What Stace had to say on Tuesday, October 26th, 2010
Deep Thoughts

Ha! Fooled you! I never think deep thoughts!

No, of course I do. And this one is, well, deep-ish. But it really surprised me, so here we go.

Friday night, as I mentioned, I went to talk to a book group in the area. And it was a blast; I really had a good time, everyone was nice, most of them knew & liked my work (there were a couple of teens there for school extra credit, which I wouldn’t have expected them to read my books), they asked great questions, and I admit, heh, I gave them a few extra bits of information about a few things.

Anyway, it was awesome. And at some point I got asked the inevitable did-you-always-want-to-be-a-writer question. To which my answer is always yes, and a little bit about some of the other things I wanted to do (race-car driver, actress, professional killer, that sort of thing; y’know, typical stuff), and then about how I was a stay-home mom when I finally decided to give the writing thing a try, and how much I really enjoyed being a stay-home mom. Which I did.

(Digression: I’ve never understood people who think it would be “boring” to not have a paying job outside the home. Um, really? No, of course it wasn’t. See, funnily enough, I’m actually capable of entertaining myself; I don’t need constant stimuli to keep me happy like a baby under a mobile.)

Anyway. They asked if I’d always told myself stories, which I didn’t quite get at first, until they elaborated a bit. Like in bed at night before I fell asleep, did I used to tell myself stories.

Well…doesn’t everyone?

Of course I did. I did it every night. I still do. I plan the next day’s writing, or scenes for later pop into my head, or plot issues work themselves out, or whatever. And if I’m not working I’m thinking of new stories and ideas, looking for one that really grabs me. I even remember some of the stories I told myself when I was a kid (they usually involved me being rescued by my current crush on a horse. Hey, I was eight when I came up with that one, give me a break). When my girls go to bed, and Faerie insists she’s not tired and starts pouting because it will take so long for her to fall asleep (ha, it’s usually more like ten minutes, tops), I’ve always told her to lay there and think up a story to tell herself. Because, well, that’s what people do, right?

So that’s my question. Did you, do you, do that, and tell yourself stories before you go to sleep? Or is that unusual?

Having some fun with Downside 4. I thought I had a title for it–I really loved it–but the PTB want something “more,” maybe a bit sexier and more exciting, so it’s back to the drawing board for me, sigh. This is where I start throwing my hands up in the air and saying things like, “Why don’t I just call it THERE’S FUCKING IN THIS BOOK? Is that sexy enough?”

(Note I don’t blame the PTB for this at all; I’m just being funny here. But it is a bit…sigh.)

(Also, now I want to write a book with that title. Maybe it would go with the ridiculously anachronistic historical romance I’ve always thought it would be a hoot to write, the one where characters wish cars had been invented already so they didn’t have to walk, and Regency rakes say things like, “You’re bringing me down!” Well, it’s funny to me. I’ve had to fight the constant urge to put stuff like that in the few historicals I’ve written.)

Also, last night the hubs and I went to see the theater re-release of BACK TO THE FUTURE. Awesome. It’s funny, I’ve seen the movie dozens of times since I first saw it in the theater, but I don’t remember it being that much fun, you know? You forget a lot of the little things. And it helped that the audience with us was amazing. We seriously wanted to hug them all when the movie was done; they were all into it, they were all as excited as we were, they laughed and cheered and clapped at all the right moments and they kept their mouths firmly shut the rest of the time, which as I’m sure you know, is pretty rare these days). So, AMC North Point audience, thank you!

That’s it for today. But I really am curious about the bedtime story thing; do you or not? And do you write (I know a few of you do)?

21 comments to “Deep Thoughts”

1. LilyofDarkness
    · October 26th, 2010 at 2:36 pm · Link

Yes I tell myself stories all the time, and I tell my kids the same thing too when they are trying to not go to bed.

I think the title for book four should be “There is Fucking in this Book” – sounds like a damn good plan to me.

2. Leah
    · October 26th, 2010 at 2:40 pm · Link

Yeah, I tell myself stories. It’s always been one of my favorite past times, next to reading. I don’t write, nor do I know if I have the patience to put my ideas and stories onto paper. But the stories I come up for in my imagination are pretty kick ass. At least to me.

3. midnightblooms
    · October 26th, 2010 at 2:48 pm · Link

I would so read a book titled THERE IS FUCKING IN THIS BOOK be it Downside 4, an anachronistic Regency (great idea, BTW), or whatever. (Of course, I sort of expect there to be sex in Downside 4. If not . . . man, that’s just cruel after everything.) (Also, I will buy Downside 4 even if it’s titled Downside 4 because I must know what happens next!)

As for making up stories before bed, oh yeah, I do that all the time. Actually I make up stories everywhere–as I’m walking to the car (I park a mile away from my office), as I’m walking to lunch, as I’m driving (especially if I’m alone in the car), in the shower, as I’m cooking . . . yeah, you get the idea. The ideas that keep coming back are the ones that I write down.

(I thought this comment needed one more parenthetical statement so here it is.) ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

4. Tez Miller
    · October 26th, 2010 at 3:54 pm · Link

Yep, I do. Well, not write, but the thinking of story stuff until I fall asleep. I used to have bad sleep-onset insomnia (was on Stillnox for a few months), and over time I’ve realised that my own creations make me fall asleep the easiest. You know, as opposed to thinking of real-life stuff, which just worries me.

5. Rachel
    · October 26th, 2010 at 4:07 pm · Link

Absolutely. I had one long high-fantasy story going for years and years. Every night I’d get a little further in the story before I fell asleep. For years I tried to write it.

Then, about 10 years ago I realized I was way too old to be writing it, and that was why it didn’t work. (The story started about 30 years ago.) Let it go. It made good bedtime fodder for my kids when they were little.

And jeez. I don’t even write high fantasy. What was I thinking?

6. Tami
    · October 26th, 2010 at 4:25 pm · Link

Yes, I’m a writer, and I always tell myself stories. Before bedtime is a usual time but I also tell myself stories when I have long car rides, when I’m waiting in line for something, or when I’m doing repetitive exercise (jogging on a treadmill is GREAT for this because you don’t have to watch where you’re going. Heh. Stupid curbs.)

The first story I remember telling myself was to comfort my fear of the dark. I remember being a kid, terrified, when I imagined a tall man wearing a peppermint-striped suit and carrying a peppermint cane taking my hand and walking me through a cloud. Periodically, monsters and scary things would swipe through the cloud and try to get me, and he’d clonk them on the nose or the head or the hand with his cane.

My favorite books and stories still play a heavy role – those books whose characters and worlds LIVE and BREATHE for me … I spend a lot of time writing “mental fanfiction” for those, as well. =]

7. Michele Lee
    · October 26th, 2010 at 6:01 pm · Link

Yup, I do the story thing. And Jason and I were just talking earlier about one of the advantages to being a writer is if you have a weird, bad or disturbing dream you can wake up and chalk it all up to story fodder. It helps me cope with bad dreams a lot.

8. Moonsanity (Brenda)
    · October 26th, 2010 at 9:34 pm · Link

I don’t think I actually tell myself stories…hmmm…I read until I get really really tired which lately has been like 1 or 2 in the morning, and then I drift off. I do think my mind kind of dwells on whatever I’m writing… okay, now I just think I’m weird because I don’t know what the hell I’m thinking before I go to sleep. LOL

Speaking of historicals/romance– I’m thinking the word ravaged is used WAY too much. So much that I find myself using it when I don’t want to, then editing it out. *snort*

Your talk at the book club sounded like a lot of fun. I love talking to kids about writing especially.

9. Angie
    · October 26th, 2010 at 9:38 pm · Link

(Digression: Iโ€™ve never understood people who think it would be โ€œboringโ€ to not have a paying job outside the home. Um, really? No, of course it wasnโ€™t. See, funnily enough, Iโ€™m actually capable of entertaining myself; I donโ€™t need constant stimuli to keep me happy like a baby under a mobile.)

I’ve never understood that either. My first job was working at a fabric store, which was comprised of a few scattered moments of fun and coolness embedded in hundreds of endless hours of suck, all for $3.35/hour, that being minimum wage at the time. There were two older women who worked at the store, one of whom had a husband who supported her nicely and the other of whom had a 40 hr/wk day job. (The second one only worked evenings at the store, coming in right after her regular job.)

Both said that they took the retail job for minimum wage because they needed something to do, couldn’t stand just sitting around doing nothing, felt a need to keep busy, etc.

O_O

Seriously? I didn’t get it then and don’t get it now. Apparently there are people in the world who can’t think of anything fun/interesting/useful to do on their own, but have to subject themselves to retail hell for a pittance of a wage, because the only other activity they can come up with is to sit around staring at the walls. I was 18/19 at the time, and that’s when I formed the opinion that people who can’t come up with whole lists of awesome and interesting things to do in their spare time don’t deserve to have spare time. They can come and, like, clean my house or do my laundry or whatever, and I’ll take that extra spare time and write and read and study and knit and embroider and sew and cook and bake and study history/science/languages/art/anything else that comes to me.

How could a person with more than half a dozen functional brain cells not be able to fill their own spare time? I don’t get it, honestly. :/

Angie

10. Allie
    · October 27th, 2010 at 6:47 am · Link

Yep, told myself stories, continued stories I had read or watched in my head… but then again, I am a bit of a day-dreamer ๐Ÿ˜‰

I would so be a stay at home mum if I could afford it – I am never bored at home whereas I am frequently bored at work…

As for Downside 4 – looks like it might be ‘Ghosts Up The Ass’ after all. Yay!

11. Stephanie D.
    · October 27th, 2010 at 12:35 pm · Link

Hey Stacia! I will sometimes tell my self a story (which is totally normal in my head at least!) but others I will review fav scenes from my fav books! I think I do this because I really want to read the book again but don’t want to read it too soon after I finished it! Glad to hear I am not the olny one how tells herself stories!

12. diana
    · October 27th, 2010 at 1:38 pm · Link

I definitely tell myself bedtime stories…& pity anyone who doesn’t. You can be anyone & do anything in bedtime stories!

13. Karen
    · October 27th, 2010 at 3:40 pm · Link

I can’t get to sleep without creating stories! And yes, I do write for my own pleasure almost daily. (Every english teacher I ever had told me I needed to be a writer, but I’ve never tried to get anything published.)

My son (who is a computer genius) creates computer programs in his head to fall asleep, which I find fascinating.

14. Andrew Jack
    · October 27th, 2010 at 11:55 pm · Link

It’s not just at bedtime, I only come back to reality to eat…

15. Andrew Jack
    · October 27th, 2010 at 11:56 pm · Link

You could just call it Dead Sexy and be done with it?

16. Andrew Jack
    · October 28th, 2010 at 12:40 am · Link

Darn it, someone beat me to that one. I must learn research BEFORE posting.

17. Gwen
    · October 28th, 2010 at 7:24 pm · Link

Wow, I thought I was the only one. I have been telling myself stories for as far back as I can remember. In fact it’s how I spend most of my day and night. I don’t write but I often use the story I’m reading at the time to start out my own story in my head. Stacia you could call Downside 4 anything and I would still buy it.I deffinitly have Terrible fever!

18. Shiloh Walker
    · October 29th, 2010 at 5:30 am · Link

๐Ÿ˜Ž Heh…. yes, I do. And yes, I write… ๐Ÿ˜ˆ and um… if you need any eyes to look over D4, feel free to send…

19. patrick
    · October 30th, 2010 at 10:42 am · Link

I used to tell myself stories before going to sleep when I was younger. Now I usually lay down and read for a while, talk to my dogs, tell my wife goodnight and then promptly pass out from exhaustion. If it takes me more than a couple minutes to fall asleep I find myself thinking about what I have to take care of at work the next day, which should be avoided before sleeping at all costs. Otherwise you find yourself dreaming about work, which is truly an abomination. Dreams should be about people chasing you down endless hallways, monsters, and strange places that are totally alien yet strangely familiar. Oh, and weird sex with people you didn’t realize you wanted to have sex with.

20. Lee lee
    · October 31st, 2010 at 4:15 am · Link

I tell myself stories every night, it is a way to escape the reality of a bad day or to make a good day even better. I think this is the reason I sleep better than every other person I know.

21. kitlina
    · November 1st, 2010 at 8:06 am · Link

I love to read stories, or to be read stories or to think about stories but I never put the pen down and write, it’s not my thing, I don’t enjoy writing, just reading.
    I would love the Downside Stories to be made a series or a movie, or 3 movies ๐Ÿ˜† but just do not pick Alan Ball to be the producer, we all know he fucked up Ch Harris’s books big time ๐Ÿ˜ˆ OMG who would play Terrible :)) Vin Diesel would be good, but with a lot more scarring and a crooked nose :) but make-up can do anything ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. Tweets that mention Deep Thoughts | Stacia Kane -- Topsy.com