Whee! »

What Stace had to say on Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010
Some News!

This is just a short one–I’ve had quite a crazy couple of days, not really very good ones, to be honest–but I did want to announce this because I’m so excited about it! And I think it might make you guys happy.

I’m sure you guys are all familiar with the UF anthologies Charlaine Harris and Toni Kelner have done in the past, like DEATH’S EXCELLENT VACATION and MANY BLOODY RETURNS. And if you’re not you should be, because they’re hugely fun, and Charlaine and Toni are wonderful writers and very cool ladies; it’s an honor just to know them a little bit.

But it’s an especial, especially, special honor to say that there will be a new Downside story in their next anthology, HOME IMPROVEMENT: UNDEAD EDITION, which will be released August 2, 2011 (at least so Amazon says; I just knew it was August).

I was invited to submit back in April, I think, and submitted in July, but of course I didn’t want to say anything and jinx it. So I can finally say something today, and there it is. A new Downside story for everyone!

It’s a fun little story, I think. I did something a bit different with it; I didn’t want to give spoilers, since I knew the fourth book wouldn’t be out yet, but I didn’t want to do something set in the past or anything either, so…well, you’ll just have to see. But I’m quite pleased with it, which is especially exciting since I have kind of a hard time writing shorts, and I’m just really thrilled about the whole thing.

Which comes in quite handy today, to be honest. I’ve had a pretty lousy couple of days; yesterday was especially bad, at least until I woke up this morning and got more horrible news. The news isn’t directly related to me, it’s just dealing with people I know, but it isn’t good and it isn’t fun, and I may talk more about that another time.

But for now I want to focus on the good stuff. There’s going to be a new Downside story next summer, and it’s not a story in continuity, meaning if you don’t read it you won’t miss anything important series-wise, nor will you be completely lost if you haven’t read the series, at least I hope not (I had a few people read it who hadn’t read the books and they all understood it, so that’s good). I just think it’s fun and kind of exciting, and I had a good time writing it, and I’m very pleased it’s going to be out there and available, especially in such great company.

Yay, such fun to have something positive to post!

Cover under the cut…

12 comments to “Some News!”

1. Allie
    · November 3rd, 2010 at 3:27 pm · Link

Woot!!!! Congrats Stacia – can’t wait! 😀

“I didn’t want to give spoilers, since I knew the fourth book wouldn’t be out yet”

It won’t be out by August? *wails*

1.1
      · November 4th, 2010 at 6:46 pm · Link

Sorry, I don’t think so, no!

2. Missy Ann
    · November 3rd, 2010 at 3:39 pm · Link

Yay you!

Do we know the characters in the short? Or is only set in the Downside world?

I was already going to buy this anthology (I buy all the anths with Harris in them) but now I’m going to buy it so hard. 😆

2.1
      · November 4th, 2010 at 6:46 pm · Link

Thanks! You’ll know two of the characters, yes. :-)

3. Jeannie Lin
    · November 3rd, 2010 at 3:42 pm · Link

Nice! Congrats on the good news!

4. Bells
    · November 3rd, 2010 at 7:33 pm · Link

Awesome news! I can’t wait to read it and see the cover!

5. Betsy Dornbusch
    · November 4th, 2010 at 6:36 pm · Link

Good news is always good. :)

6. Amanda S
    · November 5th, 2010 at 8:00 am · Link

Ya! Congrats! That means more readers and that is always a good thing :) I know this because as soon as they read whatever you wrote they’ll be hooked because I was by the 1st couple chapters in the 1st Downside book 😉

7. Jamie
    · November 6th, 2010 at 11:24 am · Link

Yippeee! Can’t wait! It looks like a fantastic list of authors on this one. Of course, I’m most excited for the Downside story.

8. Granny
    · November 7th, 2010 at 8:59 pm · Link

Am excited about the new story. impatiently awaiting the next Downside book. Looks like your story will be in good company. Spreading the news far and near about your fantastic books. Write faster!!

9. TravelingGal
    · November 7th, 2010 at 9:48 pm · Link

Congratulations – I can’t wait until next summer! I just discovered the Downside books last month and have already read all three through twice. The ending of COG was perfect (seriously, I cried) but I’m delighted to know that there will be more.

· November 10th, 2010 at 11:07 am · Link

Outstanding! I’m looking forward to the new story.

1. Tweets that mention Some News! | Stacia Kane -- Topsy.com