What Stace had to say on Friday, March 18th, 2011
Gettin’ My Sexy German On

My Sexy German is named Gunter. Ha! No. I do not have a sexy German. What I do have, though, is a box full of copies of GEISTERFLUT, and this book is awesome. Seriously, check out how fucking cool this is:

Look, her eye tattoo thingie is shiny!

It's one of those cool fold-over-flap covers! So exciting!

The inside cover. Tell me that is not AWESOME. Can you see the train tunnel? It's to the right & slightly up from my thumb.

Okay. Now for the fun part(s). As I’m sure every other writer in the world does, the first thing I do when I get the foreign-language editions of my books is run to Google Translate and hunt up a sex scene to run through it. Whee! Yes. I am totally mature.

Now. Let me make something clear, here. I don’t speak German. I know they have different rules of grammar. I am absolutely certain that the translator who handled my books did an excellent job. I’m thrilled with the book. This is just for fun, okay? Not to make fun of anyone/any language/any nation/whatever. It’s actually to poke a little fun at Google Translate, really, but even that is pretty good as a tool.

So. Here is the line as it appeared in UNHOLY GHOSTS:

Breathing didn’t matter. Nothing mattered, because he was speeding up, slamming into her with a single-minded force she understood and shared. His left hand shifted; he slipped his thumb down to caress her most sensitive spot…

Here it is–well, as well as my US keyboard can render it–in GEISTERFLUT:

Luft zu kriegen spielte keine Rolle mehr, ja, alles andere war jetzt egal, denn er beschleunigte seine Stobe, rammte sie mit einer Entschlossenheit und Kraft, die sie sehr zu schatzen wusste, und liebkoste dabei mit dem Daumen ihre allerempfindlichste Stelle.

And here…well, here is what Google Translate tells me the passage means (because of my US keyboard it’s missed a couple of words, sigh):

Air get to play no role, yes, everything else was now care because he quickened his Stobe, ram them with a determination and strength that they knew how to appreciate very much, and caressed it with her ??thumb allerempfindlichste place.

And the next bit. From UG:

…and she rocked toward him, matching his rhythm, driving herself and letting herself be driven to another mind-shattering climax.

GEISTERFLUT:

Ihr Körper nahm seinen Rhythmus auf und lieb sich zu einem weiteren bombastischen Orgasmus treiben.

Google Translate says:

Her body began its rhythm and love drive to another bombastic climax.

Shall we try some fun at Trickster’s?

From UG:

His arm bulged beneath her palm as she slid it down, finally wedging it into the miniscule space between them so she could feel the ridge of his erection hot through his jeans.

GEISTERFLUT:

Seine Arme wölbten sich prall, als sie mit der Handfläche daran hinabfuhr. Dann schob sie die Hand zwischen sie beide, sodass sie seine Erektion durch seine Jeans hindurch spuren konnte.

Google Translate:

His arms bulged bulging as if with the palm down it went. Then she put her hand between both of them, so they were able to trace his erection through his jeans round.

UG:

Nothing came out because her back was slammed against the wall and her arms were wrapped around his neck and his lips were on hers, ruthless and tender and demanding all at once, and now she really was flying, up toward the ceiling, out of the building.

GEISTERFLUT:

Es kam nichts, weil sie mit dem Rucken gegen die Wand knallte und die Arme um seinen Hals schlang und er die Lippen auf ihre presste, leidenschaftlich und zartlich und fordernd. Und jetzt schwebte sie tatsachlich, zur Decke hinauf und zum Gebaude hinaus.

GT:

There was nothing because she banged his back against the wall and threw her arms around his neck and he pressed his lips to her, and tenderly passionate and demanding. And now they floated in fact, up to the ceiling and the building addition.

Oh, and Lex calls Chess “Tulpi,” which I think is quite cute.

So. I’m around the halfway point in the 5th Downside book and things are going pretty crazy (in the story, I mean; there’s all kinds of madness going on, whee!). I’m toying with the idea of doing metrics again; I haven’t done them since I wrote UG, actually, but they were kind of fun and did motivate me. So maybe I should. I’ll decide on that in the next few days.

Meanwhile, here’s a very little short snippet-y bit from Downside Five:

The stitches gave way under the knife with one quick stroke; the lips of the wound gaped open. Evil flew out of it and into the air like a mushroom cloud, stinking of decay and something else, something she couldn’t quite identify.

Chess and Bump both leaned over to look inside. It was bigger than she’d expected, sort of empty, and then—oh, gross.

“Ain’t seen me no innards in a some fuckin years, dig, but ain’t recall no fuckin black shit in there,” Bump said.

“What? Where’s that?”

He pointed.

Ugh. Time for the gloves.

16 comments to “Gettin’ My Sexy German On”

1. Layla Messner
    · March 18th, 2011 at 12:56 pm · Link

Love the cover!

2. Tina
    · March 18th, 2011 at 12:57 pm · Link

Thanks for the snippet from 5. Makes me all the more ready for #4! I loved the translations. Made my cubicle neighbors do the prairie dog bit when I started laughing like a loon. I especially liked the last part as I imagined them (in fact) flying through the bathroom ceiling!

3. Linzi
    · March 18th, 2011 at 12:58 pm · Link

Congrats on the German publication :is proud for you:
    ROLMAO at the translations

4. Geekamicus
    · March 18th, 2011 at 2:55 pm · Link

The German actually looked pretty good. The translation from Google was horrid. Google must translate word for word and not phrase for phrase. German has all those nasty separable prefixes and verbs at the end of the phrase things and their translator apparently puts them all in a bag and pulls them out in random order. I was especially fond of the “bombastic orgasm” (sounds loud). Of course now I really want to go get a copy in both languages and compare — great learning tool.

5. Sarah
    · March 18th, 2011 at 3:42 pm · Link

Gorgeous cover! It’s really interesting to see the original line, the German, and then what Google translator does with translating. Really funny! =)

I like playing around with Google translate too since my husband is from Finland, and I’m learning Finnish. Sometimes he just shakes his head at what it spits out.

6. Madelynne Ellis
    · March 18th, 2011 at 6:21 pm · Link

I totally do the German translation thing for my books.

Congrats on the translations and the lovely cover. Intriguing snippet from book 5 too.

7. Tess
    · March 18th, 2011 at 8:41 pm · Link

Ha, the translation was soo off! Haha, I was laughing soo much! 😆 Can’t wait to read the 5th! Will we ever get a snippet of the 4th? :mrgreen:

8. Sabrina
    · March 19th, 2011 at 5:57 am · Link

Google translator is horrible. 😆

The German translation is actually pretty good and I like the new cover.
    I got the German version for my mom and it will be interesting to see what she thinks about it.

· March 19th, 2011 at 7:18 am · Link

The translation had to have been a monumental task, but the cover is incredible.

10. siebendach
    · March 19th, 2011 at 7:01 pm · Link

WHAT? You do not have a sexy German?

Everybody should have one. . . at least one. Trust me.

11. Lisa S.
    · March 19th, 2011 at 8:37 pm · Link

Gah! The dog is looking at me funny, with all the choked and sputtering laughing sounds that are coming from me. Google translations are the best, aren’t’ they?

And soooo good, yet soooo bad when you tease us with little snippets of what we can’t have yet. And make no mistake Ms. Kane, you are a tease…… ;0)

12. Stacey May
    · March 20th, 2011 at 4:43 am · Link

Ha!” Bombastic Climax” is now my new favourite word! lol

13. Tracy
    · March 21st, 2011 at 8:22 am · Link

Bahahaha, that was fun for a Monday morning! Thanks for sharing!! And that little snip from Downside Five is exactly why I religiously check your blog! Thanks!

14. Gerda
    · March 29th, 2011 at 9:41 am · Link

German translation is certainly better than google one, but the cover is seriously tacky!

15. Carabini
    · March 29th, 2011 at 2:40 pm · Link

You have the option of translating in either direction and you can mark frequently used translations with a Star to get to them quickly. Best of all Google Translate can even speak the translation so that you can hold up your iPhone to the person youre trying to communicate with so that they can actually hear what youre trying to say… .While a Star Trek like universal translator is still a ways off I commend Google for getting as far as they have with the technology.

16. Wupperelfe
    · October 11th, 2012 at 12:07 am · Link

I read some parts of GEISTERFLUT in a bookstore some days ago (guess which parts … yes, Ma’am, the “smut” is always first to be compared ;-P) and, like most of the time, I didn’t like it. I cannot even explain why, it just doesn’t sound right … the Downside Slang isn’t cool if translated into German (I guess Jochen Schwarzer tried too hard in his attempt to get it all “correct”), the sex scenes seriously suck in a negative way (even without doing the translate-reTranslate game) and Chess’ forced withdrawal lacks the intensity the original has (whenever I read it, I start to cry from my own memories concerning a similar situation – maybe Jochen couldn’t relate to the process as it is or he tried too hard, again). GEISTERFLUT made it clear to me that nothing is like the (English) original …. with a cute cover instead of “attention, for EMOs and GOTHs only” which LYX apparently deemed necessary; the Cover-Chess is much too morose while the English Ballantine Books’ Chess is oldskool and, therefore, very sweet and apropos.

1. New Quote From Downside 5 + A Peek At Geisterflut « The Church of Real Truth