What Stace had to say on Saturday, October 11th, 2008
Oh! I’m in Lady Jaided

Remember I mentioned a while back that Lady Jaided, the Ellora’s Cave emagazine, would be running my “cunt” article? They did! It’s here, slightly edited to aim it more toward readers than writers, and there’s a cute little picture of Shakespeare in there as well.

I’m quite excited about that, actually. It’s my first published non-fiction piece. So go check it out!

9 comments to “Oh! I’m in Lady Jaided”

1. Charles Gramlich
    · October 11th, 2008 at 10:58 am · Link

Congrats. I’ll check it out.

2. Marian
    · October 11th, 2008 at 11:06 am · Link

That was an interesting article, though it made me wonder what the name “Clawcunte” means, and whether it might be painful. 😉

The first time I read the c-word in a sex scene was in the nineties. The man complimented the woman on hers, saying she had a “sweet cunt”. She was offended because to her, the word sounded like a cut of meat. It was great to get a different perspective.

3. laughingwolf
    · October 11th, 2008 at 2:11 pm · Link

grats hon… ‘touchy’ subject :O

4. Angie
    · October 11th, 2008 at 4:29 pm · Link

Fun article. :) I’ve been desensitized to the word for a few years because of another online community where I hang out, where the word was “reclaimed” in a kind of funny way and that helped out a lot. I still got zapped for it in a story, once; my editor made me change it. [sigh] Some day…. [grin]

Angie

5. kirsten saell
    · October 11th, 2008 at 5:01 pm · Link

When I was like 16 I stumbled across it in an old medieval romance called Ann of Cambray by Mary Lide(sp?). The hero is wooing the heroine and tells her something along the lines of “You’re beautiful, all flesh and blood and courage and cunt and everything a man could want.” I was blown away.

Ever since then, I have adored the word.

Great article, D, and it encapsulates my feelings perfectly.

6. December/Stacia
    · October 12th, 2008 at 5:03 am · Link

Thanks everyone!

It really is depressing that such a great word has such negative connotations and such a bias against it. I mean, I see where it came from and I understand it, but it’s so precise and has such impact. I have it in a new project and I’m hoping I don’t get asked to remove it.

It’s also used in the “sweet cunt” context in the second Downside book. I’m pretty confident they won’t ask me to take it out–it’s not actually used in a sex scene at all–but you never know. :-)

· October 12th, 2008 at 8:47 am · Link

Very well done article. I liked Chaucer’s spelling. :)

8. December/Stacia
    · October 12th, 2008 at 11:16 am · Link

I know, isn’t it great, Bernard? I wish we could still spell like that, lol.

Thanks!

9. laughingwolf
    · October 12th, 2008 at 11:56 am · Link

used it in a poem, eons ago, but all the ladies who read it said the same thing: appropriate choice for THAT writing, but generally NOT in most :(