What Stace had to say on Monday, March 29th, 2010
Pimpin’ is Easy

When you have a ho like Jaye Wells in your stable, yo.

I’ve been friends with Jaye for a while, and she is awesome. But what’s even more awesome are her books. See, last year when we were moving and all of that stuff, I really needed something to read during the journey. I grabbed a few books to take with me–can’t remember which ones–during a last-minute trip to my local Waterstone’s.

But what did I see there but Jaye’s RED-HEADED STEPCHILD. And lucky for me I did, too. Like I said, I don’t remember the names of the other books I bought to take along, but I know that after struggling to get through the first three or four chapters of each, I finally gave up and grabbed R-HS. Aaaaaaah. It was like finally getting to take a shower after four days of heavy physical work and sweat. I felt cleansed and refreshed. Yes, it’s first person and we all know that’s not my favorite thing. But, as with all the best first-person POVs, I hardly noticed. I loved the book. Good, crisp writing, likable characters who said interesting things and thought interesting things, humor in just the right places that was not over-the-top or silly (but also not mean-spirited, contrived-sounding snark). I practically cried, I was so happy to finally be reading a well-written book again.

Aaaanyway. The sequel, THE MAGE IN BLACK, comes out tomorrow, and to celebrate, I’ve invited Jaye here to do a guest blog (Ann Aguirre will be here next week, as well, so be prepared). Let’s all be nice to her, shall we? Heh.

Jaye Wells' MAGE IN BLACK

Hello, Stacia’s minions!

Do any of you watch RuPaul’s Drag Race? If you don’t, you should. Why? Well, in addition to being hilarious and catty, the show is chock full of awesome catch phrases. Two of my favorites are, “The time has come for you to lip synch … for your life” and “Don’t f**k it up.”

I mention this because suddenly my life has become a lot like an episode of the show. Instead of tucking and strutting on the main stage, I’m pimping a new book. Promoting a new release is a lot like lip synching for my life. Because after my performance is done (writing the book), my fate is decided by the judges. Reviewers and readers will either love it or hate it (if I’ve f**ked it up). Or worse, they’ll give my book the hand and ask me to sashay away.

But this leads us to my third favorite RuPaulism: “If you can’t love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love someone else?” To an author, this translates to:”If you don’t love your book, how can you expect anyone else too?”

So in that spirit, I’ve decided to share with you all the things I love about this book.

1. The part where Sabina gets into a kung fu style show down in the middle of a Kum-n-Go gas station.
2. The fact Sabina’s demon minion, Giguhl, gets involved in a demon fight club.
3. The vision quest scene involving psychotropic drug use and bizarre visions involving vampiric snakes and the ghosts of people she’s killed.
4. The part where Sabina gets shot by an unwilling blood donor.
5. Adam’s attempt to “distract” Sabina.
6. The line, “Lady, I piss insight.” Spoken by Giguhl, naturally.
7. Valva, the Vanity demon.
8. The scene with the nymph prostitutes and the blue satin demi-bra.
9. The kick ass fight between Sabina and the Alpha werewolf of New Your City.
10. The part where Sabina tosses her cookies on the feet of the ancient and venerable Hekate Council.

All that said, I’m a little biased. But the good news is you can go buy it for yourself and decide what you like (or not) about the book.

And you definitely SHOULD go buy it, just as fast as you can. Okay?

Jaye may pop in and out through the day, so ask her questions or leave her comment if you like. I know how shy most of you are but I promise she’s nice. Mostly.

Oh, also, I’ve been informed that I was nominated for an Author Blog Award. Of course I won’t win, but if you vote for me you can get entered to win some pretty cool prizes, so go and vote! The deadline is tomorrow–I guess I’m a pretty late nominee, huh? Of course I am–but there is still time, so go for it and hopefully win something.

And that’s pretty much it for the moment.

12 comments to “Pimpin’ is Easy”

1. Stephanie D.
    · March 29th, 2010 at 2:06 pm · Link

Ok Stacia you did it again, now i am interested in another author friend you suggested! Thanks! I will be reading Red Headed Step child then move on to The Mage in black right after I finish Succubus Shadows by Richelle Mead!

2. Maria Lima
    · March 29th, 2010 at 5:04 pm · Link

Jaye is totally freaking awesome, as is her writing.

Can’t WAIT to read MAGE IN BLACK!!

#6 – ROFLMAO!!

3. synde
    · March 29th, 2010 at 5:41 pm · Link

pimpin is easy when it is Jaye wells…hugs lady!

4. Moonsanity (Brenda H.)
    · March 29th, 2010 at 9:02 pm · Link

Damn, I am so broke, and now I am drooling I want this book so bad. You just had to pimp it didn’t you? πŸ˜† I just visited Jaye over at BBB. She has a vlog over there. I loved it. You should do one, so we can see you in person and hear you cuss like she does!

• Jaye Wells
      4.1
      · March 29th, 2010 at 9:13 pm · Link

Aww, Stacia. You’re the best pimp evah!

5. Mardel S
    · March 29th, 2010 at 11:05 pm · Link

Funny thing- I own Red Headed Step Child. I started to read it. I liked it. But then I received two books (The Sweet Scent of Blood and the The Cold Kiss of Death – aren’t those titles deliciously creepy?) and had to read them, as in was compelled to read them. Then I got a hold of another book I had really wanted….and kind of forgot about Red Headed Stepchild.

I don’t know why I haven’t gone back to it, because I remember enjoying what I was reading. I need to get it out of the book shelf. Maybe I can re-begin reading it this week. I have a whole week to read -except for when I get interrupted by grandchildren visits-which tend to get in the way of my reading. 😎

• Jaye Wells
      5.1
      · March 30th, 2010 at 6:30 am · Link

Mardel, you know what’s funny about your comment? Suzanne McLeod (Sweet Scent of Death and Cold Kiss of Death) is my critique partner. I don’t blame you for jumping into her books, they’re soooo good. But I hope you pick RHSC back up. Take care!

• Mardel S
        5.1.1
        · March 31st, 2010 at 1:24 am · Link

Oh, that is precious. :smile: Yep, she is a wonderful writer. I even ordered her books (I’m in the US.) from the UK so I could get them months before they were coming out here. That’s what I mean by “compelled” – an all because I happened along on her blog, saw the excerpt and read it. I’ve been hooked ever since.

That does it – since you’re partners I really have to re-read or rather, finish your first book. Then I’ll go to the store this weekend (Pay Day!) and buy Mage in Black.

New goal for this week – read Red Headed Stepchild, buy Mage in Black 😎 (good thing it’s spring break for me!)

• Mardel S
        5.1.2
        · March 31st, 2010 at 1:26 am · Link

BTW – is it weird that I mis-read Valva’s name as Vulva? I know, totally inappropriate, but I really did read it like that. I was wondering why you named her (?) that. 😳

6. Tyhitia
    · March 30th, 2010 at 9:12 pm · Link

Stacia,

I hate you. LOL. Now I’m going to have to buy the first one and this one too. You really know that I value your opinion on these matters. πŸ˜‰

Jaye, I look forward to reading both your books. πŸ˜‰

• Tyhitia
      6.1
      · March 30th, 2010 at 9:13 pm · Link

Jaye,

Oh yeah. I’ve watched RuPaul’s Drag Race. I love the Sashay Away line. LOL.

7. laughingwolf
    · April 5th, 2010 at 11:49 am · Link

well damn! too late to vote! 😳

1. Tweets that mention Pimpin’ is Easy | Stacia Kane -- Topsy.com