What Stace had to say on Monday, February 14th, 2011
Title! News! Stuff like that!

This is just a quick update today; I’m knee-deep in a bunch of stuff–not least of which, of course, if the fifth Downside book, which crossed the 13k mark last night and which is (touch wood) going really well so far. Dastardly deeds already abound, and we’ve so far had injuries and creepiness and corpses and blood all over the street.

And of course I have edits for Downside 4, as well, which you may or may not have heard now has an official title!

SACRIFICIAL MAGIC

I’m excited about it; it fits the book really well, and yes, that is sort of a hint, but you’ll never guess the big thing it’s hinting at/referring to, trust me.

I’m also working on a new project, which a few people have asked me about. I’m not saying anything about it, really, because I don’t want to jinx it. It’s something I’ve actually been sort of fiddling with for a while, but have had a bunch of false starts on, so I’m hoping this is the one that will stick. Keeping my fingers crossed, anyway. It’s called DREADFUL THINGS. Only about 7k words so far, but words I’m really pleased with. Lots of worldbuilding, which is tons of fun, and hints of Dark Doings in my heroine’s past, and murders and magic and rooftops and sewers and all those things that make books worth writing. So we’ll see where it goes, anyway.

Let’s see, what else. I was going to blog today about why we don’t get real men in movies/TV anymore, but I was so busy playing with the WIPs last night I forgot to write it. Or rather, by the time I got around to it, it was 4 am, and that’s my bedtime (I have started forcing myself to go to bed at 4, because otherwise I’ll never go to bed at all). Of course, since I go to bed so late, I also sleep late, which is why I try to do my blog posts the night before, which is why I didn’t do the Man one. So look for that on Wednesday, and then the long-promised Write What You Know post will be along very soon too, and I’m looking forward to that one.

Anyway. Since this is rather short and all, here’s a snippet from Downside Five, just for fun. I’m making the print white, because it does contain a very minor spoiler; it may be important to the plot or it may not, but just in case you don’t want even a hint of what sorts of things may happen in the fifth book, you can skip it.

This is from the second chapter, and Lex was waiting for Chess when she got home.

He walked the few more steps into her living room, plunked himself down on her new couch. Well, maybe not exactly new—she’d had it about two months—but it still seemed new.

Without asking she grabbed a beer from the fridge and handed it to him.

He nodded his thanks. “Coursen…now you mentioning it, could be maybe I got a favor you could do me.”

Uh-huh. She let the totally-not-fooled expression sit on her face another few seconds. “Really. Like what?”

“Thinking maybe you ain’t mind working me up a chatter with Terrible.”

If she’d had any liquid in her mouth she would have sprayed it everywhere in shock; as it was she just sort of sputtered. “What—but—why? Why would you want to talk to him?”

“Got my reasonings, I do.”

Oh, and happy Valentine’s Day and all of that if you’re into that sort of thing.

12 comments to “Title! News! Stuff like that!”

1. Nachtangel
    · February 14th, 2011 at 1:56 pm · Link

Love the title! Although I am a tad worried about what it could be related to, the last book I read with Sacrifice in the title caused a lot of tears XD

2. Allie (reader not a writer)
    · February 14th, 2011 at 3:04 pm · Link

OMFG!!!!

Can’t wait to see where that goes…

3. Anna
    · February 14th, 2011 at 3:11 pm · Link

Love the title!
    And i can’t wait for it to get published!

4. Stephanie D.
    · February 14th, 2011 at 3:51 pm · Link

Love the snippet and the new title!!! Can’t wait for the book!

• Joanna
      4.1
      · February 15th, 2011 at 9:50 am · Link

How do we see it?

5. Michele Lee
    · February 14th, 2011 at 5:23 pm · Link

Yay!!!!

6. Mardel
    · February 15th, 2011 at 3:34 am · Link

You have all this exciting news and a snippet for us, and of course…

what I focus on is the fact that you don’t go to bed until 4 a.m. and even then you FORCE yourself to.

I do this also. I’ve done it for years…except now I’m 50, am not in the best of health and I have to go to work at 10 a.m. every morning. But can I get to bed any sooner? NO = I can’t. Everynight I’m messing around on the computer or reading or even watching stupid t.v. shows because I can’t sleep. I even have to force myself to go to bed around 3 0r 3.30. sometimes I’m still up til 5a.m. sometimes I just give up and stay up all night and day.

lol – not sure when that will stop or if I should even worry about it at this point. I am 50 – way past reforming myself. lol. My husband has finally gotten used to this.

btw – am so happy there’s more Downside books coming. I’ve missed reading about Chess, Terrible and Lex. Fun books and a messed up character that I can relate to. 😉

7. krupke
    · February 15th, 2011 at 8:36 am · Link

Thanks Stacia

Looking forward to Sacrificial Magic and Dreadful Things

I’m sure both will be light hearted romps! 😉

8. Joanna
    · February 15th, 2011 at 9:52 am · Link

How do we see the snippet? I know it is probably super simple but I’m challenged like that?

• Nachtangel
      8.1
      · February 15th, 2011 at 9:53 am · Link

Highlight the text and you should be able to see it :)

8.2
      · February 15th, 2011 at 12:59 pm · Link

Did you see it?

9. Lisa S.
    · February 15th, 2011 at 5:42 pm · Link

Om nom, nom, writery goodness from my favorite authoress…… ;0)

1. Tweets that mention Title! News! Stuff like that! | Stacia Kane -- Topsy.com