What Stace had to say on Thursday, April 22nd, 2010
Tidbits!

First, I found out the other day that UNHOLY GHOSTS is a Reviewer Top Pick! in the June issue of Romantic Times magazine. The review says, in part:

Fans of urban fantasy will find themselves sleep deprived after they start this new series. It’s that hard to put down. Characters with larger-than-life personalities rule against a dark and dangerous backdrop. This is an exciting world you’ll want to escape into again and again. Don’t worry, the next will be out in July!

I also have some VERY IMPORTANT NEWS. Due to some seekrit behind-the-scenes-y bookstore-and-publisher stuff, the release date for UNHOLY MAGIC, the second Downside book, has been delayed by two weeks to JULY 6TH. (Unless something changes, this means you Australia/New Zealand folks will get the book one week before the US, Canada, and the UK/Ireland. Yay you, you get to be the first ones finally, how cool!) Anyway. I apologize to everyone but about the delay but I swear it’s for a good reason and we just might have some stuff here to at least make the waiting easier. So make sure you check back!

Also, I have the listing and blurb for the Polish edition, which will be released by Amber Publishing in, you guessed it, Poland. Check this out:

UG_nieswiete-duchy_316

?wiat si? zmieni?. Zmarli powstali, by nawiedza? ?ywych. Tylko pot??ny Ko?ció? Prawdy mo?e ochroni? ludzi przed duchami…
Chess Putnam, czarownica na us?ugach Ko?cio?a, ma prawdziwy talent do odsy?ania duchów z powrotem do za?wiatów. Ale ma i k?opotliwy sekret: ogromny d?ug za narkotyki. ?eby go odpracowa?, Chess musi oczy?ci? z duchów nawiedzone lotnisko. I pakuje si? w piekielne k?opoty, przy których jej dotychczasowe problemy rozwiewaj? si? jak zjawa potraktowana ektoplazmarkerem…

Stacia Kane zadebiutowa?a jako autorka urban fantasy powie?ci? z ?owczyni? demonów Megan Chase. Ksi??ka zosta?a uznana przez ameryka?sk? sie? ksi?garsk? Barnes and Noble za jeden z najlepszych paranormalnych tytu?ów 2008. Powie?ci? Nie?wi?te duchy pisarka rozpoczyna swoj? najnowsz? seri?.

Hee!! Okay, yes, I know, it’s in Polish. Which I don’t understand either. So I ran it through one of those online translators.

Of course, online translators are notoriously, um, not very good. And this “translated” blurb is, pretty obviously I think, not a very good translation. But I think that sort of adds to its charm:

The world has changed. Deaths rose to haunt the living. Only the powerful Church of Truth may protect people from the ghosts …
Chess Putnam, a witch in the service of the Church, has a real talent for the return of the spirits back to the underworld. But it is and embarrassing secret: an enormous debt for drugs. To make up for it, Chess must clean the ghosts haunted the airport. I packed in a hellish trouble, at which the current problems shattered ektoplazmarkerem treated like a banshee …

Stacie Kane debuted as an author of urban fantasy novel of the demon hunter Megan Chase. The book was recognized by the U.S. network of bookshop Barnes and Noble as one of the best paranormal titles in 2008. Novel unholy ghost writer begins his latest series.

I really, really wish I’d thought of writing a UF heroine whose job was to clean ghosts. Imagine the fun you could have with that. Does she bathe them? Spitshine? 409 spray? Oh, I packed in a hellish trouble, my current problems shattered treated like a banshee… It’s like a kick-ass paranormal country music song written by Tonto, Tarzan, and Frankenstein’s Monster. (Actually, what it really, really reminds me of is the “Idiot Control Now” song from the Pod People episode of MST3K. Sack of monkeys in my pocket, my sister’s ready to go!)

Seriously, that is AWESOME. I wish I could see a real translation, because I am absolutely 100% certain that the blurb makes perfect sense to someone who actually understands Polish, and is wonderfully evocative and concise in that language. But the “TranStar” translation–which is the one I used–makes me giggle, anyway. There is just no substitute for a real live human translator. But I love the Polish title, and I think Polish is a cool language, and I’m just totally excited that the book will be translated into it.

Anyway. I am heading off for RT tomorrow–I’m spending a few days palling around first, which is why I’m leaving so early–so my online time will be curtailed. I’ll try to blog from the show if I can but I’m not counting on getting the chance, especially if this con hotel is anything like last year’s, where we never could get the internet to work in our room.

But! When I return we’ll have all kinds of good stuff to discuss, including blurbs and how they happen, and excerpts, and release dates, and the announcement of giveaways, and the beginning of our UG release day countdown!

11 comments to “Tidbits!”

1. Michele Lee
    · April 22nd, 2010 at 8:27 pm · Link

YAY!! I am so excited! Is this the first time your work has been translated?

1.1
      · April 22nd, 2010 at 10:09 pm · Link

Yep! It’s the second translation deal, I believe, since I also have a German deal, but I don’t have a cover or blurb for that one yet. And yeah, it’s *really* exciting. Thanks!

2. Josin
    · April 22nd, 2010 at 9:29 pm · Link

That’s so cool!

Am I the only one who thinks (not being able to read it, of course) that the translated title and the look of the cover model have a vaguely elfish or dark fae look to them?

And as far as I’m concerned, you rock just for getting a cover blurb from Charlaine Harris!

2.1
      · April 22nd, 2010 at 10:11 pm · Link

I think the title sounds really cool, yeah. 😀 As for the cover model, I dunno, does she? I know she doesn’t really look like my character, lol, but yeah, I guess I can kind of see that.

And thanks! I plan to talk about that, actually, in my post on it. Charlaine is a really cool lady, and I was lucky & proud to have met her and that she liked the book!

3. Bernita
    · April 26th, 2010 at 7:15 am · Link

Ha! Seems to me I told you once long ago to keep the faith.
    This is gorgeous(but not unexpected news) about…well…everything!

3.1
      · May 3rd, 2010 at 12:21 pm · Link

Oh, Bernita, I just adore you.

4. Ola (Alexandra)
    · May 1st, 2010 at 12:27 pm · Link

Hi. I am from Poland and I think that Amber Publishing adverted your book very well :-))) I am going to buy “Nie?wi?te grzechy”. “I pakuje si? w piekielne k?opoty, przy których jej dotychczasowe problemy rozwiewaj? si? jak zjawa potraktowana ektoplazmarkerem…”That means “And she is in a real trouble at which the current problems disappeard like a bunshee killed by ektoplazmarker. Sorry for mistakes by i still learning English :)

4.1
      · May 3rd, 2010 at 12:25 pm · Link

Hi Ola! Thank you so much for stopping by and for the translation! Online translators are just not very good. :) Sorry it took me so long to reply, I’ve been out of town.

I’m so excited to be published in Poland, and I really, really hope you enjoy “Nieswiete Duchy!” (I don’t have the ability to do the accents over the letters, sadly.)

And your English is way better than my (nonexistent) Polish!

5. Ola (Alexandra)
    · May 1st, 2010 at 12:29 pm · Link

*but i’m still learning English. 😳

6. Ro
    · May 3rd, 2010 at 3:11 pm · Link

Hi, as I am both a native Polish speaker and a loyal blog follower… 😮 I’m quite impressed – your translation’s almost 100% correct! 😛 Ola’s right though: “And she gets herself in hellish trouble, compared to which her current problems vanish into thin air just like an apparition treated with an ectoplazmarker.” (I assume you did invent an “ectoplazmarker”? or at least sth similar? sounds quite interesting :twisted:) Polish translators sometimes get a little…well, crazy 😛 It’s impossible NOT to cry with laughter at times, when I see a Polish blurb for a book I already read in English and I do KNOW what it is about, and more often than not it has little to do with the blurb…and I really doubt I’m the only one…. 😈 And about washing up the ghosts…. 😯 Well, I suppose you already know it’s “Chess has to get rid of the ghosts who haunt the airport.” (or: “clean out the haunted airport of ghosts”)

And though I prefer reading in English – come things just aren’t meant to be translated and/or lose a lot of their “charm” and/or sense when doing so – it’s great to see more and more great Urban Fantasy titles translated into your mother tongue, well MY mother tongue. (I guess it might be the one thing Polish UF readers owe to the whole Twilight/True Blood phenomenon, cause it certainly didn’t seem to be possible until about a year ago) 😀

Wishing All The Best with “Nie?wi?te duchy” (wow! it really DOES mean Unholy Ghosts!) and the Polish Readers,

Ro (who’s going to buy it in English though :smile: )

6.1
      · May 4th, 2010 at 1:49 pm · Link

Thank you, Ro! Glad the translation wasn’t too far off (and yes, there is an Ectoplasmarker in the books! The magic system is based in part on Traditional British Witchcraft and partly on psychopomp myths; the psychopomp is the animal that carries the soul into the next world. Some cultures believed that the psychopomp would recognize the soul by the “passport” marked on it, and in this world when a soul doesn’t have one, the Ectoplasmarker is used to inscribe one on the ghost so the psychopomp knows to take it. It’s explained much better in the books, lol).

Actually, it could be argued that Polish is my mother tongue as well, at least in part, since my grandparents on my mother’s side were Polish. :)

And I agree, it’s awesome to see so many more genre books being translated into other languages! It’s really, really exciting for me. The book’s getting a German translation as well, but they’re changing the title there, to GEISTERFLUT, which means “Ghost Flood.” Which makes me giggle in an excited way.

Anyway, I’ll stop babbling now. Thanks again, I hope you love the book!