What Stace had to say on Friday, December 17th, 2010
Twitter Ruined my Day

Oooh! Before I forget! The Downside books (all three of them!) are listed as #2 on the B&N Explorations list of the Best Paranormal Fantasies of 2010! Very exciting for me! Especially when I get to be on that list with so many of my awesome friends, like Kat Richardson, Jaye Wells, Kelly Meding, and Nicole Peeler, and my person-I-wish-I-knew-better Skyler White. I totally wanted to meet Skyler at Dragoncon, but I we had one panel together and I was meeting someone right after. Of course I later found out she’d wanted to meet me too, but we missed out, and have exchanged a few emails but as you all know, I am a terrible pen pal, so…my fault. Sorry Skyler! I’m not blowing you off, I swear, I really am that lazy and swamped!

Anyway. Down to how Twitter ruined my fucking day, which it did.

The last few days–ever since the day I logged in and got a nice little reminder from Twitter that I wouldn’t be able to use Old Twitter–much longer, Twitter’s been fucking up. Like it keeps sticking the same tweet in my “What’s Happening” window, or takes me to my DM box instead of taking me to my timeline, or whatever. Obviously–since it’s now giving me the sternly worded reminder at the top of my screen that Old Twitter won’t be available much longer–Twitter is trying to push me into changing.

But here’s the thing. I hate and fear change. It freaks me out. Especially stuff like that. Bigger changes, like moves, don’t bother me that much, but let the grocery store move the soda aisle and I’m upset for days. (Once they redecorated the office where I worked; I literally cried at my desk for weeks, it bothered me so much to have everything rearranged and different.) So I’ve been resisting the Twitter change as much as possible.

But today I got sick of it fucking up, so decided whatever, why not. And made the switch.

Why not? I’ll tell you why not. Because New Twitter sucks gorilla ass, that’s why not. It’s ugly. It’s counterintuitive. It’s harder to use: harder to follow conversations, impossible to @ reply to more than one person at a time (with OT you can just click “Reply” to three or four different people; I can’t figure out how to do it at all in New Twitter, because when you click Reply it brings up this irritating new box and dulls out the rest of the screen. Which makes it harder to repeat stuff, too, but Twitter obviously doesn’t care about us having conversations).

It took me about half an hour to decide it was time to try some apps. First was Seesmic, because I had a few people say they liked it. Seesmic was okay, but the columns were really narrow and it’s frankly rather ugly. It’s not very configurable, either. But really it was the narrow columns and tiny print; my eyes are bad enough without that.

So I headed for Tweetdeck, which my friend Yasmine Galenorn recommended. It looked rather scary, frankly, but I decided to give it a go.

Except I use Google Chrome, and I want to use my Twitter app through it, as a tab, and not as a separate window. Tweetdeck in Google Chrome doesn’t give you the ability to follow conversations (like “in reply to”) or to reply to more than one person. When I mentioned this I was deluged with people insisting it did, all of whom were trying to help, none of whom were using Google Chrome on a Mac, and all of whom basically succeeded in panicking me further to the point of tears. (It was confirmed, btw, that there is no way to follow conversations etc. in Tweetdeck using Google Chrome.)

Also, installing Tweetdeck for Chrome “upgraded” my Chrome, so now my homepage doesn’t give me little pictures of screens but just a row of page names, most of which are abbreviated. It also made my Home, Refresh, and Back-Forward arrow keys invisible. More panic. I had to switch my Chrome theme (I’m using Wes Craven now) to get to see them again.

So screw Tweetdeck. I deleted it from the computer. I was told most people who use a Mac use Tweetie. Tweetie looked a lot like Old Twitter, which was quite soothing. But Tweetie is also a separate window, a little narrow one. Not what I’m looking for. Deleted it as well.

I headed to TWhirl next. Again, TWhirl looked good; I liked that it looked nice and basic and familiar. It seemed easy to use. But to download it would require letting it do something with “Adobe Air,” which I don’t know what that is, and after having my Chrome look all weird I didn’t want to mess with anything that would change anything on my computer again. Also, why should I download stuff? I didn’t download Twitter, it’s just a website. The fact that I had to d/l it made me suspect it was a in-its-own-window thing, and I didn’t want to take the chance.

So I went to Hootsuite. Okay. Hootsuite has a lot of things I really like; I really, really like the “Show conversation” link at the bottom of tweets that are replies to others, and you can, well, see a whole conversation. And it’s nice and clear and easy to read. I kind of like that I have a separate column for my DMs, though it’s not really necessary.

But unless I want to pay for Hootsuite I’m going to get these “promoted tweets,” which are ads. Ads for things I don’t give a damn about either. It’s not a huge deal but still.

I went back to Seesmic and discovered that I can widen the columns, which was good. Both Seesmic and Hootsuite have Refresh buttons right there on the screen, which is cool. Seesmic doesn’t have the “Follow conversation” button but if I clock “In reply to ” it will show me what was said. And it does have a thing where if you click on a DM it expands the whole conversation in cool little bubbles, whereas Hootsuite doesn’t. Neither of them are great at DMs, though; Seesmic doesn’t want to show you incoming ones, Hootsuite doesn’t want to show outgoing. But those are the frontrunners at the moment.

For the moment I’m back to Old Twitter, hoping someone will have a suggestion for me.

The one bright spot in the day was getting a holiday giftie from my darling friend Caitlin, which was awesome, and having a nice chat with my agent, who likes my new idea, and is as puzzled as I on the origins of the word “taint” and why it’s suddenly the hot new body part.

So… Twitter apps? Anyone?

And I’m getting a fairly enthusiastic response to my idea of sending out one last excerpt of Downside 4 for my Downside Army members…so I’m leaning…thoughts on that are welcome too. (Also, in the spirit of the holiday season, it will be an excerpt with kissing. If I send one. See how nice I am?)

17 comments to “Twitter Ruined my Day”

1. Missy Ann
    · December 17th, 2010 at 8:45 pm · Link

Nothing constructive to add beyond you’re not the only one. Seriously I read “Except I use Google Chrome, and I want to use my Twitter app through it, as a tab, and not as a separate window.” out loud to my husband saying “See!!!! It’s not just me!”

2. Inky_Ash
    · December 17th, 2010 at 8:51 pm · Link

An excerpt with kissing would make the rest of my year.

I have no suggestions with Twitter as I feel the same way about change and have thus far refused to even click the new Twitter. But good luck!

3. Jinxie_G
    · December 17th, 2010 at 9:09 pm · Link

Ooh, I’m glad I’m not the only one who freaks out over stuff like that. I don’t feel quite so insane now. :) I hate the new Twitter too and have no idea what to do, but I’m resisting for as long as possible on my main account.

4. Kevin Riley
    · December 17th, 2010 at 9:22 pm · Link

Not that I expect this to help, and I do want to help, but Adobe Air is just fine. It’s a platform for running programs that are made using one of adobe’s suites. Tweetdeck for windows uses adobe air. My company has a special program that uses adobe air. I understand your pain though and wish I could help fix the broken twitter.

5. David M.
    · December 17th, 2010 at 10:05 pm · Link

Well, if it’s a requirement that you run the Twitter “app” through Chrome, then your only option is to go through the apps at the Chrome Web Store. I will save you a little trouble and let you know none of the apps I tried allowed you to reply to more than one person like you are used to. I didn’t try them all, however. Then again, the only applications I know of that will let you do that is OT and Tweetdeck for the desktop.

But hey, I like the new Twitter because it’s easier for me to follow conversations (clicking on a Tweet displays all relevant tweets). Different strokes, I guess.

6. Andrew Jack
    · December 17th, 2010 at 10:14 pm · Link

Well you know,how I feel about Twitter, at least the new Twitter.

A little bit of advance Downside would be awesome.

7. Nadia Lee
    · December 17th, 2010 at 10:29 pm · Link

I use Twhirl. Adobe Air won’t mess up your other programs. I have Adobe Air on my Win Mac & XP and none of my programs are affected.

8. Emma
    · December 18th, 2010 at 3:13 am · Link

I swear I was listening about Twitter, really, but my eyes saw excerpt and DA! That’d be an awesome Christmas present.

I hate new Twitter. Old Twitter is arranged logically and I can understand it. New Twitter is too confusing with too many columns. I wish they hadn’t changed it.

· December 18th, 2010 at 10:25 am · Link

Whenever you get upset just consider how ‘Chess’ would react to the situation. I’m already channeling ‘Terrible’ at work. :)

10. Andrew Jack
    · December 18th, 2010 at 2:01 pm · Link

Hmmm a “send Terrible” button would be a great thing to have on your keyboard…

11. Jennifer Spiller
    · December 18th, 2010 at 5:53 pm · Link

Adobe Air word of warning. It is *constantly* needing to update. I am an update hater and it is the one thing which drives me crazy about my Tweetdeck, which uses Adobe Air. Updates never fail to screw something up for me. I fear updates. The very idea makes me break out in a nervous sweat.

11.1
      · December 18th, 2010 at 7:02 pm · Link

You too? THANK YOU so much for letting me know! I HATE updates, and yeah, they always mess up something.

I especially hate when my computer finally gets sick of me clicking the “Not Now” button and takes the updates into its own hands. Always when I’m right in the middle of a scene or something. It shuts me right down and leaves me panicking until it restarts and I can see if I lost anything. Grr.

So that is definitely important info.

12. Chelsea / Vampire Book Club
    · December 18th, 2010 at 7:16 pm · Link

Kissing excerpt, preferably with Terrible, would make my day… just saying… 😉

As for Twitter apps, I’m all about Hootsuite. It’s not perfect, but it’s the least glitchy and I find it to be the easiest to manage busier days on Twitter.

13. Adriene Rivera
    · December 19th, 2010 at 4:27 pm · Link

14. Gwen
    · December 19th, 2010 at 9:21 pm · Link

I took one look at Twitter and thought Fuck that! I don’t get it and if the new Twitter is even harder to understand then forget it. I’ll just stick with my author’s blogs. I am starving for some Chess and Terrible so a little excerpt just might save my life. I hope Twitter didn’t ruin your holiday season,Merry Christmas everyone.

15. Nona Mills
    · December 22nd, 2010 at 4:02 pm · Link

I really just wanted to say that these blogs are almost as entertaining as the downside books! Holy cow, I never knew that copyright or Thanksgiving was a funny subject…Maybe, this is because I love swearing, I don’t know why..BUT, everytime I do it, everyone around stops and stares! I am not just being paranoid either, and I know that I am using it in the right context..It sadly doesn’t work for me. I could never get away with saying “The New Twitter Sucks Gorilla Ass”. Maybe I just need more practice time(kinda hard, since I have 3 children)…Well, anyways it totally works for you, and it cracks me up! I LOVE it!! haha AND-I voted for you on the Goodread awards!! I have read most of the books up for the award, and you deserve to win..

16. Diana Pharaoh Francis
    · December 24th, 2010 at 2:18 am · Link

I’m using Tweetdeck. I haven’t gone to new Twitter and it wants me too, but honestly, I never found old Twitter that usable either. Course I like the sounds of some of the things you want and are interested in, so I’ll be curious if you find something particularly useful. Tweetdeck is reasonably functional for me thus far. But I’m with you on change, especially to computer programming. Part of why I switched to a Mac was because they don’t completely fuck up the OS whenever a new one comes out and I don’t feel like I’ve walked into the twilight zone.

I’ve no real help to offer, though, because I’m using Firefox, not Chrome. Wanna know why? Cause I hate change!!!!! :mrgreen:

1. Tweets that mention Twitter Ruined my Day | Stacia Kane -- Topsy.com