What Stace had to say on Monday, March 28th, 2011
Pens! and stuff

A week or two ago now I was looking for white pens, so I could write on black paper. Pens with white ink, that is. A reader named Missy Ann recommended Jetpens to me, and I of course fell in love, and ordered several pens (the best part is, their prices are extremely reasonable). So for the past few days I’ve been using the Pilot Preppy and the Kuretake Zig, with blood red ink. And I started a Wish List, not so people could buy me things (please don’t) but to keep track. So if you’re an obsessive pen freak like me we can compare. We’ve had lots of pen discussion on Twitter the last few weeks.

As you can see, I am very into ink. I have a beautiful blue glass artisan pen, which I bought a few years ago and could not for the life of my figure out how to fill. I bought it at B&N, and bless the B&N booksellers, they’re wonderful, but they didn’t know how to do it either. I ended up finding the phone number for the manufacturer and calling them up. The woman on the phone was a bit perplexed, and originally told me they were just the makers and I’d have to talk to the retailers about returns etc. (she was nice about it, she wasn’t being a bitch or anything) but once I explained my problem–and we both sort of laughed–she told me that there are little holes at the top of the bulb part. You have to dip the pen into the ink so the little holes are covered, and the ink will pour into those holes, so you’ll have a little reservoir with which to write. So there you go. I don’t remember if I actually tried it or not; sadly the only things I really write by hand are notes etc. for work (I write on the living room couch, and it has leather arms; the one on my right is covered with Post-it notes).

But I still totally love pens, and paper, and really any sort of office supply or stationery or whatever.

And. I’ve just written a lovely little sex scene into the fifth Downside book, which makes me very happy. I’m behind on my word count at the moment, because the last week or so hasn’t been very good in general, but I’m hoping to make it up.

I’m also working on a little erotic romance story–well, more like erotica with romance, really–that I’m not sure what I’m going to do with. It’s very dark. Like, really really dark. I’m not sure how much people want something like that from me but I’m having a bit of fun with it anyway.

And of course we still have the New Project, a Megan novella, and another little Downside project that I’m not talking about but have high hopes for.

11 comments to “Pens! and stuff”

1. Maria Lima
    · March 28th, 2011 at 1:08 pm · Link

I think I hate you b/c now I have to buy some pens!!! ::is pen whore::

• Nellie B
      1.1
      · March 29th, 2011 at 5:30 am · Link

I love pens too. I collect them. I have a few glass fountain pens and silly pens and pretty pens…

*Follows the link* Dammit. 😉

2. Kay Britton
    · March 28th, 2011 at 1:25 pm · Link

OMG!!! I love JetPens. I’ve been a fan for like two years now and got all kinds of pens, pencils and cases to prove it. Heck at one point I was buying something every month.

3. Crystal
    · March 28th, 2011 at 1:52 pm · Link

A woman after my own heart! I loooove all things office supply. My favourite kinds of pens are Cross fountain pens – they’re just so elegant! I’m also obsessed with notebooks and journals. The Chapters/Indigo stores here in Canada have the most wonderful selection… *sigh*

That sounds like an interesting story! I wouldn’t mind reading it… And I have a friend, also a fan of yours, who I suspect wouldn’t mind reading it either. If we’re interested, I bet you lots of others will be, too! Good luck with all your WIPs!! :-)

4. T.M. Thomas
    · March 28th, 2011 at 2:58 pm · Link

I love pens. Cross and Parker, especially. I’m a ball point kind of guy.

5. Annette
    · March 28th, 2011 at 3:01 pm · Link

I <3 JetPens but really, all writing instruments! I also love the Downside series, so good to know more is in the works!

6. Carrie
    · March 28th, 2011 at 4:45 pm · Link

I’m obsessed with pens (I love going to the Asian stores like in China Town stuff for the gel pens)! I don’t let myself go into office supply stores very often because I will buy things I don’t really need but that I waaaaaant.

I’m not good at denying my obsessions, addictions, whatever. It’s why I never started smoking (despite my oral fixation issue), I’d never be able to stop. Well, then there is the whole asthma issue. I rather enjoy breathing…

All the Downsidey-goodness-to-come makes me happy. There’s visions of Sugarplums (Terribleplums?) dancing in my head.

7. Nanner B
    · March 28th, 2011 at 10:26 pm · Link

I would be excited to read dark (really dark) erotica! Please be sure to tell us if you ever do anything with it.

· March 29th, 2011 at 11:54 am · Link

I use Sharpies. Does that count. :)

9. Katie
    · March 29th, 2011 at 1:32 pm · Link

Oh Office Depot, how I love you *sighs* just walking down row after row of pens, markers and random office supplies flips all my switches. My hubs thinks it’s totally kinky and wonderful that I’m so easy. All our dates include a trip to Office Depot before we go home. Nice to know I’m not the only pen-slut out there.
    😉 Katie

10. Geekamicus
    · March 29th, 2011 at 8:25 pm · Link

I’m a fountain pen junkie. I could probably solve the economic crisis if I just sold them all. (Okay, maybe just MY economic crisis.) Once upon a time I had all sorts of hand blown pens from Venice, but one too many moves and they’re all nib-less now. 😥 The Jetpens site made me happy, thanks for sharing.