What Stace had to say on Friday, June 18th, 2010
Oh, what a morning

It’s 1:50 pm (yes, I know that isn’t morning. So what?). I’ve been ready to go back to bed since ten.

Lousy sleep–it’s too damn hot to sleep–and lousy dreams. Then, as I’m wandering the internet this morning I find an article about the upcoming Toy Story 3 movie, which reminded me of Toy Story 2, which I hate and can’t watch.

“But, Stace,” you say, “how can you possibly hate such a sweet little kid’s movie?”

I’ll tell you why. Because it’s awful and sad and tragic. Sure, it’s fun for the first hour or so. Look at the toys, aren’t they funny, Barbie is an idiot slut, la la la. Then we meet Joan Cusack’s character, and then we hear her tale, and they sing that song about how life was beautiful when that fickle girl loved her, and we see that fickle girl abandon her by the side of the road and go off with some boy, because all women will eventually abandon everything for a man, and by that time I’m sobbing and on the beginning of a depressive shame spiral that will only end in a lot of vodka.

I can’t possibly be the only one who feels like this, can I? Who sees that and starts remembering all of my toys, the stuffed animals and horse statues and Weeble-Wobbles and stuff, now lying broken and abandoned in a ditch somewhere, alone and scared, at the mercy of the elements, sobbing and spending their entire eternal toy lives wondering what they did that was so wrong, and why I forsook them so coldly? And wishing desperately I would just appear and hold them one more time?

Seriously. I have enough shit on my conscience. I don’t need that, too.

After reading that article I literally cried for ten minutes. Why don’t you just play a recording of Helen Reddy’s “Candle on the Water,” to complete the childhood misery deluge? (See, I have this theory about “Candle on the Water.” I believe that while we as children thought it was a sweet song, and maybe kids today still do, you cannot play that song to any adult over the age of, oh, thirty, and expect them not to dissolve into tears. Seriously. We should look into this as a weapon. Whoever owns the Helen Reddy records owns the world.)

Did I mention the hideous, oppressive heat, and how it makes me half-convinced that the earth is just about to burst into flames? And saps every bit of energy out of me, and makes me slow-witted and sad? I hate the damn sun. I hate the damn heat. It makes me ill (literally; I’ve always been really sensitive to heat).

And then, something was crawling–well, I say crawling, but what it was in fact doing was racing–up my arm, and across my lapdesk. I–acting purely on my killer animal instincts–killed the thing with a spiral notebook. And guess what? It was a spider. It’s bad luck to kill a spider. Like I need more of that these days, right?

Sigh. So this day is not shaping up to be a great day, but let’s hope it improves. And it actually has a bit, because I popped over to Twitter to drown my sorrows and found a new review of UNHOLY GHOSTS, which, coupled with the one I got in my email this morning, makes me feel much cheerier.

From All Things Urban Fantasy, 4 out of 5 bats:

Any series that is described as “a cross between Ghostbusters and Escape From New York” is going to get my attention, big time. Of course that also means said series is going to have a lot to live up to. And in one of the wonderfully rare cases, UNHOLY GHOSTS does exactly that. It’s cool and twisted, just the way I like my urban fantasy.

From Book Chick City:

I’m so excited about this book – I LOVED it! I haven’t read an Urban Fantasy this good in quite a while…The writing is perfectly paced, I didn’t get bored once and everything slots together at the right time. The plot is just brilliant and had me engrossed until the very last page – I didn’t want to put this book down!

So let’s hope my slightly cheerier feeling lasts.

How about you? Looking forward to a good weekend, or a dull one? Does the heat make you feel oppressed and trapped beneath the weight of all the world’s misery too? Do you like Toy Story 2, and does “Candle on the Water” make you cry?

9 comments to “Oh, what a morning”

1. synde
    · June 18th, 2010 at 12:33 pm · Link

don’t know Candle on the Water..will have to look it up..Haven’t seen a toy story since the first one and don’t plan to see 3.. I work all weekend so woo hoo.. but yeah it’s not too bad here..

2. jjdebenedictis
    · June 18th, 2010 at 1:36 pm · Link

I’m slightly jealous of your oppressive heat. Our whole summer has been chilly and damp so far. Can we mix our weathers together in a churn and then share the resulting pleasantness?

2.1
      · June 18th, 2010 at 2:22 pm · Link

I would totally be up for that. Or better yet, can I just come stay at your house? Because I really miss chilly and damp.

3. Michele Lee
    · June 18th, 2010 at 4:32 pm · Link

It’s been oppressively hot here too, and my kids both have issues with the heat. I deal with it by gardening. See, my garden LOVES the oppressive heat, by the time it’s gotten oppressive all I have to do is water, pick and occasionally pull a weed, and I LOVE fresh veggies. So that helps me deal with the heat.

I felt the same way with Toy Story. I gave personalities to all my toys (and I still do). I wasn’t hard on toys, and a lot were lost in moves or such, no fault of my own. But yeah, Toy Story 2 makes me feel like shit. I hate that feeling, but am glad I’m not alone in that.

4. Tyhitia
    · June 18th, 2010 at 7:32 pm · Link

It has already hit over 100 here. 😯 The rain does little to stifle it.

As far as toys, you got me thinking about my old Barbies and lots of other toys. Wow. I never watched Toy Story, but I think I will now. LOL. I must be a masochist. πŸ˜†

5. kirsten saell
    · June 20th, 2010 at 9:13 am · Link

I loved both Toy Story movies, but at the same time I agree with you. I don’t tend to watch TS2 very much because it’s just so emotionally exhausting when Jessie’s backstory is revealed.

If the kids want to see it, I either make them watch it in their room or get up and do some laundry during that song, because I can’t even hear it without bursting into tears.

I have the same reaction during the episode of Futurama with Fry’s dog from the 20th century–the closing scene where “I Will Wait For You” plays makes me bawl like an infant.

6. writtenwyrdd
    · June 20th, 2010 at 11:58 am · Link

I’m enjoying our oppressive heat, but I need a couple of days to get used to it.

I don’t suffer toy guilt, but I dont’ like the Toy Story 2 movie, either.

7. Marie
    · June 24th, 2010 at 4:05 pm · Link

I haven’t watched Toy Story 2, so I don’t have anything to say about it, though it sounds emotionally exhausting. :-)

It’s not often nowadays that I think about my toys. (Actually, my oldest teddy bear is still in my bedroom, so I guess I don’t have to feel too bad about him having a bad life anyway.) But I still have that feeling in the back of my mind that the toys aren’t just inanimate objects. There was an old fairytale I used to listen to when I was little, that was about a poor dreidl (or something) that was left abandoned in the gutter, and it made me feel horrible.

However, your post reminded me of something I heard on the radio a few years ago. In Sweden we have a tradition each summer on public radio. Every day, all summer, one person gets to talk about whatever they want, and play whatever music they want, for an hour and a half. Mostly it’s celebrities, and often we get to hear some amusing anecdotes or perhaps learn more about them personally.
    One year I listened to a Swedish Major in the army, who’d worked a lot for the UN. I guess from the outside he would have been seen as a typically masculine male, or something (not that I really like those distinctions, but you do make them before you get to know a person). He told a story about how he and his wife from time to time would lie in bed and listen to a particularly wonderful audio book of Winnie the Pooh (I think it was read by Bernard Cribbins). And the UN Major said that every time they listened to the part where Christopher Robin says goodbye to Pooh, he had to turn away so that his wife wouldn’t see he was crying.

For some reason I think a lot of us have these feelings that our toys have life. You could get philosophical about it, and say that it has to do with the fact that we associate the toys with our childhood, certain things that happened, or how we felt at the time, a time when those toys were maybe some of our best friends. The whole world seemed more magical back then, in some ways.

8. Paul T Horgan
    · October 29th, 2010 at 12:59 pm · Link

The point when Christopher Robin says goodbye to Pooh is one of the most emotional pieces of English Literature. Anyone who does not cry at that does not have a true soul.