What Stace had to say on Tuesday, September 8th, 2009
Dragoncon ends on a semi-sour note

So, I’m sad Dragoncon has ended. Not just because it was exciting and cool and I met some amazing people, but because the end of the show means Mark, Tiffany, and Synde will be leaving. I hardly got to hang with Richelle or Nicole at all, and they’re already gone.

So in my depression, I thought it might be fun to do a little shopping yesterday. I hadn’t had a chance to head down to the dealer rooms at all–I barely left the Hyatt, where all the dark fantasy stuff was taking place–and since I had no panels, and neither did my pals, I figured it would be a good time.

The dealer rooms were still busy and they’d marked down a lot of stuff; the better not to have to drive it all home, right? And a lot of it was pretty cool stuff, too. I was, being me, particularly interested in the corset sellers, since I love corsets and am always looking for new ones. I have four already and wore one on Sunday, so…a new corset from Dragoncon would have been pretty cool.

I didn’t see any I particularly liked in the first couple of booths–they were beautiful but nothing caught my eye–and when we got to the last and biggest booth, which was “Corsets by Casta Diva,” I was determined to find something I wanted.

I started skimming through the tags looking for 24s. I’d been at it only a minute or two when one of the women who worked there asked me if she could help me find something. We then proceeded to have this conversation:

Me: I’m just looking for 24s. Are they all grouped together, or–

Her: I don’t think you’re a 24.

Me (frowning): All my other corsets are 24s.

Now at this point, I feel as though I’m not only being told I’m fatter than I think I am, but that I am too stupid to know what size I wear or that I’m lying about my size. Not to mention it’s the last day of a con. I’m a little bloated. I haven’t slept more than a few hours since Wednesday night.

Her: Have you been measured?

Me: Not in–

Her: I need to measure you.

I didn’t feel the need to be measured, as I was measured when I moved from 26 to 24 by a very sweet lady at Fairy GothMother in London (where my other corsets came from). But her tone brooked no argument. She clearly expected me to obey or she would throw my fat ass out of the store. So I sigh and hold up my arms so she can measure me, thinking all the while that I don’t understand the need for this and I’m quite irritated by the whole thing. I don’t appreciate being told I don’t know what size I am. I don’t appreciate at all the implication that I’m lying about my size. And frankly, what the hell business is it of hers what size I buy?

So she measures me.

Her: That’s what I thought. You’re really a 25.

Me: …

Her (doubtfully): I guess if you insist on a 24, you can have one.

Me: Thank you.

And that’s when I turned and left. Oh, and informed my friends loudly that I didn’t need anyone else to be bitchy to me. Like that bitchy woman.

Which she was. What the fuck, man? I’m standing there telling you what size I am, and that all my other corsets are that size. But you still feel the need to measure me? And then to tell me that I’m wrong but you guess if I insist, you’ll condescend to give me the size I normally wear? I didn’t ask for your fucking help to begin with. I certainly didn’t ask you to measure me. I’ve been wearing corsets for several years now; trust me, I know how to wear them and what fucking size I am.

So there you go. “Corsets by Casta Diva” could have gotten some of my money, if they’d paid me the respect of assuming that as a regular corset-wearer I know what the fuck I’m doing, and hadn’t gone out of their way to Prove Me Wrong over an inch which is frankly due to con bloat, ladycycles (isn’t that a lovely little euphemism?), and drinking almost an entire bottle of Grey Goose–the big bottles–in three days.

It just ended things on a bit of a sour note. I was already sad that it was ending, and everyone was leaving. I didn’t need to be insulted and informed I was actually much fatter than I thought I was on top of it.

I’ll be back later to post a picture or two and to rant about something else, which had nothing really to do with me but which upset me quite a bit nonetheless.

36 comments to “Dragoncon ends on a semi-sour note”

1. Tyhitia
    · September 8th, 2009 at 10:10 am · Link

Awww, Stacia. That disgusting woman didn’t know you, don’t worry about her. :sad:

May she be infested with the crabs of a thousand whores, and may her arms be too short to scratch them. 😈

2. Julie
    · September 8th, 2009 at 10:10 am · Link

1) That is really shitty.
    2) I feel humongous now.
    3) Her crappy corset probably would have fallen apart the first time you wore it, so you are better off anyway.
    4) Look at it this way, you just got the word out to every fan who also wears corsets never to buy from her 😀

· September 8th, 2009 at 10:48 am · Link

I’m not sure I follow your thinking here. Were you upset because you weren’t a 24 when she measured you or that she was right at the moment? You have to remember she probably gets hammered by other customers if she doesn’t venture help. Clothes sales people have one of the worst jobs. If they sell you what you ask for and it’s wrong, their managers climb all over them for the comeback (and they do check who sold the comeback). If they do their job and make sure the customer gets the correct size, they get hammered because the real size doesn’t match the customer’s previous measurements. I don’t think she was making you fat but simply trying to get you the right size. If you make the choice to buy the 24 after she tells you you’re a 25 then if you bring it back she can tell her manager she measured and recommended the proper size. Yeah, I know… boy am I on thin ice here. :)

3.1
      · September 8th, 2009 at 10:54 am · Link

I was upset because I didn’t need to be measured to begin with. When I told her what size I wanted she should have found it for me, not argued with me about whether or not I measured an inch bigger than normal at that point in time. I was upset because she essentially refused to help me until I let her measure me. I was upset because she was totally condescending and her tone was snippy and rude; she kept interrupting me.

It’s a booth at a convention. They have no internet presence. There would not have been returns. The size difference was a fucking INCH. It wasn’t as though I weighed 350 pounds and asked to buy an 18-inch corset. An inch means nothing either way. I am a thirty-six year old woman. I know what fucking size I am, and she should have respected that; asking me is and was fine, but when I said to her “All of my other corsets are 24s” she should have backed off.

• Kim
      3.2
      · September 8th, 2009 at 6:24 pm · Link

Bernard…the customer is always right…especially after that much booze and the visit from Auntie Flo! Don’t question a woman then!!!

4. Christina Cross
    · September 8th, 2009 at 10:49 am · Link

I bought a leather overbust corset from Pendragon in the Imperial Ballroom. It is freaking awesome! Scarlett’s also has awesome underbust corsets and I am pretty sure both have websites that you can order from (both are xpensive due to good quality fabrics). If you are looking for cheaper prices but still pretty good quality, try Timeless Trends.

And that stupid woman obviously has some issues with her sales techniques!!

Sorry I missed all of you at the con, I was mostly in the Marriott, with occasional trips to Hyatt. Didn’t lay eyes on you, Mark, Richelle, or Jackie the whole Con!

5. synde
    · September 9th, 2009 at 12:34 am · Link

frankly it is unforgivable. I find vendors that are unwilling to give the customer what they want stupid and poor business people. Frankly on the last day of the con when they have a bazillion corsets left they would want to sell something..sad really.

6. driftsmoke
    · September 9th, 2009 at 9:21 am · Link

Stacia, I’m sorry that horrid woman treated you the way she did. What a way to win repeat business! Some folks who work in customer service desperately need to find new jobs because they should not be dealing with people. In the last few years (we’re the same age!!), I’ve noticed an increase of people in customer service jobs who need to be right [or to prove their customers wrong]. Nobody enjoys being made to feel foolish (or fat).

I think you handled it the right way . I get so angry at myself when a salesperson treats me like doodoo and I go ahead and buy their products or use their services. Good for you for not being intimidated into buying that woman’s products.

Hugs for the rest of it. It would have burned my ass, too.

7. Tyhitia
    · September 9th, 2009 at 12:03 pm · Link

Stacia,

When you get a chance, please go look at the movie trailer on my blog. I KNOW you’ll want to see that movie. 😀

8. MT
    · September 30th, 2009 at 9:34 pm · Link

Just want to say, I used to work for them. And while their corsets are actually good quality, the owner is a big awful Bitch. Really fucking awful bitch. I was at D*con this year, and she was the one working the booth. The normal salespeople are nice and care about the customer, but she doesn’t. She really does think she knows better than you.
    So, although the quality is good, the customer service alone means it deserves shunning.
    (Not to mention how she treats her employees… she used to yell at me for giving the customers what they want)

8.1
      · October 12th, 2009 at 10:07 am · Link

Thanks for the info! Yes, she really was a terrible bitch right from the beginning. And it doesn’t surprise me at all that she was a hideous boss as well.

I’m still irritated about this, even now, just over a month later, and wish I’d told her flat-out that she was an asshole and would never get my money. Sigh.

9. Kayla
    · January 9th, 2010 at 8:34 pm · Link

I’ve actually been looking for a corset myself and I have not heard one good thing about Casta Diva. I tried one of theirs on this past summer at a renaissance faire and it felt way too big on me. I don’t think they measured me right. I’ve been told to stay far away from them.

10. Stace
    · January 11th, 2010 at 2:05 pm · Link

Really? I’d never heard of them before but yours seems to be a pretty common response! :-) Thanks for the comment!

Do you need a US-based place where you can try them on, too, or can you do mail order?

11. Kayla
    · January 11th, 2010 at 4:34 pm · Link

I know they are based in the US in PA, but they don’t even have a website. This is their info I believe..

Casta Diva
    (717) 764-2469
    2379 Carlisle Rd, York, PA 17408

I know alot of people have problems getting in contact with them, even for returns and repairs. When I was doing some research on them when I was looking for a corset I stumbled upon this…

Not too many people have good things to say about them.

12. TheStitchWitch
    · January 27th, 2010 at 3:07 am · Link

I found you’re blog post while googling that “corset” maker. I’ve had a few run ins with her over the years at our local ren fair.

Apparently she recognized my partner and I as corsetiers and threw us out of her shop. Supposedly we were there to steal her “designs”. Trust me, there was nothing in there I would ever attempt to replicate. Aside from the fact that I don’t do that, her “corsets” are badly constructed boned tube tops with no waist definition at all. Reversible is not a quality you want in a real corset ever.

Also, she claims that the fabrics she uses are her own patented design and no one else has access to them which is complete bullshit. Last time I checked, there were at least two vendors on ebay that carry all the same fabrics she uses.

A good corset maker should stand by their work and be happy to show it off to other makers. I’ve met many who are not threatened by my presecence and the “design stealing” has not occurred.

12.1
      · July 21st, 2010 at 5:42 pm · Link

Thanks, Stitch Witch! I’m sorry it took me so long to reply. I’m sorry I don’t see a link for a website, either! Do you have one?

That doesn’t surprise me. I actually equate this with meeting other writers who don’t want to share their finished work with you because “you might steal their ideas.” Ninety-nine times out of a hundred their ideas aren’t any good anyway, frankly.

Those of us who write professionally love to share ideas, and see what kind of new inspiration sparks from those. We brainstorm with each other all the time. Quite a few times I’ve come up with a great idea for a story, but known instinctively that it wasn’t “my kind” of story, and given it to a friend I thought might be able to do something with it. And quite a few times friends of mine have done the same for me.

I’d imagine it’s the same for you, especially when Casta Diva doesn’t have a website or anything, so their customer base is already pretty limited.

Anyway, thanks again for commenting!

13. Caitlin
    · July 20th, 2010 at 1:17 pm · Link

Hey there,

I currently work for Casta Divettes at the Bristol Ren Faire.

The only reason I can think of for your mistreatment is because we get harped on not by other customers, but by the owner herself to sell sell SELL!! The corsets themselves are actually VERY well-made and are made to last a long time, but admittedly, are pretty overpriced. I myself wouldn’t have been that rude to you, but then again, I’m not in the boss’s best eyes right now because I couldn’t sell fast enough for her.

You may have had the “look” that they tell us to look for when we first start – “If they look like they’re anywhere from seventeen to twenty-five, get ’em in and get ’em out, cause they’re probably not going to buy anything and we want them out of our store.” We’re also told to watch this age group like a hawk because “they’re going to take the stuff off the rack and put it back in the wrong place.”

Now, I don’t personally think that (I made quite a few sales to this particular demographic) but that’s what they try to drill into your head when you first start. It’s not the nicest place to work. Like someone just said, the boss isn’t the nicest lady around. (I’m terrified of her, to be completely honest) Unfortunately, the job market is such that I don’t really have a choice.

I’m very sorry you were treated so poorly when you tried to buy from them. :( It makes me sad to hear this sort of thing. But if you’re in the area of Bristol, Wisconsin, and you want to have proper service paid to you, just come to the Ren Faire, head for Casta Divettes, look for the natural blonde, or ask for Cait. That’s me. :) If not, I completely understand. If I’d recieved such poor service, I would have boycotted them as well.

13.1
      · July 21st, 2010 at 5:52 pm · Link

Oh, thanks Caitlin!

If you were coming with them to Dragoncon I’d definitely stop in and say hello, but Wisconsin is a bit far for me. :)

I do think the woman I dealt with was the owner; she was older, if I remember correctly. I just remember her incredibly rude tone of voice, and her refusal to just answer my simple question. (Oh, but thank you for either assuming I’m under twenty-five or that I look like I am!)

I’ve worked for shitty bosses before myself, so I’m sorry you’re having to deal with it. And she’s obviously an idiot, because anyone with a brain would see that employees who actually care about their customers are valuable. Her whole philosophy just seems lousy. I hope you find another job soon.

14. Becky
    · August 8th, 2010 at 11:54 pm · Link

Just leaving a note because I ran across this while searching for the Casta Diva website.

I stopped in today at the Bristol Renn Faire and…wow. I got completely different service than you got! Everyone in the shop was quite pleasant and helpful. I thought I knew the size I was going to be (from when I was measured two years ago), but was completely wrong (in that good, got smaller way) so I was glad I was measured again.

I didn’t really appreciate getting hounded by a tape measure the second I walked in the shop. I wanted to look around before they shoved a corset on my back, but at least being measured cut down on my browsing choices.

Maybe…just maybe…the better customer service is because of lost customers such as yourself sounding the alarm to the shit-fest you’ve gotten at other events.

On the issue of the quality of the corsets…I tried on several from various shops and those produced the best “I’m 16 again” waist of any of them. They were, unfortunately, the least comfortable, but granny always told me I can be pretty or comfortable, never both. :)

Post-script: We ended up not buying because the price wasn’t right and my husband-who-must-fork-over-cash was unhappy with the pushiness.

14.1
      · November 23rd, 2010 at 12:35 am · Link

Sadly, Becky, it appears from the comment I got today (sorry, yours never came through my email for some reason) that it hasn’t really improved. It’s just occasionally that woman isn’t there. Maybe you met Caitlin, who commented above?

If I were ever going to go to a Ren Faire it would have to be that Bristol one, thanks to all the commenters who seem to have had a great time there!

• Matt Payne
        14.1.1
        · November 10th, 2011 at 8:45 am · Link

Been buying from costa diva for years for my girl friends. never had a problem. Honestly, Caitlin is a fucking Gem of Girl and if you read this HI SWEETIE! Fact is they are very persistent on measuring you. There was a pretty good reason why Caitlin told me. Every once and a while you get a girl who tries to use the Fredrick method of sizing and that is she thinks shes a 22 when she is a 27. My ex uses this method. Caitlin asked if I was sure and I said yes she told me that size herself. I got it and shipped it to her But once she wedged her fat ass into it, she popped a rib out no less then three hours later. Course I sent it back and she sent me a refund.

We went to costa diva at ACEN later that year. she said she was a 22 again. I called bull shit and so did the girl working. I demanded she get measured before I dropped as much as the one she wanted. She got measured three times and all three times. TADA a 27. we bought a 27 and lowel and behold it fits. So their is a method to the madness. Also buying an a corset that doesnt fit right can cause back and respiratory issues.

NOW LISTEN UP. If you want to get a hold of them remember that for about 6 months out of the year they are traveling across the country selling. if you want to get a hold of them. Do it by Face book. Its quickest.

Also as far as pictures go. They are very protective of knock offs because it does happen at ren fairs. It happens online. They dont want every chick in the fair making the same corsets as them. They dont want people selling stuff claiming it is theirs ether which has happened. If you ever want to see Caitlin pissed. Tell her some one is knocking off her corsets. Been doing business with them for 5 years and seen it once….and it was scary enough. She walked into the booth at ACEN with one of their Chinese dress style corsets. Told the guy if he didn’t pull it she was going to sue his ass then get his ass banned from detour.

In closing you get what you pay for and that is you get a wonderful product that as long as your sized right will fit tight and sexy. Trust me on the sexy part. Also I am 25 and have been buying from them for GFs since I was 18. None of them have ever complained about them once and I have more then likely bought between 15 to tweenty corsets from them. one for every con and renfair I have been to that they have been to.

15. Guen
    · September 26th, 2010 at 5:34 pm · Link

Just wanted to say I liked the service I got there and I absolutely love my corset. :)

Is the owner a kinda short, black woman?

I thought she was pleasant. But then again, I am a customer.

As a matter of fact I have my corset on right now. :)

(Oh, I also bought it at the Bristol Ren Faire!)

• MT
      15.1
      · September 28th, 2010 at 2:41 pm · Link

I’m glad she’s hired some good managers, but no, that’s not the owner (unless Casta Diva got bought out). And I do still love both my corsets from them. :) Glad you had a good experience!

16. Kristen
    · November 22nd, 2010 at 11:22 am · Link

I visited the Texas RenFest yesterday and stopped by Casta Diva’s shop. I’ve wanted a corset for years and finally decided to bite the bullet. The whole experience was just awful. The owner was rude to me, yelled at me (true story), and even talked about me “behind my back” to others in the shop while I was still right there, loud enough to where I could hear. I just wanted to buy a corset and get the right one for me. Most other places are happy to serve and make sure the customer is happy. Not this place. The corsetier, or owner, is quite possibly one of the rudest people I’ve ever had contact with in the clothing service industry. She and other members of her staff complained about everything, my desire for a specific color, the way my costume made them hard to fit, etc. The whole time I felt very pressured to buy, and even though I walked in there WANTING to buy, they were still all over me with the pushiness. I took quite a long time to decide, because I wasn’t going to shell out that much money for a corset if it wasn’t exactly what I wanted, but I did really want a corset and I walked in with every intention of buying one. I guess she got fed up when I said “I like everything except one thing and I’m still trying to decide if it is worth the money or not”, because she tore the thing off of me, put it on the rack again and then proceeded to complain in front of employees and other customers. This is not the fun, friendly, whimsical attitude I have come to love at RenFest. I was appalled and offended at the treatment I got there. I also felt a little violated, the way she practically ripped the corset from my body. No one should ever be treated the way I was at that shop, regardless of if they spend money or not. There are just some decencies that should not be taken away. It made me sick to hand over my hard-earned money and get what I actually wanted, which was just a corset. I wish I could get my money back now, because I regret supporting such a poorly-run business. And then I would want to slap her in the face with my corset for good measure. I should have gone somewhere else. All the poor reviews and bad experiences recounted here have convinced me that this woman is at the heart of the problem. I am distraught that my beloved RenFest has been tainted by this woman and her awful attitude toward her patrons. I will always come back to RenFest, but I will never quite feel the same about it due to this experience. And I will certainly never spend another cent at Casta Diva.

16.1
      · November 23rd, 2010 at 12:38 am · Link

Oh, Kristen, I’m so sorry to hear this! But please don’t let it ruin the fair for you if that’s something you ordinarily enjoy. I know it’s hard not to–thanks to a couple of awful maternity nurses I still can’t think of my first daughter’s birth without getting upset–but do try.

And hey, you got a corset you like. That’s what’s important. And now you have a story to tell, right?

(Am I helping at all?)

Thanks for the comment!

17. Kayla
    · November 23rd, 2010 at 12:04 am · Link

In my search for a corset/bodice, I ran into these awesome shops!

I know both of the owners and they are very lovely to work with. I personally ordered a custom bodice and chemise from Devlyn at Oddbodkin and both turned out awesome!

17.1
      · November 23rd, 2010 at 12:43 am · Link

Thanks Kayla. Normally I don’t allow links in comments like that, but I’m going to keep these; I’m somewhat familiar with Catherynne Valente and I guess there’s a connection there, however slight, with the second site you linked to, so that’s okay with me.

Just for anyone who stumbles across this thread, though (and I know people do, literally every single day): I have never bought corsets from either of those places and know nothing about them. So shop there at your own risk, okay? I’m mainly just leaving the links because I’m taking Kayla there at face value, and if one of my readers recommends something I’ll let that stay. But I have no proof that’s the case. Take that as you will.

18. Jess P
    · February 19th, 2011 at 11:16 pm · Link

I just had to leave a comment regarding Casta Diva. When they first opened a booth up at PARF, they had some pretty amazing gowns and doublets, very few corsets. My parents purchased outfits for my wedding and they were altered to fit them included in the price. Less than a year later, they switched over to the corset/skirt combos at a ridiculous price. My hubby and I were at the NYRF and happened to walk past one of their shops. An older gentleman took a picture of one of the mannequins and was yelled at for taking photos. He was told he had to delete the photo, or have his camera confiscated. They are absolutely ridiculous there. I despise the fact they are at faires and that people purchase from them.

19. Thalia
    · December 1st, 2011 at 8:48 pm · Link

I’m shocked that anyone in this thread had anything positive to say about the quality of Casta Diva corsets. They’re fracking AWFUL. Poorly made, plastic (WTF?!?!) boning, and even more plastic fabrics (shiny, metallic, and crunchy polyester). The only time we set foot in their shop at Bristol is to laugh. It’s all grossly overpriced nasty shite to hustle the n00bs.

20. April
    · February 15th, 2012 at 9:41 pm · Link

So I have been thinking about getting a new corset from an awesome place many Rennies had recommended, Damsel in this Dress, and it reminded me of my experience with Casta Diva this last October. I actually bought my first corset from them 2 years ago and for Halloween I added some removable leaves to it to fit my costume theme. While I was at the Texas Renfest I happened to walk past the shop and an extremely rude older woman came out of the shop and started yelling at me in front of everyone asking what had I done to HER corset. I was flabergasted. I told her it was on my body so I was pretty sure that made it mine and walked off. Now I am in the market for a new one and I wouldnt consider them for anything!

21. Raevyn
    · March 3rd, 2012 at 10:06 pm · Link

I have to agree with the “DON’T BUY FROM CASTA DIVA” crowd, at least if you plan to wear your corset outside in the heat. Artificial fabrics don’t breathe and you’ll be hot & miserable, even in a properly fitted corset. I’ve friends who worked for them at the TX Ren Fest a couple of years ago, and they hated every minute of it, so much so, that they won’t even consider working at a booth at faire again.
    I’ve owned Pendragon and Odd Bodkin bodices, and they’ve worked out really well for supporting ample bosom. I know Devlyn personally and would absolutely recommend her for any of her stuff, custom, or off the rack. I have also met Nikki of Mayfaire Moon, and know several folks with her corsets, all of whom are exceedingly happy with them.

All of that being said, different people have different corseting needs. A GOOD corset salesperson is willing to listen to the customer and their needs, and when the customer states that they have multiple other corsets or bodices and KNOWS what they’re talking about, they absolutely should not be treated as you were!. I once bought one from another vendor, and they helped me out of my bodice which was CLEARLY a quality & well-known vendor (also at that festival). I expressed some concern that the corset was a bit too big, but they assured me that there was plenty of room for me to be able to wear it through several more inches of weight loss. The following day, my friend laced me in PROPERLY, and lo & behold, it was laced completely shut. I marched back down to the shop & showed them that it was indeed NOT the right size, since I’d specifically stated that I wanted to be able to have several inches to go, as I was in the midst of weight loss. They didn’t have anything else that might fit, never offered to explain their sizing system to me so I might order online, and generally didn’t care that I was furious and demanding my money back (which I DID receive). Casta Diva is not the only corsetier with terrible customer service!

22. Lauren
    · March 18th, 2012 at 1:21 pm · Link

I previously worked for the company at the Georgia Renaissance Festival, and I completely understand what you are saying. The owners insisted that we harass anyone that entered the shop. We were not allowed to take no for an answer. It does not matter what you say your size is, we must measure you anyway. We were not allowed to let the customers browse the merchandise because it was “pointless”. Basically, if we did not hold your hand every step of the way, we were bitched at. They don’t care if the customer is happy because they feel that they are too good to care about such petty things. It is quite sad. The owner, Leigh, is simply not cut out for the business she has chosen to be in.

23. Lorah
    · August 19th, 2012 at 3:50 pm · Link

I found this blog googling Casta Diva because I keep seeing them all over Bristol — I think one year, they had three seperate locations — and honestly am *not* impressed. This year, I watched a saleslady try to sell my stick-thin best friend a 30″ corset because that was the only one they had left in the color she wanted. She’s 5’9″, 120 lbs, and probably more like a 22″ (if she should even be wearing a corset at all, she’s seriously got no fat for it to shape). And why don’t any of their corsets have a modesty panel? It’s unflattering on everybody and makes the corset look so cheap. I have a couple of factory-made Mr Ray corsets that I bought on eBay for literally a quarter of the price of a Casta Diva, and even those have modesty panels… I’d expect far more from something that’s supposed to be “handmade” and “quality.”

24. Tola Naomi
    · November 6th, 2013 at 11:12 am · Link

I bought two Casta Divas last year. One was defective and they took it back in a week. The other had boning come through. I could not reach them – AT ALL calling all the numbers I had found on the web, their Facebook page, etc. Finally had to wait until the returned to the Bay Area Ren Fest (aka BARF) and return it in 2013. They said they would ship it for repairs. And that’s when the trouble started. TO DATE I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL THEY DID WITH MY CORSET! They claim they didn’t receive it – YOUR PERSON TOOK IT FROM ME. They claim she didn’t have a right – THAT WAS YOUR PROCEDURE, NOT MINE. They claim she shipped it wrong – THE TRACKING INFO SHOWS WHO/WHEN IT WAS RECEIVED. I have sent photos, copies of the receipts, etc and STILL – NOTHING. So I am SUING them in small claims court and trying to get them banned from BARF. I sold the other overpriced PoS to someone at a loss as I REFUSE to wear her crap ever again! DO NOT BUY CASTA DIVA – DIVA IS RIGHT! THEY DO NOT- I REPEAT – DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT, THEY REFUSE TO WORK WITH THE CUSTOMER AND THEY LIE CONSTANTLY, CHANGING THEIR STORY EVERY SINGLE TIME OR NEVER RESPONDING!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!! 😈

25. Labrynth
    · October 11th, 2014 at 5:09 am · Link

There are multiple different styles at Casta. The lower priced items have plastic boning while the Vics (Of which I own 4) have metal boning. I don’t care for anything but the Vics personally which are more true corsets than the costume ones. But since people are in the Victoria’s Secret mindset, she has provided something in that arena.

I will back what others have said about how they are treated while working there… she asked me to help her out one year at a Ren Faire and I didn’t like how she treated anyone.

She also ripped off Odd Bodkin’s bodice style (BTW Odd Bodkin does NOT do true corsets folks, they are bodices only) for her Castanza bodice, which is a rip off of the Brigatine bodice from OB. I know because I was wearing the OB bodice she based the style off of when I bought a corset and left it there because I swapped to the corset. That has never sat right with me and I notified OB then as well.

The person above me is correct about sizing as well. Corsets from different makers can fit differently and sometimes you’re not the same size. I’m a 24 on your average cookie cutter corset, a 25 in Casta and a 26 in Marvelous Mayhem (Who is also at D*C and frankly freaking FABULOUS). While there’s no excuse for rudeness, also consider the number of people who buy the wrong size then will come back and demand they were fitted wrong. THIS is why she has no internet presence. You can’t buy one of her corsets online because you can’t be fitted. You can only do it in person.

Most of the corsets at D*C, aside from Pendragon, Casta and Mayhem off the top of my head, are your basic mass produced corset. *shrug* Those don’t interest me much. TBH I love the gentle curve Casta’s give as opposed tot he usual pinched look many of those types give. So it’s all preference.

• Gravebunny
      25.1
      · January 28th, 2015 at 2:44 pm · Link

Can someone please tell me if Casta Diva of York, Pa is the same company that is in Texas?