What Stace had to say on Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011
Fingernail Tuesday

Oh, dear. This week’s Fingernail Tuesday is not good, I’m afraid.

Well, first of all. It kinda broke my heart to remove last week’s pretty opal-y sparkly polish. They were just so gorgeous! Really, even sparklier and prettier in person.

But, I made a Commitment. And when you make a Commitment, it’s a Commitment, and you don’t break a Commitment because then it’s not a Commitment. Right?

The polish itself echoed my reluctance. I have never had such a hard time getting polish off my nails. Literally. I scrubbed at them with a remover-soaked cotton ball forever. It took half an hour just to get my left thumb clean. I finally resorted to sticking my fingers into the remover bottle and soaking them in it for a minute or so, and then going at them with the wet cotton ball. And it still took ages. I think it was almost two hours before I finally had all the polish removed. Of course that might have been partly because I’d done three or four coats of the sparkle polish, and about that many of topcoat after.

Anyway. So it started out kind of rough.

I didn’t know what color to do next; I think I’m going to start running a poll. Maybe on the Tuesday posts, or on Friday? Anyway. I’d planned to do this really pretty matte pale-jade green, but instead, on a whim, grabbed this one:

I bought it at Sally’s, in the clearance tower. Again, on a whim. The color kind of intrigued me; is it yellow? Is it green? It looked like a really 50’s-type color, very Rat-Pack-in-Vegas, if you know what I mean. Which is very cool. Plus I don’t have any yellow polishes. Actually, I have very few light polishes, and the ones I do have are pearly-type or white.

So I decided to give it a try.

It goes on beautifully, really smooth, and not too clear. I hate those polishes that are so watery and need like a dozen coats to make a solid color, don’t you?

So the polish itself is really nice. And I’ve done some cooking, done some dishes, showered, all that, and no chips.

But the color…I just don’t like it. Nope. It’s actually prettier in the pictures than in person. It looks like more of a pale pure yellow below, but in person it has a sort of burnished greenish tinge to it that just doesn’t appeal to me much.

If I liked the color, it would be gorgeous. It’s very shiny. But I just don’t like it.

So I’m debating trying to add a glitter polish over it to make it look a little nicer. I don’t want to remove the polish–it’s only Tuesday–but I’m really not crazy about it.

If I do put another topcoat on, I’ll update this post.

Got any stories of the polish you regretted buying?

15 comments to “Fingernail Tuesday”

1. B
    · March 22nd, 2011 at 12:31 pm · Link

Ohhhhhh noooooooo! Don’t put a glitter layer over it, you’ll never get it off. Glittery nail polish is the most difficult to get off, even the light colors. Which is why these days I own very little of it.

I mostly buy really expensive nail polish in nice colors. But I have this sad, pastel yellow I bought that I kinda regret. I bought it because I wanted bright colors. It ended up being really meh.

2. Tami
    · March 22nd, 2011 at 12:37 pm · Link

When in doubt, add sparkles.

But *glances at B’s comment* maaaaaybe just one one very small nail first, for ease of removal due to acute sparkle regret.

If you had a similar brown or orange color, you could argyle up those suckers. Your nails are long and pretty enough to give a pretty decent canvas.

And argyle nails would be hilarious and awesome. Awelarious. Hilawesome. Something like that.

3. Allie
    · March 22nd, 2011 at 2:41 pm · Link

“Got any stories of the polish you regretted buying?”

I still have a ridiculously expensive bottle of Chanel’s ‘Rouge Noir’ that I bought circa Pulp Fiction. I wore it once and realised 3 things:
    1) I have ugly cuticles (a fact I had been blissfully unaware of until that point)
    2) Dark colours make my hands look old
    3)I do NOT have a steady hand…

4. K.A. Stewart
    · March 22nd, 2011 at 4:10 pm · Link

I’ve got one that looks like a really intriguing black polish w/brown glitter in the bottle. But on the nails, the brown glitter gets lost, and you just end up with black nails. Rather disappointing.

5. Carrie
    · March 22nd, 2011 at 7:25 pm · Link

I hardly ever paint my nails (the last time was my sister’s wedding a year and a half ago). I’m such a spaz they always end up looking like crap. And I hate getting them done in a salon cause I always end up bleeding at least once!

The only bad-nail-polish-buying story I have wasn’t because of color, it was just really crappy nail polish, one of those color kits that come with a bajillion different shades? All of it clumped up in less than a month. ):

6. Tami
    · March 22nd, 2011 at 8:08 pm · Link

Everyone talking about the spaz-tastic nail painting stories reminds me of…well, myself.

I stay away from colors – I’m TERRIBLE about chipping and picking and peeling and don’t even get me STARTED on splishing and splashing color on my skin.

I use a “manicure in a bottle” that’s a clear coat. I get the smoothing, the strengthening, and (most importantly), a lovely subtle shine.

My toes get a pale, shimmery pink.

Everything else, no matter how glorious the siren song as I walk past the rainbow bottles, I staunchly ignore.

• Carrie
      6.1
      · March 23rd, 2011 at 10:56 am · Link

@Tami: I get nail polish all over the place when I try to paint my nails. I too stick to clear-coat-and-call-it-a-day. My toe nails, on the other hand…foot, get painted all kinds of color. Currently, they are hooker red.

• Tami
        6.1.1
        · March 23rd, 2011 at 11:00 am · Link

Ha! I love it! I’m rarely more adventurous than the pale pink (even if I’m sloppy there, it’s hard to tell and HONESTLY why is anyone looking that closely at my feet?!)

Do love the clear coat on my fingernails, though, and am tickled to meet someone else who does the same! *high five*

7. Carolyn Crane
    · March 22nd, 2011 at 8:23 pm · Link

You have me addicted to your insane fingernail Tuesday now. I liek the gold. But, that’s from the pics. You are inspiring me….

8. Lisa S.
    · March 22nd, 2011 at 8:44 pm · Link

Argggg! Glitter nail polish is the worst to take off! I have some OPI Alice in Wonderland polish from last year and it’s beautiful, but I don’t wear it much ’cause of the removal factor.

9. Goobs
    · March 23rd, 2011 at 8:07 am · Link

Last year I went on a nail polish binge. I bought all kinds of it. I found this really cheery, yet pastel-y yellow that I thought would really round out my collection. What it did was make my nails look sick. I had to remove it because everytime I caught a glimpse of my feet, it scared me. So no yellow!

10. Elishia
    · March 23rd, 2011 at 12:33 pm · Link

my boyfriend’s mom owns a nail salon, so she always has fun and cute colors to play with, plus she lets me know what is “in”.

Last week she said the ” cracked” look is back. Yup. Remember that 90’s trend where you paint your nails one color and then add a crackling top coat. Well it’s back.

So I tried it out, and quickly remembered why i hated it! EKKK! who purposely wants their nails to look crackled?

11. elly
    · March 24th, 2011 at 4:22 am · Link

😉 i loved reading this i found your name through my amazon recommendations and had a look, what fun, at first i wondered what fingernail tuesday was/is but as i like quirky things i decided to have a look, loved all the nail colour stories i am an OPI girl myself and they rarely have anything that i dont like, although i am never going to be a fan of greige, i dont care how on trend it is it just makes my nails look sick, loved this website, i will be back for more

12. Calliope
    · March 24th, 2011 at 10:21 pm · Link

At the end of HANDS OF FLAME by C.E. Murphy (the last book in her Negotiator series), there’s this scene where the dragon has taken his daughter to show her his treasure horde and she takes to lolling on the side of this pool of liquid gold, dipping her talons in and coating them with the gold.

That is what that polish reminds me of.

13. Tami
    · March 25th, 2011 at 6:18 am · Link

Hilariously enough, one of my favorite blogs (Epbot) had a fingernail-painting post yesterday.

Newsprint nails. Which, one hopes, could translate into “I have my favorite passage from my book on my nails.”