Carter but I especially loved her here, like on the level of Fight Club love. She was…beautiful. Johnny Depp… You see from the ellipses how at a loss for words I am. And you know how rare that is for me, ha ha. The thing is, you have two people who you shouldn’t root for, particularly Carter. You root for Depp’s motive, but when things change, you shouldn’t be still gleefully cheering him on and wanting to throw him down on the floor and tear off his clothes. But you do, anyway. Completely. You love them both. You want this crazy bloodsoaked world to become permanent.

Go see it. SO good. So good I want to see it every day.

11 comments to “Ohmygod, Sweeney Todd”

1. Camille Alexa
    · February 1st, 2008 at 10:15 pm · Link

I’m sooooo glad. I was afraid it would be a no-goer.

2. December/Stacia
    · February 2nd, 2008 at 6:20 am · Link

Oh, no, Camilla, it’s awesome. Really, truly amazing from start to finish.

3. Angie
    · February 2nd, 2008 at 8:03 am · Link

I loved it too. :) I mean hey — Johnny Depp! 😀 And wow, he can sing! I was impressed with that right there. And Alan Rickman, being appropriately evil and slimy, while still managing to ooze a slimy attraction that made me feel icky, which was of course perfectly appropriate for his character.

Angie

· February 2nd, 2008 at 9:05 am · Link

Okayyyyyyyy! :)

5. December/Stacia
    · February 2nd, 2008 at 9:10 am · Link

Apparently, Angie, they talked about dubbing him but he really wanted to do the singing, so he rehearsed and rehearsed and rehearsed. I thought his singing was great. I thought HE was great. And yes, Rickman is always fantastic. Oooh it was just so good it gives me goosebumps to think about it!

Lol Bernard. I guess I’m a little enthusiastic, huh?

6. writtenwyrdd
    · February 2nd, 2008 at 11:31 am · Link

Thanks for sharing how much you liked it. I haven’t been able to see it because in rural back-of-beyond Maine we don’t have the option (and I’m not driving 2 hours for thepriveledge). But the reviews were terrible, and I figured this would be a movie I’d like. Bizarro plot with Johnny Depp? How could it go wrong? 😉

7. Charles Gramlich
    · February 2nd, 2008 at 1:11 pm · Link

This actually looks like the first musical ever that I might enjoy. Still, the fact that it’s a musical really makes me leery.

8. Anonymous
    · February 2nd, 2008 at 11:06 pm · Link

I knew it would be fabulous.

Unfortunately, we’ll be waiting for video (can’t take The Boy)

SdB

9. Sam
    · February 3rd, 2008 at 5:01 am · Link

I’m going to take my son – but I think my daughter might be too scared by too much blood and gore. I however, do want to see it! (I’d love to see the stage version, actually…)

10. CaroleMcDonnell
    · February 3rd, 2008 at 8:13 am · Link

oh my!!!! Everyone’s loving this. Might see if I will see this. Was gonna try to see There will be blood. But blood, one way or another, will suit me. And I have a major crush on Johnny Depp. -C

11. Anonymous
    · February 4th, 2008 at 8:02 am · Link

I liked it as well, but not as much as you did. I thought the Fightclub chick was, well, the fightclub chick -right down to the makeup. -V95

I thoroughly enjoyed the Superbowl last night, though -I HATE the Pats (because I’m a Raider fan).