What Stace had to say on Thursday, August 5th, 2010
What do you think?

I’ve had quite a few readers ask me about t-shirts, or Downside Army bumper stickers, or various items like those. So I’m considering doing it–I’d quite like to, actually, it’s something I’ve had in mind for some time.

But of course, what exactly to put on them? A DA sticker or keyring or something isn’t hard, but a t-shirt? I want something people would actually wear, you know–there’s no point otherwise–so a sort of generic book cover shirt is out. Obviously I’m not going to get something with my name emblazoned all over it in big letters or anything.

These were my thoughts:

1. Plain t-shirts or v-necks, with a quote from the Book of Truth across the front or back. And on whichever side isn’t printed, maybe my site logo or web address or something, just small but there. I do like this idea–something people wouldn’t know unless they knew–and it would be the simplest and least expensive way to go, I think.

2. Plain t-shirts or v-necks, with a logo or whatever for one of the bars in Downside on the front or back. Several people seem to particularly like the idea of it being Chuck’s, which is the bar Chess spends some time in in CITY OF GHOSTS (no spoilers). I quite like this idea, but it does mean a logo or whatever has to be designed which would raise the overall costs.

3. Chelsea from Vampire Book Club, a really cool review site, designed this awesome logo (which funnily enough touches on something I plan to put in Book 5, so it’s extra cool for me). Actually, Chelsea designed these awesome logos:

Both of which I think are just, well, totally cool. And because Chelsea is so generous and such a good person, she’s perfectly happy to let other Downside fans use the logos as they see fit; I’ll be adding them to the Fun Stuff page for downloading soon. (Or rather, I’ll be giving them to my webguru to do that, along with the deleted scenes from CITY OF GHOSTS.) Until then you should be able to save those images anyway as full size.

So those are the options I came up with, basically. Do you guys have any others? Which do you like best? Like I said, I want to do something that people will actually be able to wear and not feel silly or like they’ve been turned into a big advertisement. Something a bit more subtle and interesting and fun. So please, any thoughts you may have, throw them out here!

Aaaand, one other thing. I shared a release day on Tuesday with Christopher Golden, who is seriously one of the nicest, coolest men I’ve ever met (we met at Dragon*Con last year, and we’ll both be there again this year, so I’m quite excited about that!). His release was a reissue of the first book in his really cool Peter Octavian series. The book is called OF SAINTS AND SHADOWS, and seriously, Christopher is a really, really good writer.

And, he said this about UNHOLY GHOSTS: “Stacia Kane’s UNHOLY GHOSTS blends horror, fantasy, and dystopian future noir with thrilling, twisted results,” so you know he has good taste in books, right(hee)? But no, seriously, he likes the books, and you guys like the books (I presume, since you’re here, unless you’re here to send hate messages or leave comments telling me how much my books suck), so there’s a common perspective there, a common opinion of what is and is not cool/fun/interesting/scary/etc. So I really do recommend you take a look at OF SAINTS AND SHADOWS. This reissue is the first of four, which will culminate in an all-new fifth book, and they’re all being released on pretty much an every-other-month schedule.

And I guess that’s it for the moment. I won’t be around much next week but I will try to check in; I’ll see if I can get some pictures I’m happy with when we all go to the Mai-Kai for dinner (it’s this enormous, totally cool Polynesian restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale, where they have a floor show–which we usually skip–and an enormous menu of tiki drinks and a big tiki garden and all kinds of stuff. It just kicks ass, and we’re going to go at least once, because that’s what we do).

But do let me know your thoughts on t-shirts etc., and if you have any other ideas do speak up! You can always email me if you’re not comfortable giving them publicly, or comment anonymously if such things make you nervous or whatever, too.

16 comments to “What do you think?”

1. Laura B. (LBomb)
    · August 5th, 2010 at 3:24 am · Link

The idea of a shirt is kickass, for real- Here is my .02…

The bar idea is really cool- but most ppl would just think it was a “real” watering hole from your hometown, where you went to school- It would be cool for US (meaning the DA) but not conversation provoking.
    HowEva- If there was a shirt that said something specific about the Downside Army (and you’ll have to give me a few, ill come up with some more, i’m sure) ppl will say…”what the hell is the Downside Army?” and then we can go the eff off about the books, and Stacia and spread the good word around a little- just like butter- y’know?

OR ( I told ya I’d think of somethin’ else) come up with a one-liner, book quote or not, from Terrible (SWOON!) or even Lex in their particular dialect and AGAIN provoke conversation that will start with, “what the fuck does your shirt say?”
    I know, I know…I’m weird and longwinded- But decent mindworking I think?

Keep it heavy-
    LBomb

2. srbastian
    · August 5th, 2010 at 6:48 am · Link

I like the idea of a quote, whether it was from the Book of Truth or from Terrible, also like whoever said on twitter that maybe you could use the Downside army logo small somewhere.

3. synde
    · August 5th, 2010 at 10:31 am · Link

would love to see a Chucks bar shirt. Or a book of truth quote!
    Something that looks like real life but not obviously a “fan” shirt..
    Would love to rock the downside.

4. Spaz P
    · August 5th, 2010 at 10:37 am · Link

I would love the first idea! V-neck with a quote from the Book of Truth across the front or back, and maybe the Downside Army logo or whatever! I would SO buy any shirt you design for this series.

5. KL Grady
    · August 5th, 2010 at 10:55 am · Link

I think the Book of Truth quote sounds fabulous. And of course anything that involves me looking at my boobs and seeing a reference to Terrible? WIN.

I’m a huge fan of stickers. It’s completely dorky, but since I haven’t found a netbook skin I like, I’ve been looking for stickers that don’t suck. I’d be a walking advertisement, sitting in the coffee shop with my computer, and someone asking why my sticker says “Got Terrible?” And of course anything that involves me looking at my hot little netbook and seeing a reference to Terrible? WIN.

6. midnightblooms
    · August 5th, 2010 at 11:09 am · Link

Those Terrible logos are great.

I love the idea of a Terrible quote on a t-shirt. The Downside dialect is so distinctive that any Downsider would recognize it immediately, and it could prompt questions from those not familiar with the books.

Perhaps combine the logos with a quote.

• BernardL
      6.1
      · August 5th, 2010 at 1:43 pm · Link

I’d wear a black t-shirt with the Downside Army Chevron. Aye! :)

7. Amanda
    · August 5th, 2010 at 2:51 pm · Link

V-necks, definiately, with the Chuck’s logo or quotes. It would be cool to have a Downside Army shirt too…or a Downside hoodie…for those of us who live in cooler climates :)

I’d buy any shirt either way though :)

8. Diana
    · August 5th, 2010 at 5:01 pm · Link

anything with Terrible sounds good to me!

9. Marie
    · August 5th, 2010 at 6:16 pm · Link

I think the idea of making a shirt is great! I wear shirts, showing off the things I love, all the time. 😀 Which I guess means that I am a little bit different from most here in that I don’t mind if the design isn’t incredibly stealthy, but I still love the idea that you won’t know what the shirt means, unless you’re a fan or if you ask me what it means.

I would love the Downside Army logo! First, it’s really cool looking, and second, like Laura B said, there isn’t really a risk of misinterpreting it, but it can be a great conversation starter.

It doesn’t have to be something that people get at once, but it should be something that people get is cool, and that makes them curious to read the books.

And I think it could be a good idea to maybe have, like someone mentioned (@Zombie_Joe I think), your website address printed somewhere, like on a sleeve. But that depends on whether it’s too un-stealthy. :-)

A Book of Truth quote seems great, but I guess it depends on what it is, because just like there’s a risk of people thinking that the bar name is just a bar name, the wrong quote can make it seem as if I’m in a strange cult, which in a way I am, but I want the shirt to show that I worship Chess and Terrible, not the Church of Truth. 😉

And of course I too think you have to make a Terrible shirt. It seems as if some people don’t like the Team Terrible version, but then you have the amazing Terrible Fever logo!!! I think that one’s just awesome. It’s a saying that fans invented and it’s just quirky enough to make people ask about the meaning.

I would looove to have a Downside speak quote. I just love reading those parts of the book, every time. English is not my first language, but I love English because it’s such a rich language, and this particular slang that you’ve created is just delicious!

Keyrings are also a wonderful idea, in my opinion. I’m one of those people who loves keyrings, but I don’t have anywhere near enough keys to put in all my keyrings, so I put as many as I can on my bags and purses and jingle and jangle my way down the street. :-)

Also, I was just planning on buying some jewelry from Psynde’s shop ( http://www.etsy.com/shop/psynde ), specifically, or mostly, from Vampire Academy, and with all this talk about Downside shirts it occurred to me how cool it would be with Downside jewelry! It feels like there are so many possibilites, given that you’ve created such a vivid world and such tangible characters.

10. Deb
    · August 5th, 2010 at 6:33 pm · Link

as you know, anything with Terrible is perfect by me 😛 I love the logos above and some other Downside addicts and I were saying how much we want a Team Terrible shirt. I would also love whatever his shirt is to have “true thing, aye” on it somewhere.
    Downside Army is great, your web addy needs to be on there ! and as long as you make black and size very friggin’ huge I will be buying 😉

Keyrings, bookmarks, jewellery – I think you will be surprised how many of us would go nuts for these things. ❗

11. Shiloh Walker
    · August 5th, 2010 at 8:13 pm · Link

I still want a bar shirt. Or a Team Terrible shirt. And when people ask, it just gives me more of a reason to …ah… talk about books. *G* Not that I need one.

you could always… and SHOULD, I think, include your website somewhere on it so the curious could check out what the fuss is about.

12. Marcia
    · August 5th, 2010 at 11:02 pm · Link

😉 I love the simple, but elegant words with the chess piece for your t-shirt design! Clever and cool.

13. krupke
    · August 6th, 2010 at 1:24 pm · Link

Hmmmm…..”Terrible Fever”. Sounds a bit scary. 😕

I like the idea of a tote or coffee mug or bowling shirt that says something like “Downside Army” or “Terrible’s Chessiebomb” or “Lex’s Tulip”, or even a nice illustration of a psychopomp.

14. Colette @ A Buckeye Girl Reads
    · August 7th, 2010 at 10:44 am · Link

I love the idea of a long sleeved t shirt with terrible fever or something terrible related on it! I also think a coffee cup or mouse pad with downside army would be great.

15. spinfrog
    · August 9th, 2010 at 8:22 am · Link

T-shirts are a great idea! Especially if they are “girlfit” and not baggy and long. Quotes from Book of Truth will make the wearer appear to belong to a weird religious cult, which is no t a plus imo. Quotes from the characters would be cool, also: name of the latest book in a cool font, small on the front, large in the back, maybe made to look lije a band/concert tshirt? :)

1. Tweets that mention What do you think? | Stacia Kane -- Topsy.com