What Stace had to say on Thursday, October 21st, 2010
Bloggity blog blog

I had a really good blog topic. I was thinking about it last night and how I should totally talk about it because it was such a good idea. It was a writing-related topic, too.

And of course for some stupid reason I didn’t write it down, which is odd because I’ve started keeping a pen and notebook next to the bed. Um, so I can write stuff down, which makes sense, doesn’t it? Yes, it does. Too bad I didn’t think of it earlier, and so lost that Great Idea I had a few weeks ago. Luckily, I’ve had another, and Downside 4 is still chugging along. Of course, I still think it absolutely sucks, too.

Even worse is when you do have the pen and paper, and you make notes, and then you can’t remember what the hell they pertain to. A few weeks ago I woke up and found “shivers” written there. “Shivers?” What is that supposed to be? I mean, yes, I know what shivers are. I know people, even characters in books, shiver sometimes. But why would I write it down? Why would I write just that down?

At least, unless I was deliberately trying to fuck with myself. I can just see me, thinking as I scribbled in the dark, “Ha ha ha, this will fix her!” It’s definitely the sort of thing I do, because of that whole self-destructive thing.

But here’s something I do know what it means: Twitter. I was kind of surprised the other day to realize that some people consider Twitter to be the equivalent of a blog, and that Tweeting something is equivalent somehow to blogging about it or whatever.

To me Twitter is way less important, and way more casual. If you tweet something, it’s gone in a minute or so, you know? It gets shifted down to the bottom of the screen and then lost. And who really takes the time, when they log on every day, to go scrolling back through old tweets to see what they missed? Not me.

So to me, talking about something on Twitter is almost like not talking about it at all. I mean, clearly it’s talking about it, but you know what I mean. The only people who see it are generally the people who follow me and happen to be online at that particular moment.

Of course, it does make it difficult in terms of getting messages across, because people stumble into conversations and ask about them and you end up discussing something more than you intended, yes. But the point is, Twitter is ephemeral. If I put something on my blog, it’s there. It’s right at the top, and displayed right in the middle of my homepage, for a couple of days. Then it’s just one post down, so it’s on the “blog” page for a few weeks in total. And it’s still there; it’s tagged, it’s findable, and it’s reasonable that people would hunt around in the archives. They do, quite often. But I think people rarely scroll back on someone’s Twitter feed.

What do you guys think? Is Twitter less “official” or whatever than a blog?

Last, a quick note about the Downside Market. It will be back up, don’t worry, and hopefully very soon. It’ll be a little different, but with more options. So thanks to all of you who’ve asked, and just give me a little bit more time and I’ll tell you everything, okay? But I do believe Southern Promo has been shipping items, so please do let me know when yours arrive! I’m thinking of maybe doing a little contest at some point, like take a picture of yourself in your shirt and one will be picked at random. Something like that.

So there you go. I’m still hard at work on Downside 4 (and still closing in on a title; what sucks is that the original title of UNHOLY MAGIC, which was DOWNSIDE GHOSTS, which of course ended up being used as the series title, would be perfect for this book. But I can’t use it. Sucky sucky sucky).

Oh! And one more thing. Tomorrow I’ll be blogging about apocalypse at Pens Fatales. Since I already sort of blew my wad, as it were, with that little short about the start of Haunted Week a couple of weeks ago, I thought I might do a page about it from the Book of Truth or something. Thoughts? Interesting? Not? Let me know!

6 comments to “Bloggity blog blog”

1. Spaz P
    · October 21st, 2010 at 2:10 pm · Link

I just got an email this morning that my Downside Army shirt shipped! I am so excited! I look forward to seeing what changes and additions will be made to the store/merchandise in the future 😀

2. Cher
    · October 21st, 2010 at 2:27 pm · Link

Hi. I’ve only been twitter for five or six months so I’m still watching how people use it. I think the way people handle it depends on the way they’re using it. For many it’s simply a social media – go figure, since that’s what it’s supposed to be! haha But then there’s the group who use it for advertising their wares or services. There’s also a variety of writer uses from what I can see and that, depends on where you’re at as far as being published, known, Indie, or learning the ropes.

I actually find twitter a little crazy making because there’s a load of information and I get over saturated. I like twitter for meeting other writers and learning from them – whether they’re pro or just starting out. That’s probably because I love all aspects of writing so it’s all interesting to me.

With the Indies, it’s a way of establishing a platform and marketing. I get it and am studying this since I don’t know whether I want to do that or go the traditional route. I wish established writers, like yourself, would talk more about THAT…how to’s in the getting published game and what they think of going Indie, traditional or some other way. And yes, I wish they’d talk about this on twitter, with links to their blogs where they can go into the subject more deeply.

So for me twitter is a learning place and a hanging out space – love reading the established writers just shooting the shit which makes them less ‘Holy’ and more approachable. But when it gets down to the bare facts? If I’m hanging on twitter I’m NOT writing, which isn’t getting me anywhere.

What are your feelings about all that?

3. midnightblooms
    · October 21st, 2010 at 2:58 pm · Link

I would disagree that Twitter isn’t as permanent because everything online is permanent, but it is more fleeting in the collective conscience.

A blog post indicates thought and considered opinion (for the most part) whereas Twitter is an ongoing cocktail party conversation.

(I borrowed the cocktail party comment from someone, but I can’t remember who. Sorry, Person-I-Paraphrased, but your description of Twitter was bang on target!)

4. Gwen
    · October 21st, 2010 at 3:30 pm · Link

My order from the Downside Market was sent today as well. I find Twitter to be absolute chaos.Maybe it’s because I don’t text but I find it really hard to follow what’s going on but it does seem more casual than a blog. Oh and Stacia I’m sure Downside 4 is amazing your just to close to see it right now!

5. Karen
    · October 21st, 2010 at 7:41 pm · Link

My order shipped today, too! :)

I have to say, when I first saw twitter, I thought it was awesome…then, after a while, it was okay but I didn’t rush to check it…now? Well, I almost never check it & when I do I get annoyed because I’ll read something & then drive myself nuts trying to go back to figure out what the post is related to.

6. Stephanie Draven
    · October 21st, 2010 at 7:54 pm · Link

I dunno. Franzenfeud started on twitter, and of course, if that isn’t the most important literary discussion of the decade, what is? 😛

1. Tweets that mention Bloggity blog blog | Stacia Kane -- Topsy.com