What Stace had to say on Friday, March 5th, 2010
More thoughts on sales, and especially on libraries

First, I forgot to mention here (though I have put it on Twitter a few times) that I’m doing a chat at BookSmugglers and it lasts until tomorrow, and when you ask me a question you’re entered to win a complete set of the Demons books. So if you haven’t stopped by already, please do!

Second…well. My last post got considerably more attention that I ever anticipated, so that was quite a surprise. And I have some follow-up questions about it, but those I think will wait until another time. At the moment I just want to address one thing quickly, and another in a bit more detail.

First, as always, when you put things out on the internet and people see it, they’re going to react, just like when you write a book and put it out there people are going to react. And really, part of being a writer is learning to accept that and let the negative stuff roll off your back, or learn from it. It really doesn’t bother me anymore, and the comment I want to discuss didn’t bother me personally, I just find it’s indicative of what the whole point of my post the other day was.

I discovered, quite by accident, that apparently there are some people who feel that Moira and myself, and any other writer who shares our opinions, are simply kissing ass. I find this extremely sad, I have to admit. Is this what the world has come to, that when people see a wrong and speak up about it they’re immediately assumed to have some sort of ulterior motive?

Have we really reached a point where “Writers hate readers” has become the default position, so any writer who claims to actually like readers and want to see them treated well is automatically suspected of just being a big old liar, who probably spends their private, secret hours lurking in bookstores and tripping innocent readers as they pass by, just for fun? Or who runs around various reader blogs and sites leaving anonymous comments along the lines of “You’re all just thieves why don’t you go fuck yourselves you selfish bastards?” Seriously. Am I the only one who finds it really sad that we live in a world where a writer who says “I love readers, and want to please them, and want to see them treated like human beings instead of dogs,” must be an ass kisser, because the person making the accusation apparently can honestly not imagine any other reason why a writer might feel that way and express that feeling?

The thing is, I’ve been writing for about eight years now. I’ve been seriously writing–with an eye toward publication–for about five, and I’ve been publishing for almost five. Now, math is not my strong suit at all, but that’s about 6% of my entire life that I’ve spent as a professional writer. I’ve been a reader since I was four, which means I’ve been a reader for about 95% of my life (I think).

Which brings me to the other topic. As I followed links back to my post and other people having discussions about this topic, I found a sizable minority of readers who seem to honestly believe that writers hate libraries. I even found one who said an author she knows (she actually said “a new author,” which I find very telling) informed her that libraries who loan ebooks are thieves who violate the law, and that if she had her way every library would be made illegal because they all steal profits from writers.

Personally? I think if you show me a writer who doesn’t love libraries, I’ll show you a writer who really doesn’t care about literacy or reading or the craft of writing, but is merely interested in writing-as-get-rich-quick-scheme and in playing Author: The RPG.

Because a writer is supposed to care about reading. And about reading being something for all people. You guys already know my feelings on a future where literacy is only accessible to the wealthy. That’s not just a future where everyone has to pay to publish, it’s a world without libraries.

We didn’t have a lot of money when I was a kid, and I was a voracious reader. I read anything and everything I could get my hands on. And where did I manage to get my hands on books? At the library. We went every two weeks to return a stack of books and check out a new one. I read so many books the library gave me a special dispensation to go over the limit, because at that time children weren’t permitted to take out more than, I think, five at a time.

My fifth birthday present was a library card. I’d been getting books from the library already, of course, but my mom had to check them out for me because you had to be five to have your own library card. So bright and early on the morning I turned five, my mom took me to the library so I could get my Very Own Library Card. I’m sure I got other gifts that year, but that library card is the one I remember; it was one of the best presents I ever got.

Every year the library had a summer reading program, where you read books, filled out a little report on them, and handed them in to get stickers and prizes. Every year my little sticker row was full by mid-July.

There is no way in hell my parents could have afforded to buy me enough books to feed my habit. The library was all I had.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that I wouldn’t be a writer today if not for the library, for all libraries (because when we’d exhausted our local we’d visit some of the other libraries in the system). I would never have had access to all the wonderful books I read as a kid and a preteen and a teenager if not for the library.

And I want other kids to have that. I want them to be able to escape into books the way I did. I want them to grow up knowing that just because you don’t like one book doesn’t mean there aren’t thousands of others out there just waiting for you. I want that because I care about people reading. I want people to keep reading. I want kids to grow up reading and to love reading.

Because I love reading. I love words. I love it all. The process of writing is a sensory one, a sensual one, a journey of discovery every time. Finding new ways to play with words, to make them fit together, to use them so that when a sentence is done it says exactly what I mean it to say…that’s exciting. It’s always exciting. It’s always fun. I believe firmly, and I always have, that if you can read, and understand what you read, you can do pretty much anything; reading is the basis of intellect.

So it shocks me to find a writer–or someone who calls him- or herself a writer–who believes that literacy and books should only be accessible to those who can pay for it. There’s no sense there of the beauty and wonder of words and how they can change and touch people’s lives. This is someone who sees words not as tools for expression and the building blocks of our entire society, but as clicks in a cash register. I have a hard time believing that person truly loves writing, which makes it hard for me to believe there’s any real passion in their writing, which makes it hard, frankly, to believe they’re any damn good at it.

Libraries and piracy are totally different things. There is no similarity there. The fact that libraries buy their books–and usually buy them for more than cover price, sometimes considerably more–isn’t the issue. The issue is respect. Pirates hurt me; libraries make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

So there I go, I guess, kissing ass again. :roll:

40 comments to “More thoughts on sales, and especially on libraries”

1. Stephanie Draven
    · March 5th, 2010 at 2:24 pm · Link

The Great Library of Alexandria was a collection of the most important knowledge in the ancient world, and it was gathered _at a price_ that kept writers writing and advanced society. Today our libraries serve the same function, with an additional twist that they are built and maintained with the obvious consent and wealth of the community.

Pirates by contrast are not interested in preserving anything, nor do they think they owe anything to the public good.

1.1
      · March 5th, 2010 at 8:40 pm · Link

That’s a really good way of looking at it, Stephanie. I never thought of it that way, but you’re right. :)

2. Amy
    · March 5th, 2010 at 2:26 pm · Link

Obviously this person doesn’t understand how a library works–hell, I didn’t until I started working at one–they pay for everything they loan. Unless it’s donated, in which case the person donating has purchased the material.
    In those I associate with digital media is treated like any other library material. You have a set amount of time to enjoy your loan before it expires.
    I’m really sorry people think libraries ‘steal’ from authors. In some cases I’ve actually had patrons fall in love with an author and purchase books for their own collections.
    I pose this question in return: Why would libraries steal from the hands that feed them?

2.1
      · March 5th, 2010 at 8:46 pm · Link

Yeah, I know. The loan of an ebook, when it’s removed from the library system when it’s borrowed and returned to the system when it’s deleted from the borrower’s system, is no different at all from the loan of a paper book. The piracy issue comes in with ebooks when you’re duplicating it; libraries don’t duplicate.

It’s also perfectly legal for me to purchase and download an ebook onto my computer or onto an ereader and loan the entire device out.

And yeah, the idea of libraries as some sort of book-stealing cartel is just silliness. Sigh.

• Nonny
      2.2
      · March 6th, 2010 at 3:21 pm · Link

I don’t know about this particular person, but the argument I have seen from others is that since libraries in some other countries pay small royalties per copy loaned, that the US library system should, and that since they don’t, they’re cheating writers. Never mind the fact that libraries all over the damn country are having trouble due to lack of funding. When I was living back in MA, a library closed in the next town over because they didn’t get enough funding to function. :(

3. Synde
    · March 5th, 2010 at 3:05 pm · Link

Awesome post Stacia! My sister has been a librarian for over 29 years!! I go into libraries often, yes even though I work at a book store!! They are a tool I would
    NOT want to lose!!

3.1
      · March 5th, 2010 at 8:48 pm · Link

Thanks, Synde. It would be quite bad if there were no libraries. :)

4. Mona
    · March 5th, 2010 at 5:06 pm · Link

If there were no libraries I have no idea what I would have done as a kid. I was a voracious reader then, just as I am today. My family never really supported my book addiction, but had no problem with my getting books from the library. As an adult, I do try to purchase books by authors I really like because i know that’s how they support themselves. I want them to keep writing and if they have to have a job other than writing they don’t write as much. So yes, it is important to support writers when you can by buying their books. But if you can’t afford it, there is no problem getting your book fix at the library. I go there to find new books to try. That way if I like a writer I will go out and buy their books. But if i don’t then I didn’t spend money on something I don’t like. I am not rich. I have a limited amount of money to spend on books, and I want to make sure it goes to support authors I like. I have always wondered how authors in general felt about libraries. I assumed that they were supportive of them. But I can’t say I am surprised to hear some authors don’t like them because it keeps people from spending money on their books. It’s so sad.

• Moira Rogers - Bree
      4.1
      · March 5th, 2010 at 6:40 pm · Link

I’ve been accused of sucking up before, and I probably will again. Really what they should be accusing me of is being a crotchety consumer, because I’ll admit to that any day.

I vote with my wallet. A lot. I’ve been doing it since I got a wallet. I don’t like being told what to do with the contents of my wallet, so I’m not going to do it to anyone else, either. It’s pretty much as simple as that. (I am not organized or goal-oriented enough for ulterior motives, much to my dismay.)

And ditto on the library thing. I grew up in a fishing village where the closest bookstore was an hour away, but we had a tiny little library and a librarian who tirelessly ordered books for me that I never would have been able to get on my own. I can’t imagine my life without libraries.

• Moira Rogers - Bree
        4.1.1
        · March 5th, 2010 at 6:41 pm · Link

Whoops, and I’ve proven myself highly incapable of navigating nested comments. Too many cookies tonight! 😆

4.1.2
        · March 5th, 2010 at 8:58 pm · Link

Lol, exactly. I’ll spend my money where and when I like, thank you.

And you know, we could extend this sucking-up pretty far if we liked. If I mention how I enjoyed INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS it’s because I’m sucking up to Quentin Tarentino. Eating Reese’s Peanut Butter cups is me sucking up to the Reese’s people. I guess I’m sucking up to my children when I tell them I love them, huh? That’s me, the big old kissass. 😉

And yeah, I have to write reminders to myself to answer emails. I’m really not organized enough for a full asskissing campaign. {{hugs}}

4.2
      · March 5th, 2010 at 8:53 pm · Link

No, I’m not surprised, either, but in general I think it’s an attitude you don’t find so much. It is sad, though.

5. Rob
    · March 5th, 2010 at 7:04 pm · Link

So if libraries didn’t make your books available to be borrowed, and make you fell all warm and fuzzy inside, would you be able to garner that feeling? If we took libraries out of the equation for a moment, if you KNEW that no one would read what you wrote, would you still do it?
    If you don’t write for that “warm and fuzzy” feeling, then what do you write for?

5.1
      · March 5th, 2010 at 9:10 pm · Link

Hi Rob, I replied to your other comment asking basically this same question on my other post. :)

6. Lura
    · March 5th, 2010 at 7:59 pm · Link

Great post, Miss Stacia.

I was lucky growing up in that my parents spoiled me rotten, buying me almost everything I wanted. Which, more often than not, was books. I owned every Baby Sitter’s Club book up through number 70 or so, including some duplicates. (I have since passed them on to a younger cousin.)

My parents also took me to the library at least a couple of times a month. I, too, got my own library card as soon as I could. Even with all the books my parents bought me, I still checked at least two out of the library every time we went. When money was tight, we simply went to the library more often so I could check out more books.

Ever since I first started getting an allowance, more than half of my money has gone to buying books. (Not so much now that I’m all grown up and have yucky bills to pay.)

About three years ago, I started working at the local Waldenbooks. This was a great job for me. I love working with books. And I got to feed my book habit without having to pay full cover price (employee discount).

This past January, the Waldenbooks I worked at closed. So now I’m unemployed. So no income at the moment. Worst part for me is I can’t buy any books.

Luckily, my local library rocks. I go in every two weeks to restock. I didn’t go very often while working at the bookstore, but still went occasionally. Now I go regularly.

I love libraries and always have. I appreciate them more now that I’m older, though. I am so glad libraries exist!

6.1
      · March 6th, 2010 at 3:24 pm · Link

Thanks Lura! Oh, I’m so sorry about your bookstore closing. That just sucks so much. I hate seeing bookstores close, and it’s one reason why I do encourage readers to shop at brick-and-mortar stores as much as possible. They need our business.

My parents did buy my books whenever they could, too. Santa brought books every year, or we would make a trip to a local bookstore (sometimes a used bookstore, sometimes a new one), but yeah, there was no way they could keep up with the amount of books I could and did read.

And yeah, to imagine a world without libraries is a very unpleasant thought. I hate the way literacy seems to be marginalized more and more.

7. TDB
    · March 6th, 2010 at 2:23 am · Link

Property taxpayers are well aware that libraries do not steal books.

Libraries do nothing but help book sales. (So do readers. 😉 )

7.1
      · March 6th, 2010 at 3:27 pm · Link

I agree that they help sales. And honestly? Even if they didn’t I think they would be necessary. I think of it kind of as noblesse oblige, really; just as doctors perform a certain amount of pro bono work, so writers have some of their work in libraries. Does that make sense?

8. Mireya
    · March 6th, 2010 at 7:16 am · Link

Hi, I just “landed” here via Mrs. Giggles.

All I am going to say is that there are asshats on both sides of the scope: readers and authors. Many asshats tend to be ignorant of many many things and have no problem spewing the misinformed asshattery. Oh yeah, they are vocal, and in most cases, LOUD. They are not a majority though. This happens in all other areas. We don’t have to look far to see this… can we say politics?

I don’t think the majority of readers think writers hate them. I don’t think the majority of readers think that authors believe readers are thieves. However, it does get mighty annoying to many of us readers (particularly those of us who enjoy reading books in eformats) when some authors new to the scene start spreading their misconceptions and misinformation regarding, for example, ebook piracy. I’ve lashed out a couple of times against certain comments Ive found online regarding ebook piracy. But no, I don’t think authors in general are the “evil empire”…. as much as a few of authors do a fantastic job of impersonating Darth Vader 😉

Then we have the misinterpretation factor. Online we only have written words. No tone of voice, no body language. Either you spend time measuring how you say things CONSTANTLY, or you risk sounding like an asshat at some point or another. Personally, I admit I cut people some slack, but I tend to be harsher with authors. Why? Because authors are supposed to be masters of the written word, and they, better than anyone else, are supposed to know how to use and manipulate words…. and if the author is the sort that is not that good socially speaking … they should stay CLEAR from personal interaction and expressing too many opinions in public, as they are bound to end up being misinterpreted if they are not careful. Of course, some readers like the shock value some authors bring with their over the top comments … me (and many others like me) not so much…

Thing is that usually it is the negative comments and statements what stick in the collective mind. That never fails, happens in workplaces, happens in families, you see that in real life constantly.

8.1
      · March 6th, 2010 at 3:40 pm · Link

Hi Mireya! Yeah, I just saw that Mrs. G was kind enough to link to my posts; I do really like that lady, and it’s always a pleasure to hear from her or see that she’s enjoyed something I had to say (although, sadly, none of my books so far have been keepers for her, sigh. :smile: )

And I agree with you about the vocal minority. I just think it’s a shame that said minority seem to color so much interaction that takes place. It gets to the point where we’re all afraid to speak, and that’s sad. I know a lot of the time I stay away from discussions in which I would otherwise love to participate, simply because I don’t want to fuel a fire or be misinterpreted or anything else.

Lol on Darth Vader!

Yeah, it’s too easy to misinterpret things online. And I think there’s another part of that vocal minority that doesn’t care about the fact that the people on the other side of the screen are people too, with thoughts and feelings, and they just run roughshod over them all. That bothers me.

And yes, a writer who can’t express themselves in writing…we’re all misinterpreted sometimes. We all say things without thinking, or let our emotions color our words to the point that what comes out isn’t exactly what we mean. But we should be more careful and we should be respectful.

Thanks for the comment!

9. Jill Sorenson
    · March 6th, 2010 at 8:57 am · Link

I enjoyed both of these posts on the reader/author relationship and totally agree! I still check out books and DVDs at the library. As a kid, the used book store was my sanctuary. I would NEVER begrudge anyone for borrowing, buying used, or sharing with friends.

You know what? I don’t even care about piracy. When I see my books on those illegal sights, I just shrug and look the other way. Maybe those readers will buy someday. I might feel differently if I were a big name, or a digital-only author, but right now that’s where I’m at.

Good luck on your new series, and thanks for being an author who cares about readers. I think most of us do, but “behaving badly” always gets more attention.

9.1
      · March 6th, 2010 at 3:48 pm · Link

Thanks Jill! And no, sharing or buying used or borrowing from the library are all good things, great things; I firmly believe that for every three or four times a book is loaned, a new copy is sold to someone who wouldn’t otherwise have read or bought the book. I love that the B&N Nook has sharing capability; how cool is that?

Piracy is a bigger deal to the ebook-only authors, and I do keep that in mind, having been one. I think piracy is something the industry should be dealing with because I think it hampers the already razor-thin profit margins, and I think it hurts libraries as well. But like I said, for me the problem isn’t financial so much as it is just hurtful, and I worry about what it could mean for publishing in the future.

And yeah, I totally agree. I don’t think I’m saying anything that dozens and dozens of other writers don’t feel or agree with, but the Bad Apples really do tend to spoil the bunch, and that makes me angry and sad, you know?

And thanks! I have high hopes for it, but we’ll have to see… :)

10. Christine Merrill
    · March 6th, 2010 at 9:36 am · Link

As a writer with an MLS I am always quietly horrified when people dump libraries into the piracy conversation or say that writers must hate them for damping down sales.

And un-quietly horrified to think that it is writers saying that. It’s not ass kissing to treat both readers and other writers with the respect they deserve. It’s just basic human courtesy. I think we can give Stacia the benefit of the doubt and assume that she’s sane and civil and not harboring some deep ulterior motive by liking readers.

But I’ll break that benefit of the doubt rule and say that anti-library writers are stupid noobs, and we should ignore them because they don’t know what they are talking about.

Libraries buy a lot of books. A LOT. And when the books wear out, they buy replacements. They hand sell to readers. They go out of their way to put out of print books in the hands of people that most want them.

Since librarians are a little anal retentive, they like full sets and complete runs of series books. They don’t neglect to buy you, just because the title can’t be found in the local Walmart.

And there is usually someone on staff who knows a buttload more than the average writer on intellectual property, copyright, and how to get the most use out of materials without violating them.

That is, if there is money in the library budget. Libraries always need more money. Support your local library! Pay your taxes! Check out lots of books to increase circulation, which increases library budgets, which makes them buy more books. Take a librarian to lunch!

Maybe that last one was a bit much. But you get the idea.

10.1
      · March 6th, 2010 at 3:55 pm · Link

Muahahaha! Wait until I use my “caring about readers” facade to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! 😈

Lol, thanks, Christine. Yeah, I think those anti-library writers do tend to be very new, and very unused to/unfamiliar with how publishing actually works. And I think most of them do either learn in time or leave the business.

But yeah, I’ve never met a librarian who didn’t love books, and do what they could to help readers find books they’d like, and didn’t do what they could for writers, either. They do an extremely valuable job and it’s a shame that they’re not appreciated more, and that libraries aren’t appreciated more.

11. PD Singer
    · March 6th, 2010 at 10:41 am · Link

I adore libraries; as with so many of you, they are the only way I could sate my thirst for words. Besides – the whole county pays taxes to keep Pam in books – how cool is that? I have purchased a lot of books that I had initially checked out, because I didn’t want to give them back. Everyone wins.

If I should ever spot one of my titles on a library shelf, there will be a flaily dance right there in the stacks.

Piracy is so different – it’s a sense of entitlement. It kills me that the pirate sites come up on a Google search ahead of my publisher’s site. That lures the indifferently honest or uninformed into thinking it’s okay.

11.1
      · March 6th, 2010 at 4:00 pm · Link

Yep, PD, it always excites me when I hear my books are in a library. That’s a big deal to me, and I too have bought copies of books that I read in a library, or bought later books in a series after reading the first one in a library. It’s just a such a cool thing.

12. Chris
    · March 6th, 2010 at 10:43 am · Link

I enjoyed this and your previous, related post, Stacia – yours are some of the most eloquent words on these subjects I’ve read! And I, as a reader, appreciate that you’ve obviously taken the time to think through all of these issues and you aren’t merely reacting off-the-cuff.

12.1
      · March 6th, 2010 at 4:01 pm · Link

Thanks, Chris! Oh, lol, I think about this stuff all the time; I think about work all the time, and this is part of that, so it’s never far from my head. I think it makes me very boring to people who don’t care about books or writing or publishing or reading, but I can’t help it, sigh. :smile:

13. Zanthera
    · March 6th, 2010 at 2:11 pm · Link

Awesome words. Simple as that. Did the library thing as a kid, even hung out there all day since it was nice and quiet.

Today I buy all my titles. I feel proud I support authors for their incredible knack at piecing words together. Actually I am just totally selfish, I want more from them.

My pompously righteousness telling cheap creeps that all forms of entertainment deserve their pay as much as they do will continue.

13.1
      · March 6th, 2010 at 4:09 pm · Link

Thanks Zanthera! Oh, and of course I agree. I think if you can afford to buy, you should, and I think if you can’t afford to buy, you should go to the library. And you should be very proud, because you’re the kind of reader who keeps us in business! I also buy, and buy new, whenever possible; the only time I buy a used book is if it’s out of print or otherwise not available new.

The way I see it, buying new books whenever possible helps support literacy for those who can’t, by making sure the business keeps running and the libraries continue having new books to stock.

14. Roslyn Holcomb
    · March 6th, 2010 at 2:17 pm · Link

Forgot to say in the other thread that I came here via Mrs. Giggles. I’ve said many times before and I’ll say it again, libraries saved my life literally. My parents loved books, but we were poor, and I started reading when I was three. I probably read 5-7 books per week. My parents couldn’t have kept up with that pace even if we hadn’t been so poor. My mama worked in a restaurant next door to our library and I would go there each day to wait for her to get off work. The librarians there all loved me, and would recommend books all the time. I was a lonely, bullied child who was picked on because we were poor, but in the library I was a queen. The librarians didn’t mind that I was shy, and had trouble making eye contact. They saw my passion for books and fed it. I could not imagine ever saying anything disparaging about a library or librarians.

When my husband lost his job and we had to give up Netflix, he was astonished when I showed him that we could get DVDs at the library for free, or at nominal cost. We went on an Alfred Hitchcock glom and he’s a committed fan now. Libraries are the better part of who and what we are. The belief that no matter our income level, everyone is entitled, yes, entitled to access to books and if possible, other media.

I loathe pirates. Yes, they seriously harsh my mellow, but I would never in a million years compare them to libraries.

14.1
      · March 6th, 2010 at 4:13 pm · Link

Oh, thanks so much for that comment, Roslyn! I know just what you mean. The library was the safe place, where nobody cared that the other kids picked on you or your best friend suddenly decided she hated you and told everyone how awful you were or whatever. Everyone there always seemed happy to be there, and they were nice to you because you all shared something big: reading, and books.

And huge triple dittos on that: even poor people are entitled to access to books etc. Like I said above, I buy new whenever I possibly can, because by my supporting writers and publishers I help make it possible for them to sell books to libraries, where those who can’t afford to buy can also read.

Thanks so much for sharing that.

15. Bernita
    · March 6th, 2010 at 3:19 pm · Link

Well said, Stacia!

15.1
      · March 6th, 2010 at 4:14 pm · Link

Thanks Bernita!!

16. Jackie B Central Texas
    · March 6th, 2010 at 3:25 pm · Link

😀 Nice discussion again Stacia, I went over to comment on Bree’s “Margarita Party” and never made it to your sales, promos, pressures and lists post. However as a voracious reader since childhood myself I do not consider you, Bree or any other author to be kissing ass by being kind and seeing the viewpoint from both sides of the fence. Libraries were my haven in my school years, if I could have spent every class period in the library you would have seen the happiest student in the history of schooling!!! I grew up reading anything and everything as well and as a teen when got a paper route that is where the paycheck went, reading material…
    I am ashamed to admit have not read any of your work but know that it is out there waiting for me to dive in to your worlds. There are only so many hours in the day and right now because of book blogs, Twitter, Facebook and other places my TBR shelves are so full that I am behind by about a year so buying books has slowed down, going too the library to check books out has not happened in a good 10 years and because am a member of Paperback Swap for every book I take off my shelves 1 more replaces it!

Have a good weekend and know that there are more of us in the world of bibliophiles that are for your Point Of View than there are against it!!

jackie b central texas 😈 👿 😈 👿

16.1
      · March 6th, 2010 at 4:34 pm · Link

Thanks Jackie!

And geez, don’t feel bad for not having read my books before. You don’t have to read my books to participate here. :smile:

· March 7th, 2010 at 9:21 am · Link

I think there’s an easy compromise available here. Just like you I read almost exclusively from books obtained on a weekly basis from the library because my family couldn’t afford to feed my reading habit. I don’t believe it would be out of line to require libraries to hold off loaning books or e-books for at least a few years. To loan them sooner why not require the library to get permission from the author. Maybe this is being done already to some extent. Until I read your posts I didn’t know there was a controversy concerning the libraries, but after checking out the subject on-line I see there certainly is.

18. darchole
    · March 7th, 2010 at 3:25 pm · Link

I’d like to see some actual research done on people’s buying habits regarding books and other media. It would be nice to actually understand how libraries, second-hand bookstores (including websites) and “sharing” actually impact people’s buying habits and the author’s bottom line. You have a lot of authors who spew that all of the above are bad with nothing to back them up except maybe for the example of piracy of e-books. For my buying habits, I think that borrowing books and buying second-hand books actually increases the amount of new books I buy by finding new authors I like.
    (Sharing being something completely different than piracy, my definition of sharing is that is small and based on non-monetary reasons not ‘I wouldn’t have purchased these book anyways’ mentally. Piracy is of course easy to say it’s bad, both to the author’s and to the people who utilize pirated books and ohter media, even if they themselves don’t recognize that fact.)

19. Jackie Kessler
    · March 8th, 2010 at 8:05 am · Link

Libraries are an author’s best friend. (Along with booksellers.)

Libraries, first of all, pay for the copies of the books they have. So yay, author gets paid!

Libraries, second of all, act as the reader’s friend and let them borrow a book. So yay, new readers get to read the author’s work!

I’m all for libraries. I’m all for people loaning other people copies of books they bought. Sharing rocks.

Sharing is not the same thing as piracy. But that’s really another topic completely.

20. Saffie
    · March 9th, 2010 at 11:25 am · Link

I tend to use the library as a kind of try-before-you-buy service. I always borrow from a library to check out any book that looks/sounds up my street. If I’ve enjoyed it, I go get it for my personal bookshelf.

On a side note, I came on here to say I borrowed Personal Demons from my library after seeing the books featured on Booksmugglers. I’ve now purchased (and read – really enjoyed them!) all three Megan books in two days and have just pre-ordered Unholy Ghosts. 😉