What Stace had to say on Thursday, March 17th, 2011
Fun With Fingernails

Woo-hoo!

Oh, first. Some League members and I have gone in together on an auction to raise money for the people of Japan; specifically for the Red Cross. We’re doing an auction on Ebay of one proposal critique; that’s a synopsis and first however-many-pages; the limit is 6000 words between the two. Since we have so many members we’ve split up into two teams. I am TEAM FANG, which is of course the far superior team, comprising of ME, Mario Acevedo, Dakota Cassidy, JF Lewis, Nicole Peeler, KA Stewart, and Anton Strout.

Team Claw isn’t really worth your time or money, so never mind those losers.

SO. You should totally bid, if you’re one of those writer-type people, because every one of us will read your stuff and comment/crit it. That’s a buttload of feedback, y’all, including critique from ME, and all the proceeds go to tsunami/earthquake relief, and that’s one worthy-ass cause.

Here’s the link again: GO TEAM FANG!!

(Big props to my wonderful friend Richelle Mead, who came up with the idea, and Carolyn Crane, who set it all up, even though she is team Claw and so not at all worth your time, and who is my little Salieri.

Seriously, guys, as of my writing this Team Claw is ahead. We cannot let them win. Go bid.

A few weeks ago I bought some new nails polish, ad the response I got on Twitter was so enthusiastic I decided to blog about it. With pictures, no less! *nods knowingly*

I started growing my nails–I stopped biting them, rather–when I was seventeen. Before that I’d been an inveterate biter; I bit until my fingers bled. I’m also still very often a cuticle biter, which I wouldn’t mind stopping because the cuticles don’t flatter the nails, but whatever.

Anyway. So I’ve had long nails since I was seventeen. Somewhere I have a picture of my nails at eighteen or nineteen, and they’re gorgeous. Really long, really thick–I’m lucky, I have great, thick nails. (Is it just me, or could that first part of this sentence apply to something else? Just saying.) Anyway. People used to not believe me that they were real; I’ve had people actually try to rip them off my fingers.

I keep them shorter now, not because they get in the way when I type so much as that I like dark colors, and dark colors look less hooker-y on shorter nails. So they’re long, but short.

Last week I decided I wanted my fingernails to look like opals. How do you think I did?

They’re really much sparklier and prettier in person; that was the best I could do with the iphone camera. Here’s another shot of how they look when the light isn’t hitting them so much:

(I painted them white, then painted a blue-and-pink glitter polish over them, three coats.)

So here’s what I thought would be fun. I usually do my nails once a week or so, give or take. Sometimes I go two weeks, if they’re not chipping too much.

Here are my polishes in the basket I keep them in:

Here they are all lined up in rows:

(The glitter polish I used for the opal-nails is that tiny bottle in the front row.) You can see I have a lot of silvers, a lot of reds and dark reds, a lot of light blues–I had a bee in my bonnet this last summer about finding polish in a particular shade of light blue I used to have, so bought a ton of different ones looking for it (I finally did, yeah, at least I like it a lot)–and of course a few blacks.

I am making A Commitment. What commitment, you say? This commitment. I’m going to change my polish color every week, and blog the results. I’m thinking Tuesdays are the best day for that, since it’s a day I don’t often blog.

So. Every Tuesday I will have new polish here on the blog, and I will post pictures and stuff, and we can be all girly and talk about nail polish. Again, my Twitter followers seem to really enjoy the nail polish discussions, so I figured why not? And there’ll be plenty of stuff on the blog on other days to satisfy those who are not interested in fingernails.

Sound fun? At all? Anyone?

19 comments to “Fun With Fingernails”

1. midnightblooms
    · March 17th, 2011 at 8:39 am · Link

Those are gorgeous! I recently found a pretty silver with some glitter that gives it a metallic shine. So pretty!

2. Kris
    · March 17th, 2011 at 10:03 am · Link

I’m too lazy to paint my own nails most of the time but I wouldn’t mind reading about your experiments/adventures :)

3. Zerlina
    · March 17th, 2011 at 10:36 am · Link

Your nail polish tweets inspired me to take stock of my own nail polish collection and start doing my nails again :)

Just got some of those sally hanson nail polish strips that you stick on your nails and file off the excess. They have cool patterns and are supposedly easy to use we’ll see when I experiment with them over the weekend

4. Eridani
    · March 17th, 2011 at 11:01 am · Link

Oh, that’s lovely. I think the opal is perfect.

If you’re looking for some inspiration and have waaaay too much time on your hands, there’s a blog I read now and then with all sorts of crazy nail tomfoolery. It has directions for recreating the cool stuff she does, too.

5. Amy Ashley
    · March 17th, 2011 at 11:10 am · Link

LOL. Did mine baby doll pink with sparkles this week! We must be on a polish wavelength! I think I am changing them today, it is starting to chip. I’ll let the boys pick my next shade.

6. Carolyn Crane
    · March 17th, 2011 at 4:44 pm · Link

Oh, excuse me, Miss Mozart, Richelle came up with the idea to donate books to the Red Cross, but I came up with the idea of the critique teams. And, I put the teams together.

I worried that nobody would want to bid on the team you were on, so I worked really hard to put all the most famous and excellent writers with you, to balance you out, except for myself, of course, because well, we would counterbalance each other too much – I am like the shining sun of goodness, and you are the demon spawn of evil with your EVIL FREAK NAILS!!!

Team CLAW has better nails!!

6.1
      · March 17th, 2011 at 5:59 pm · Link

Oh, Carolyn. You poor little thing, bless your heart.

It’s okay, I promise. Even if you are a goody-two-shoes “shining sun,” some people in this world are prissy enough to enjoy that sort of thing. Honest.

• Carolyn Crane
        6.1.1
        · March 17th, 2011 at 7:39 pm · Link

LOL Go ahead and try to dazzle them with your sparkly nails. My awesomeness needs no glitter!!!!

7. Nachtangel
    · March 17th, 2011 at 4:55 pm · Link

I’m not a girly girl, but I must say I do love doing my nails, I went through a stage when I had them colour co-ordinate to super heroes, so I had blue/yellow/red/yellow/blue for Super man, Pink/green – Hulk, I even had one hand, yellow and red for IronMan and then the other Red&Silver for his colours in IronMan 2 XD
    So I will look forward to Tuesdays =D The sparkly opal colours are really pretty <3

8. Michelle
    · March 17th, 2011 at 5:53 pm · Link

I read a ton of beauty and nail blogs; I love them. I’m excited to read of your adventures in nail polish! Bring on the polish!

(ps: Your opal nails are lovely. There is no such thing as too much glitter!)

9. Karen
    · March 17th, 2011 at 7:38 pm · Link

Love that color!

I used to be totally into doing crazy things on my nails before my kid came along. One year I did Santa in his sleigh on my thumbs and reindeer on the rest of the fingers. (By myself & with the nail polish brush!)

I love all the new colors they have now! Every time I go to the drug store I come home with 3-4 new colors.

I saw someone with a french manicure with dark blue & pink tips — it was beautiful. I’m sporting dove gray nails today, but I was planning to switch to copper tomorrow, which is just the most gorgeous color I’ve ever seen. But then I was thinking I have a turquoise, so maybe I’ll do a french manicure with that & the copper…I’m thinking if done right, it might look a little steampunk.

(I live in a house of all males. They freak out & bitch at the smell of the chemicals so discussing nails is like a little slice of heaven.)

10. Cheryl
    · March 17th, 2011 at 11:02 pm · Link

Why, oh why, couldn’t my wip be finished by now? Such is my life. Hope you’re able to raise lots of money, though.

I’m a chronic cuticle biter, too. It usually results in bleeding cuticles. Not so attractive so I tend to do my nails often just to try to counter the effects of ugly cuticles.

11. Stephanie D.
    · March 18th, 2011 at 9:09 am · Link

I love both ideas! The nail idea is my fav! My daughter use to be a nail biter and since she quit we let her paint her nails! She is 13 now and hasn’t gone with out polish on her nails for more than a day! She gets upset with me because I refuse to paint my toe/finger nails in the winter and has even painted them for me because it bothers her! Looking forward to the blogs! I sincerely hope you raise lots on money !!!!!

12. Linzi
    · March 18th, 2011 at 12:19 pm · Link

Love the polish is the sparkly over-polish a special FX one? It looks one of theirs that I had and now can’t buy anywhere :-(

12.1
      · March 18th, 2011 at 12:33 pm · Link

Thanks! No, I got it at Sally Beauty Supply, it was in their sale bucket. It’s one of their house brand polishes, the “Sally Girl” line. A mini bottle.

I just looked for it on the Sally website but it’s not on there, so I guess you’d need to check in stores, sorry.

• Linzi
        12.1.1
        · March 18th, 2011 at 12:55 pm · Link

No problem – thanks for letting me know …. the quest for the perfect polishes continues 😉

13. Layla Messner
    · March 18th, 2011 at 12:58 pm · Link

Fingernail day. Love it

14. Lisa S.
    · March 19th, 2011 at 8:46 pm · Link

Ooooo can’t keep polish on my fingernails. DH and I own a sign shop and I work with my hands all the time. Polish doesn’t stand a chance.
    I do however keep my tootsies polished. Right now I’m wearing Essie “Sand Tropez” a light neutral beige, which is kinda abnormal for me. I’m usually into grey (corpse toes!) or dark green or greige or something along those lines.

15. Betsy Dornbusch
    · March 20th, 2011 at 5:58 pm · Link

This cracks me up because I just painted my nails green for St Pats and of all colors, they are like baked on enamel on my fingers, still so perfect since last Wednesday I can’t bear to part with them. And yeah, I have pix already and was going to post them on the blog.

Great minds, eh?

I like painting my nails and having them painted, but I often do black so when they chip they look awful. Except it reminds me of my older punk days when I could have given a shit about how my nails looked… Black is my fave color on nails.

1. Get Your Manuscript Critiqued By Stacia – Help Japan « The Church of Real Truth