What Stace had to say on Saturday, November 13th, 2010
Whee!

We all know I’m pretty tech-stupid. We also know I bought a netbook a while ago. We may also know that I’ve been having problems with Safari (which I use on my Mac) for months and months; it freezes whenever someone even says the word “Flash” in its presence, for example. Or it’ll halt and stick when people have animations in their sig lines on forums. Stuff like that. But of course being tech-stupid–in addition to being someone with a semi-pathological hatred and fear of change–the idea of switching to a new browser made me Very Nervous.

Anyway. Last night I took a little break from working to mess around online. I’ve been using the netbook to write lately; I bought a portable hard drive to use for memory for it (it’s gotten lousy reviews, I see. Personally it works great for me, but again, all I’m using it for is extra memory for the netbook). I find the keyboard on that easier to work on; the keys aren’t as stiff as on the Mac so it’s less painful on my fingers. And–although this may change now–it wasn’t as easy to browse online on the netbook, which meant I focused more on work.

So I decided to do something bold, and download Google Chrome instead of continuing to use IE on the netbook. Yes, it was a crazy move, but I’m just wild that way. I also uninstalled Norton antivirus, because I’m sick to death of being constantly interrupted by it, and installed the Microsoft Malware/Virus tool thingie instead. If I could figure out how to uninstall IE and Netflix I would, because I like uninstalling things and making room.

Anyway. I played with Google Chrome for several hours last night, discussed it a bit on Twitter and io9, and today I decided I like it so much I wanted it on the Mac. So I’m not using it exclusively on the Mac and the netbook, and I’ve installed some nifty extensions (that I had no idea what they were until a Twitter pal and then my io9 pals told me about them and where to go) that make me all happy. It really is MUCH faster than Safari or IE were, and it’s pretty (you can customize the background & colors and stuff) and fun. So I’m recommending it, at least for now, assuming it doesn’t fall apart on me in the weeks to come. It imported all of my bookmarks and saves all of my passwords and does all kinds of nifty things. So I’m happy.

And, I’m about to get back to work. This is a pretty dull little post, I know, but what the heck. I’m in the final stretch of Downside 4–it’s never taken me this long to write a novel before, but hopefully it’ll end up worth it–and can’t really think of much else. All hell is breaking loose, and we have death threats and decayed bodies and nasty witchcraft and ghosts and bloodshed and the requisite personal intrigue and all of that. (And yes, I have used the name of my Name-A-Character-Contest winner.) So I’m at the point now where I’m having tons of fun and I’m about to have a LOT more. Heh heh heh.

And I’ll hopefully have a title to share soon as well; I just sent my editor a big long list of possibilities.

I’ve got a couple of longer ranty posts to go up, but those will have to wait until after the book is finished.

13 comments to “Whee!”

1. Shiloh Walker
    · November 13th, 2010 at 9:26 pm · Link

Oh come on. Rant a while. Rants are fun. No. Wait. Finish the book. Send it to me. THEN rant… *G* I have my priorities.

2. Jackie B Central Texas
    · November 14th, 2010 at 9:09 pm · Link

😀 I have been absolutely ecstatic since downloading Google Chrome and not using Safari on my Mac as my main browser.. I have a bookmark on the top of the browser that shows how many emails I have in my gmail, allows me to go directly to my twitter tweets when want to send something while scouting finds on the internet to share, along with my Get Glue app which takes me to my account to see my suggestions and messages.. They have a long list of Apps for Chrome and it is just so much easier than Safari and since have my IMac forgot even how to go about using IE but know Chrome is much faster….

jackie >_<

3. Chelsea / Vampire Book Club
    · November 15th, 2010 at 10:55 am · Link

Chrome is crazy fast. I still don’t really like it on my mac so much, but I use it on my PC at work and zoooooom! Awesomeness.

…also, as the name a character winner, now I have to speculate if I’m part of bloodshed. Is it wrong that I hope so? 😉

3.1
      · November 17th, 2010 at 8:43 pm · Link

It’s not wrong, no. I think you’ll be pleased. :-)

· November 15th, 2010 at 6:22 pm · Link

Remember, the malware thingy won’t protect you from getting a virus or malware. It only removes the ones it recognizes after they’ve already taken over your hard drive. It’s a good idea to have an active anti-virus program keeping up to date on all the bad stuff the trolls create every day. :)

4.1
      · November 17th, 2010 at 8:35 pm · Link

It’s a full-on antivirus program, though, at least that’s what it says. Microsoft Security Essentials, is what it’s called. http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

I’m continuing to hunt for another antivirus program, too, but the Microsoft one is supposedly pretty good. :)

5. Betsy Dornbusch
    · November 15th, 2010 at 9:05 pm · Link

I hate Safari. It’s only on my iPad and it SUCKS.

I’ll look into downloading something else, though I’m a Firefox girlie.

Ditto Bernard on the anti-virus. Seriously. Nasty shit will kill your netbook and maybe your work along with it.

5.1
      · November 17th, 2010 at 8:36 pm · Link

It’s called Microsoft Security Essentials, and I think it’s a full-on antivirus program, not just the malware removal tool: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

I’m looking at some other ones too, I just couldn’t take Norton anymore. :)

5.2
      · November 17th, 2010 at 8:43 pm · Link

Oh, and I guess lots of people love Firefox; I gave Chrome a try because I knew someone else who’d put it on their netbook and loved it, so I put it on the Mac in the interests of completion, really. :-) But if I hadn’t liked it I would have gone to Firefox next.

I highly recommend Chrome though, if you decide to try something else. It’s been a few days now and I’m still really pleased with it.

6. Gwen
    · November 16th, 2010 at 6:54 pm · Link

Try AVG it’s free and works great!

6.1
      · November 17th, 2010 at 8:36 pm · Link

Thanks! I’m looking at that one now!

7. Allie
    · November 18th, 2010 at 1:16 pm · Link

A computery-fixy type person recommended to me the Microsoft antivirus software you have. He said he loads it on all of his clients computers… :smile:

8. Analisa
    · November 19th, 2010 at 5:17 pm · Link

OMG !!! All hell breaking loose, death threats, decayed bodies and nasty witchcraft, plus ghosts and bloodshed !!! May I hope for some steamy Terrible action ?? That would make it just PERFECT for me, LOL.

1. Tweets that mention Whee! | Stacia Kane -- Topsy.com