What Stace had to say on Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011
Some Quick Notes

This is just a quick one, everyone, a few little tidbits of tidbittiness.

1. I turned in my story for the MAMMOTH BOOK OF GHOST ROMANCE. I’m fairly pleased with it, although writing romance really isn’t my forte, necessarily, and you all know sorts definitely aren’t. Plus, it’s a Downside story–or more accurately, a Chess/Terrible Triumph City story–so writing a happy ending was a bit weird, ha. But I think it’s a fairly sweet little tale, and I think there’s enough this-love-thing-kinda-sucks in there to make it work. Plus, kinky hippies.

2. Working on edits for Book 4, and plan to start Book 5 tonight. At some point these books need titles, although I admit the idea of simply titling them “4” and “5” has its own ascetic appeal.

3. Working on New Project too. Still pleased with it 3,000 words in, which is nice, since usually the “This sucks” sets in after the first few pages.

4. I will be doing the “Write What You Know” post soon.

5. Also…it occurred to me last week, I think, that I never did get around to doing my Editing posts, and the editor interviews. So look for those in the next month or so, I think, because I totally don’t have enough on my plate and need to pile more work onto myself.

6. My good friend Yasmine Galenorn had a book release yesterday! BLOOD WYNE, the latest in her Otherworld series.

7. Oh, shit! I forgot to mention, I got my Dragon*con Guest Agreement letter the other night, so failing a major problem, I will once again be a guest this year.

Valentine’s Day is coming up; I went to the grocery store a few minutes ago (I know! Can you believe I left the house? Crazy!) and they have all of their heart-shaped boxes of chocolate and pink-wrapped Hershey’s Kisses and stuff out. Which is all very cute, but I hate Valentine’s Day. I always tell the hubs to ignore it, and he always says he will then feels guilty at the last minute and gets me something, and it’s usually something I get annoyed by because if he was going to spend the money why couldn’t it be on something I actually wanted (I’m a big proponent of “Stick to the list!”) and we end up, if not fighting, then at least grumpy.

Oh, and one year he got us these Valentine’s Day crackers, like Christmas crackers? Where you pull the ends and there’s a little paper hat etc. inside? Anyway. These had little shiny red hearts inside them. I swear we found hearts in the couch/on the floor for the next year and a half. It’s like glitter, where one person uses glitter in the house and for the next ten years odd bits of glitter keep sticking themselves to you for no reason at all. It’s like it gets in the air shafts.

Anyway. Valentine’s Day sucks, so let me be the first to go one record with my “It Sucks” post. (Although some of you might be very interested to know that the rooftop scene in UNHOLY MAGIC took place on that day. No, it’s never mentioned outright–and the holiday no longer exists in that world, of course–but in my head, given the timeline, I realized early on that it was the early-middle of February in dramatic time, so it fit very well.)

I can’t remember the last time I had a really good Valentine’s Day, actually. I think it was in early elementary school? For a long time, like all through high school, I was sick on Valentine’s Day. I used to get respiratory infections every year in October and February.

Oh, and the really fun one? In junior high our school did a fundraiser where you could send your friends flowers–carnations–in their classrooms. Because that’s a really good idea when you’re dealing with junior-high-age kids: give them another chance to openly measure and compare at a glance how many friends everyone has, and a perfect excuse for them to be even nastier to one another.

Anyway. In seventh grade I was sick the whole week before, and so no one sent me any flowers (of course, they might not have had I been there, either; I didn’t have a lot of friends, and the few I had didn’t have a lot of money, and neither did I). So I got to walk around the whole day with bitchy little soc girls asking me where my flowers were, and hadn’t anyone sent me any? with extremely pleased grins on their faces. I was twelve. That shit matters when you’re twelve. It was pretty awful.

Ah, glorious childhood memories. So anyway, yeah. I’m happy to buy the candy, because I love candy (I’ve managed to cut back on my peanut-butter cup dependency, btw. I’m down to four a night), but the rest of it? Meh.

Got any bad Valentine’s Day memories to share?

17 comments to “Some Quick Notes”

1. lexcade
    · February 2nd, 2011 at 4:13 pm · Link

as though i needed another reason to think you kick ass.

until i was 21 or 22, i’d never had a “valentine.” regardless of when the relationship began, i was always single until VD, and so my mom and i were always each other’s valentines (my dad had to work). when i started college, in an effort to quell the sugar-fest, i would find the most violent movie possible and watch it.

after my boyfriend and i started dating, i explained to him in no uncertain terms that i do NOT celebrate VD. our first year together, he tried to get me to. since then, though, he’s accepted that i’m not a girly girl whose life revolves around this horrid pink holiday (and in the midwest, there’s also Sweetest Day in october, so even more sucktitude there).

boo VD. yay, chocolate 😛

2. Mr Kane
    · February 2nd, 2011 at 4:20 pm · Link

Oh right! That reminds me, so what do you want to do for Valentine’s Day this year baby?

-Imminent *Wrath of Kane* response in 3… 2… 1*

2.1
      · February 2nd, 2011 at 4:41 pm · Link

*sigh* You’re so funny. You’re just so, so funny. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Let’s see who’s laughing when you sleep on the couch. 😉

3. Marie
    · February 2nd, 2011 at 4:21 pm · Link

First off, I have to say that it’s weird that you thought about the editor posts now, because for some reason I’ve been thinking about the post you wrote asking if we had any questions for an editor, and just a few days ago, I went back to that post to see what I’d asked. (I was one of the few people who did. lol) I’d been thinking of asking you whether those posts were canceled or not. 😉

As for Valentine’s Day, I pretty much hate it too. We had the flower thing in High School, and, no, I never got any flowers either. Neither did my friends, so there was comfort in that, at least. We weren’t really the kind of people who sent each other flowers.
    Our school did have another day we celebrated, for the invented “patron saint” for the school, and a couple of friends sent a note to me and another friend that day, which was kind of fun. I think the other students were surprised that we got something. There were always a couple of students that got all the flowers and notes.

I’ve made Valentine’s Day more into a second Father’s Day. I’ve given my dad cards, and sometimes he’s given me a box of chocolates.

I hate walking around town in February, when everwhere you see is hearts and kisses and bears. Ugh. For someone who’s single it just feels like a huge reminder that, yeah you’re all aloooone, you haven’t got anybody. It’s not something I think about a lot otherwise, but it just feels like the stores are rubbing it in. Hate it.

4. Eridani
    · February 2nd, 2011 at 4:24 pm · Link

When I was 24, I had a boyfriend send me a beautiful bouquet of a dozen red roses as a Valentine’s Day gift. He was out of the country and wouldn’t be back until the day after Valentine’s Day, so he sent the flowers on ahead and we’d celebrate the next day. It was clearly a very expensive arrangement because both the crystal Mikasa vase and the flowers were truly gorgeous – and also, apparently, delicious. During the night, my cat knocked the vase to the floor and devoured the flowers, ripping them to shreds. The vase was in a million pieces and kitty cut his front paws on it and was vomiting everywhere after feasting upon the roses.

$200 dollars later, we came home from the vet. My boyfriend called me and asked if I got the flowers. I was like, uh, well, actually, ahem… He was pissed. He said, “Man, I told you you should get rid of that f*cking cat!” I was not thrilled with this response considering the f*cking cat in question had his paws all bandaged and I felt like the worst owner in the world. Loverboy didn’t last long after that.

I still have the cat!

5. Stephanie D.
    · February 2nd, 2011 at 4:28 pm · Link

We do not bother to make a special day out of loving each other so we do not participate in the gift giving! We love each other every day!

• Lunamoth42
      5.1
      · February 2nd, 2011 at 5:04 pm · Link

Ditto what Stephanie D. said. The only thing we celebrate is his mother’s birthday, on that day.

I was that kid in grade school who went to the trouble to fill out the cheesy little Valentines for the whole class and put them in people’s Valentines boxes/bags. Yet my Valentine box remained basically empty. I decided early on that the holiday was a bunch of crap.

I’m SO GLAD we don’t get any TV channels to be barraged by diamond rings adverts or other such rubbish.

6. Michele Lee
    · February 2nd, 2011 at 5:23 pm · Link

I never got flowers or balloons or anything as a kid and commonly had to send those heart suckers to myself. I hated V-day as a kid. But now it’s become our unofficial anniversary (J and I got together the second weekend in Feb, which just rounds to Valentine’s time.)

I want to send flowers to my daughter, but she goes to a school where no one else will be getting any, so it seems like I’d be on the wrong side of trying to make sure she doesn’t get forgotten like me.

7. Katie
    · February 2nd, 2011 at 5:44 pm · Link

my mom owned a gift shop for all my teenage years which meant my brother and sister were stuck blowing up, delivering, and arranging everyone elses stupid crap into the wee hours of 2/13 every year. Our universal family threat to each other is “I’ll send you balloons on Valentines Day if you don’t watch it.” haha!
    poo on Valentines Day.
    p.s. my favorite year though was the one where my mom took the order for the guy to send flowers to his wife and his girlfriend on the same order. Mom pitched a fit and his money back at him.

8. Leah
    · February 2nd, 2011 at 8:53 pm · Link

This will be my worst VD. I’ll let ya know how it goes…heh

9. Brenda H./Moonsanity
    · February 2nd, 2011 at 9:34 pm · Link

See, it was the opposite for me. I HATED St. Valentine’s Day with a fierce passion all of my life until I married my husband– I was almost 30. On the surface he doesn’t seem like the romantic type, no public displays of affection, he’s kind of a hard ass etc. but for 22 years he’s made it special even when we had NO money. No big, fancy gifts either– just small, things like truffles or wine or a movie. Yeah, I’m a sucker for it now– discusting I know. But, hey, I had almost 30 bitter years, so it’s okay. *snort* I actually have given little tea parties for my kids some years. :mrgreen:

10. LBomb
    · February 2nd, 2011 at 11:30 pm · Link

AHH St. Valentines day- *wretch*

I’m not much for the fake Holidays- specifically the ones designed to make you feel like poo..

My Jr. High also did the “I’m better than you” carnation hellride. 7th grade we suffered. But by 8th grade, we learned to make “crazy daisies.” The attempted color was black, they all turned out grey, HOWEVER, our anti-VD, elitist bubble popping extravaganza was quite the occasion.

I do remember my Dad giving us those chocolate filled hearts every year- After I finished my candy (4 minutes or less, usually) I’d use the box to stash my childood valuables like matchbox cars, star wars figures, pennies, failed spelling tests, and the candy I pinched from my sisters box. I do miss that, and him.
    *sigh*

2/14 can bite me-
    Laura

oh, p.s- glitter and/or confetti type decorations are the herpes of all crafts- they NEVER go away

11. Carolyn Crane
    · February 3rd, 2011 at 9:46 am · Link

My high school boyfriend of 2 years took me to a party on Valentines day, met a girl there that he liked better, drove me home and broke up with me in the car, then went back to the party. Yay! He was a jerk anyway.

Also, Stacia, I didn’t realize you were in MBOGHOST romance! So am I! I am so happy that you are too.

· February 3rd, 2011 at 12:44 pm · Link

I’ll take anything ‘Downside’ title or not. :)

13. Amanda S
    · February 3rd, 2011 at 5:05 pm · Link

V-day sucks! and Thanks for reminding me when I was 12 and didn’t get any flowers either~ The angst! The shame! lol Gah I’m so glad those days are over :) Me n hubby get the kiddos candy and we love each other the same like we do EVERYDAY…much 😉
    I also remember getting vday stuff for a boyfriend I had at 14 and going to his house to give it to him only to find out he was out with another girl…yuck.
    Sooo excited Galenorns book is out I’ve been waiting for this one…
    Also, I’m a stay at home momma to a 2 year old spawn…is it weird that I hardly ever leave home too? Everyone around me seems to think so.
    Can’t wait to get MBOGhost!

14. Shiloh Walker
    · February 5th, 2011 at 5:54 pm · Link

yay! mammoth book of ghost romance… that sounds fun… 👿

15. CrankyAmy
    · February 14th, 2011 at 2:06 pm · Link

Heh, going back through your last few blog posts.

I had my tonsils removed the Valentine’s Day my senior year in high school. Spent most of the day puking blood. Needless to say, I still think it’s a stupid, made up ‘holiday’.
    😯