What Stace had to say on Tuesday, March 1st, 2011
Check them out

Tomorrow I’m going to do what I think will be a really fun post, hee. This weekend the hubs and I were looking for a specific document and so ended up going through a bunch of boxes we haven’t looked at in quite some time. And in one of those boxes were several of my elementary-school report cards, which I have scanned (well, he scanned them, as our scanner hates me and never wants to work for me) and cropped and will be posting tomorrow, just for giggles. Some of my teachers’ comments are pretty interesting.

But today, it’s all about stuff you need to check out!

First. Some of you know I hang out on io9 sometimes, although now that they’ve changed their format I’m not there as much as I used to be. I did make some good pals there, though, and one night on Twitter we started talking about what a shame it was that io9 didn’t do more “girl geek” news.

So my pals decided to do something about it. Stellar Four is a blog for all things ladygeek; it has a special focus on things like jewelry, clothes, make-up, crafts, etc., but is of course still devoted to all things sci-fi/fantasy/comics/etc. I highly recommend you check it out, and leave some comments and all of that; I’m hoping to find time to write an article or two for them myself, because I think the idea behind the site is such a great, exciting one.

Second. Last week my dear friend Caitlin Kittredge‘s first YA novel was released: THE IRON THORN. I got to read this a long time ago–I actually got to read the proposal before she sent it to her agent–and I have to tell you I was sooooo excited, and so filled with writer-envy over the absolutely stunning world/characters/writing. It was not a surprise to me that the trilogy sold in like a day. I of course ran out to buy the book the minute it was released, because I need to own it–it’s so good–and I highly recommend you all do the same. Seriously, you don’t want to miss this one.

We had some other releases last week, too! In fact, we had so many that I’m going to link you to my friend Carolyn Crane’s page on them all. Jackie Kessler, Dakota Cassidy, Richelle Mead, Jaye Wells, Anton Strout, Michelle Bardsley…there’s a whole bunch of them, so go check them out.

Still hard at work on the fifth Downside book, and still pleased with it. We’re just over 30k at the moment and things are starting to get really crazy. Hee!

Oh, one other thing. The other night on Twitter a discussion was started (okay, by me) about whether or not the Contact email on a writer’s website should be labeled as for “Fan Mail.” Like, “Send Fan Mail to…”

I personally think it sounds a bit…well, not great, honestly. It sounds kind of egotistical. Like, “Oh, all of my fans will want to email me.” It’s not an issue when other people refer to them as fans so much, but for me to do so feels kind of wrong. I prefer “readers.” I do have readers (and I love and am grateful for them, as you all know) but I don’t think of them as “fans.” That implies to me a sort of subordinate level, if you know what I mean, like I consider myself above those “fans.”

But that could be just me. What do you guys think?

Anyway. Check in tomorrow to have a look at my childhood. I think it’ll be fun.

10 comments to “Check them out”

1. Amy Ashley
    · March 1st, 2011 at 2:25 pm · Link

Fab links! I am dying over the ladygeek stuff, of course. There needs to be a huge chain store, and it needs to be less than five miles from my house.

Killer books out this month, I wish I required less sleep, less work–more time to read.

2. Eridani
    · March 1st, 2011 at 4:05 pm · Link

Yeah, I like reader mail. Fan doesn’t sound arrogant to me, but it sound like something from the 60s. Like it’s something Kasey Kasem should be reading on American Top 40 half a century ago.

Also, my Kindle runneth over with all these great new releases! What a wonderful problem to have.

3. Tess
    · March 1st, 2011 at 4:06 pm · Link

I always love to hear what you blog! I <3 YA 😀

4. Chelsea / Vampire Book Club
    · March 1st, 2011 at 4:07 pm · Link

I’m about to go dive into Stellar Four, but first… report cards? You have my attention, lady. I will be back tomorrow.

Oh, I’m with you on ‘reader’ mail — just sounds better.

5. braak
    · March 1st, 2011 at 4:45 pm · Link

I just call it the “Your Love Letters to Me Page.” I feel like no one can accuse me of being arrogant if I start by accusing them of not worshiping me enough.

6. Kris
    · March 1st, 2011 at 5:04 pm · Link

I would consider myself a “fan” of you (having gotten to chat with you a couple times :) ) and your books. But the word “fan” kinda makes me think of the stereotypical little screamy girl with like fifty things to have autographed and jumps around like a crazy person and cries when she meets her OMG IDOL!!! I mean, no offense, I think you’re seriously awesome, but no one gets to be put on a pedestal like that (in my world anyway). So yeah, I like “reader.” Makes me feel more on the same level as you. You are also a “reader,” you just happen to also write. :)

7. Marie
    · March 1st, 2011 at 6:11 pm · Link

As always, rambling ahead:

The discussion on fans vs readers made me think of a comment I made on one of your post a few months ago. (I have a feeling it might have been your birthday post, but I’m not sure.) I talked about how one of the reasons I love twitter, is that it can make the conversation between readers and writers easier and more direct than it used to be.

Of course whether it is or not, depends on a few things:

– If the writer uses Twitter regularly to actually bring readers into their life somewhat.
    – If the writer reads mentions and possibly replies to them.
    – If the writer uses Twitter to communicate with people.

How a writer tackles these things, I guess, often depends on how many followers/readers they have. For someone who maybe gets 10 mentions a day, it’s going to be easier to actually reply to people than for someone who gets hundreds of them.

The fact that most writers probably spend quite a bit of their day in front of the computer, maybe makes it easier to communicate that way. A lot of the actors I follow (or don’t follow because of it) either aren’t interested in the technology, or they just use twitter to once every month tweet meaningless stuff like the fact that they’re on their way to the gym. Writers, I get the feeling, actually use twitter to communicate with each other, not just their readers.

What I’m trying to say with this rambling about twitter lol, is that it, in some ways, clearly shows the difference between who has readers and who has fans. It can be a function of how many fans/readers you have, but to me it has a lot to do with the way the fans/readers communicate with their “idol”.

It feels like a lot of the actors in Hollywood live a life that is so different from our own, while many writers’ lives resemble our own.

Also, in part it can be easier for a writer to call their fans, readers, because there is actually a word for it. lol What should actors call their fans? Viewers? Moviegoers? TV watchers? It’s harder to find a good word. (An actor I follow, called her fans, frans, friends+fans.)

But I think you’re right that it might sound weird (for anyone) to call the contact e-mail, fan e-mail.
    (And all this talk about fans have made the word sound weird to me. lol In Swedish “fan” also means “shit” or “the devil”. Seriously.)

8. Lisa S.
    · March 1st, 2011 at 6:16 pm · Link

I downloaded Caitlin Kittredge’s book on my kindle and am anticipating a nice juicy read!
    I also just dove into Stellar Four and am really loving it.

I like “reader” better, but “fan” doesn’t bother me.

9. AJ Larrieu
    · March 1st, 2011 at 11:46 pm · Link

Hooray for ladygeeks! I just dropped by the Stellar Four. Looks like a lot of fun.

Also: “Fan” doesn’t bother me, either, but I like the fact that “reader” suggests an active engagement with the work an author produces.

10. Shiloh Walker
    · March 2nd, 2011 at 6:47 am · Link

My email contact is just listed as that…email. I don’t like the term ‘fan’ much.