What Stace had to say on Monday, April 4th, 2011
Questions and all like that

1. I tried to approve a comment this morning that had ended up in my spam folder. It was a comment to my post about Elder Griffin and the commenter had a gay brother, I think? And was also an addict. Please, please re-leave your comment if you’re the one who left it; you and your comment are important to me, and I appreciated your words, and I honestly don’t know why it ended up in my spam folder to begin with but I feel awful about whatever dumb clutzy thing I did that made it disappear.

2. All this talk about short stories has me thinking. And there may be some stuff going on this summer as far as promotions etc. Certainly I have that story in HOME IMPROVEMENT: UNDEAD EDITION which frankly needs no promotion from me at all, given that the other authors in it are actually successful, but I’d like to do something for it and I’d certainly like to have some stuff to offer to piggyback from it a bit, if you know what I mean. I like my story in the antho pretty well–certainly I think it’s the best short I’ve written, but then you all know I’m not crazy about my short stories in general.

But that brings me to another question, actually. I’ve mentioned here that there’s a (very) dark erotica/erotic romance story I want to do. But I also have HOME, the Downside short which would have gone to the MMBO GHOST ROMANCE, (which made me realize earlier that I also have TRUST ME, my short from the MMBO VAMPIRE ROMANCE II, which is now essentially reverted to me–it was a non-exclusive contract after the first year). And I’d really, really like to get some more Downside stuff out there for you guys, and have been considering a few options.

So…

I thought there was a way to do a proper voting poll on WordPress here but I can’t find it. So I’ll just ask and you guys can leave our thoughts in comments or @ me on Twitter or whatever.

I’m having some thoughts re the following short/novella-type projects. Keep in mind that not only do I of course want to do something special for you guys but I’m hoping to do something that might be accessible to those who haven’t read the books, something that might entice them a bit and get the word out? I know there are people who think the series is very successful because of the great reviews it got last summer but really that’s not the case, so I’m working really hard on finding a way to reach a larger audience.

Here are some of the ideas I have in mind; I may actually end up doing all of them, but I’m really interested in what appeals to you:

1. An “origin”-type story for Chess from her Church training

2. UG/UM/CoG from Terrible’s POV

3. ” ” ” from Lex’s POV

4. Some shorter in-continuity stories; nothing you’d have to read to understand/follow later books (I hate that) but, you know, “Further Adventures”-type things (HOME is one of these already)

5. Origin-type stories for other characters (Bump, Terrible, Lex, Edsel, etc.)

What do you guys think?

Anything I don’t have there that you’d really like to see?

Let me know!

39 comments to “Questions and all like that”

1. Maura
    · April 4th, 2011 at 2:13 pm · Link

I’d love to hear some origin stories, or stories from various characters’ pre-book pasts. I don’t think we need alternate POVs of the existing stories as I think I have a pretty clear sense of where everybody’s coming from most of the time, but I still would like to hear more from and about some of the non-viewpoint characters. That might also be a little more accessible to anyone who isn’t already familiar with the series and wants to ease in a bit, as it’s fun to be able to say “oh, it’s So-and-So, I know him/her!” when it gets there.

2. Mona
    · April 4th, 2011 at 2:25 pm · Link

I think Origin-type stories for other characters would be really interesting. I know of a few other authors that have done stories like that, and I always find it very interesting to read more about characters that aren’t usually featured as much. And I think a story about the little personal demons in their own world would be really interesting. If you already have a story like that, let me know!

3. kathy
    · April 4th, 2011 at 2:27 pm · Link

Origin stories would be awesome – I’d love to read about Chess & Elder Griffin’s first meeting.

UM/CoG from Lex’s POV – I love Chess & Terrible together, but I’d also like to get inside Lex’s head and know how he felt about everything.

Edsel’s origin, or even a day in the life of Edsel (I bet he’s seen some crazy stuff).

Further adventure stories are always fun too.

4. Layla Messner
    · April 4th, 2011 at 2:37 pm · Link

Oh, these all sounds good, but in order of excitement, my faves are:
    – Chess’ origin story
    – In-continuity stories
    & – Terrible’s pov

5. Kandis
    · April 4th, 2011 at 2:39 pm · Link

Oooh! Would love origin stories, especially Chess’ church training. Terrible’s childhood seems like it would be seriously interesting as well.

6. Tess
    · April 4th, 2011 at 2:49 pm · Link

I would love to read no. 2; anything about Terrible would sure to be awesome. & I’ve always wanted to hear a story from his POV! 😀

7. Diana
    · April 4th, 2011 at 2:56 pm · Link

I think all of these story ideas are excellent, but in terms of marketing numbers 1 and 2 will probably be your best bet. 1 will show off your worldbuilding skills, while 2 will induce some measure of fangirly hype, both of which should bring in new readers.

8. Amanda
    · April 4th, 2011 at 3:03 pm · Link

All great – something from UG, UM or COG from Terrible’s POV appeals the most to me personally.

Will any possible shorts be under your publishers or can you self-publish on Amazon Kindle [free for you to do]? That way other people can easily find them and be introduced to the series.

9. Abigail [All Things Urban Fantasy]
    · April 4th, 2011 at 3:13 pm · Link

I would kill to read some Terrible POV, but as far as attracting new readers, I think a prequel story would be perfect. Maybe about when the world changed. I’m always fascinated to go back and see how things ‘broke’ in the first place.

10. KB/KT Grant
    · April 4th, 2011 at 3:30 pm · Link

I second, third and fourth Terrible’s POV!

11. Kris
    · April 4th, 2011 at 3:39 pm · Link

1, 2, 4, 5-Terrible! 😀

12. Jamie
    · April 4th, 2011 at 3:50 pm · Link

I would love to hear this story from Terrible’s PoV, and I would love an origin story of Chess or Terrible. I want to know everything about these two.

13. Gwen
    · April 4th, 2011 at 4:21 pm · Link

I would love anything to do with Terrible. I just can’t get enough of that guy! Origin stories are always interesting too. Pretty much anything you write is going to interest me I love the worlds you create.

14. Zerlina
    · April 4th, 2011 at 5:25 pm · Link

I love love love the idea of having some shorts and a novella set in this world. More stories about the back grounds of our favs some one off adventures are also fun. I found some great authors after reading their stuff in an anthology and I loved the story so much I’m hooked on their books. I dont think we need to retell established books from anyone else’s point of view.
    And I have to say the greatest invention for spreading your books via word of mouth has been my e-reader. Told several friends about your books but sadly I cant lend to them cause they have kindles or no e-readers so they went out and bought them so they can read them :)

14.1
      · April 4th, 2011 at 6:50 pm · Link

And Zerlina, thank you so, so much for the recommendations, seriously. It really matters. :-)

15. Jessica (Spinecracker)
    · April 4th, 2011 at 5:47 pm · Link

Terrible’s POV would be kinda amazing, no question. But I’m not sure if what you’re looking for is new interest, that this is going to capture that for you. But then again it very well could, since there are so very few male POV stories out there and Terrible is such a unique character!

Shamelessly, having said that, can you please please please do little snippets (even just a few choice scenes) from Terrible’s POV 😉

I think a prequel about Chess would be really intriguing. Maybe see how she became so pill dependent, or how she decided to go with the Church instead of going down the much easier road of complete debauchery. I know I’ve often wondered what really pushed her down that path. That would be a great hook if I was new to the series.

16. Michelle
    · April 4th, 2011 at 5:47 pm · Link

I really would like to see all five options since I seriously love the entire Downside universe and more stories taking place there cannot be a bad thing, ever.

17. Calliope
    · April 4th, 2011 at 6:38 pm · Link

I would kill to read some of Terrible’s POV. Heck, I’d love to read any of those options. Except the origin stories – I like how those are already being incorporated/hinted at with Chess’ POV in the main books.

PLEASE can we have some Terrible POV?? PLEASE??

18. Karen
    · April 4th, 2011 at 7:28 pm · Link

I think Terrible is such a unique character that something from his POV would be an interesting draw for new readers. (Of course, as a Terrible fan, I’m not partial at all…lol)

19. Stacey May
    · April 4th, 2011 at 11:55 pm · Link

Definatly love the idea of a Chess origin short or even a Terrible origin short- to get inside Downside “way of life” of a homesless child turned chief drug enforcer would be pritty cool

And I’ve always wondered how Terrible felt during UM- like wouldnt it be interesting to read a short from the bit on the rooftop to when he wakes up in the hospital- if I had not read the series and read that from his POV I would be dying to read COG just to see how everything pans out

Or even his POV from COG would be amazing- see how hes “rippin it up like him dog dead” lol – like I wonder if hes particulary even more “ruthless” of the folks of Downside – say if someone even looked at him the wrong way during this period of time would he just loose it??

or even Bumps how he become Lord of Downside would be a-MAZ-ing ! But then again I’ve always found the dynamics behind drug dealers/pimps and how they build their “empire” to be fasinating- and the rival between him and Slobag

-Stace-

20. Goobs
    · April 5th, 2011 at 6:30 am · Link

I would flip for even a PAGE written from Terrible’s POV. The idea has me biting my fist. My second pick is any origin-type stories.

· April 5th, 2011 at 6:46 am · Link

The Chess & Terrible origin stories are a great idea.

22. Carrie
    · April 5th, 2011 at 7:43 am · Link

I would totally be down for any of that, especially something from Terrible’s POV (to continue the broken record of ‘hell yeahs’ from everyone else). I think it would be really interesting to find out a little more about what goes on in that head of his. Or anywhere else for that matter lol

But I think something more about Edsel would be cool, too. His character is very interesting, to me at any rate, in a weird and creepy kind of way, which I totally love. <3

23. krupke
    · April 5th, 2011 at 7:49 am · Link

I love Chess/Terrible, but I lurve me some Lex too. So I’d love anything (origin story, love story, adventure) from his pov or involving Lex

24. Crystal
    · April 5th, 2011 at 8:51 am · Link

I’m going to cast my vote for… origin-type stories! I love nothing better than falling in love with a character and then being able to get to know them even better than I do from the novels by reading a short story that goes deeper into what they’ve been through before the novels started. :smile:

25. Midnightblooms
    · April 5th, 2011 at 9:16 am · Link

The “origin-type story for Chess sounds good, but we get a fairly good picture of her background in the books. I’d like to see some origin stories for other characters, particularly Terrible (yes, please!), Lex, et al.

Or maybe some stories about Terrible’s daughter or non-Downside dwellers?

26. Lesley
    · April 5th, 2011 at 1:53 pm · Link

As a Terrible fan I would love something, in fact anything from his point of view.

You mentioned a while back your books were going to be stocked in Asda in the UK, I haven’t seen them yet is it still happening? I plan to move your books to the most prominent positions in Asda’s bookshelves. No need to thank me!!

26.1
      · April 5th, 2011 at 2:37 pm · Link

Oh, thanks anyway, though! :) They’re not at all Asdas, no, just some of them; I’ve heard from a few who’ve seen them in their local stores and a few who don’t have ’em at theirs.

If you’re so inclined, you can ask the manager at your local store to get them in. But only if you’re so inclined (and I only mention it because you asked).

27. leah
    · April 5th, 2011 at 3:18 pm · Link

terrible’s pov!!!

28. Allie
    · April 5th, 2011 at 3:23 pm · Link

** pulls hair ** How to choose?????

My knee-jerk reaction is the Terrible POV ( I lurrrrve him), but I want you to attract new readers (so you can keep writing about Downside forever!) so I’m not 100% sure…Saying that, he must have been on such a rollercoaster from introducing Chess to his daughter to seeing her with Lex that it could be pretty awesome.

I’d also like to know if Lex could see what was growing between Chess and Terrible and what he felt about it – I think his POV could be very interesting too…

I would love an origins book, but I agree with the person who said you weave the background into the story with great skill as it is now and I’m not sure I would change that – it really, really works. This is JMO, but I hate feeling emotionally manipulated as a reader – it turns me off the story completely. The subtle hints and occasional revelations that we get now are perfect and leave me wanting more… but I don’t know if I would want it if I got it, if you know what I mean. If it aint broke…

I would love, love, LOVE a companion book with interesting facts about the Downside world and that would be my first choice – Chess’s personnel file, school reports, Terrible’s criminal record, character interviews, more of the quotes at the start of each chapter, etc… but that’s more for existing fans than new fans…

To be perfectly honest, the major obstacle I have faced trying to get people to read the series seems to be the titles. Once you have read the books, the titles are perfect and they fit, but trying to persuade someone who normally reads the Darkest/Kiss/Scent/Secrets/Embrace of Passion/Night/Temptation/Pleasure/Sensation (mix and match your own variation) to read a book that has a title with religious overtones and contains drug use is hard and so, so, so frustrating when you *know* that if they read it they would love it – with a story that blows anything else they have read in the genre out of the water and smokin’ hot sex scenes, with *gasp* real emotion behind them.

UF & Paranormal Romance make up 90% of my reading (and I read a LOT) but my reading increased exponentially when I got an e-reader – because I no longer had to deal with covers/titles that I wouldn’t be caught dead with. Sex sells – and it’s in the books – you just wouldn’t know it from the titles. I have the same problem trying to convince people to read Ilona Andrews. Once the embarassment factor is removed, people will buy the book they *know* has sex in it.

If you need to get your numbers up, then I vote for the safest option – a Terrible POV (including the roof scene, which incidentally is one of, if not THE best scene I have ever read) with Terrible’s bare chest on the cover showing his tattoos (I swear I am not being influenced by my Terrible Fever!) and a moody, slightly sexier title (if you can live with it). If you can just draw people in, they’ll get hooked by the stories and stay 😉

• Stacey May
      28.1
      · April 6th, 2011 at 3:56 am · Link

I think thats such an interesting point!! To wonder if Lex could see how Chess and Terrible were getting close, or how maybe if she acted different around him or talked of Terrible very highly in front of him or maybe talked about him heaps and didnt realise it but Lex did—oooo my mind wanders! there is so many possibilities with all of this- I think it just proves how amazing Stacia is as a storyteller! Its storytellers/writers like her that keep my imagination going (or as my family calls it “not paying attention and wondering off with the Fairies lol”

29. April
    · April 5th, 2011 at 3:27 pm · Link

I’m going to have to eighth/ninth/tenth wanting something from Terrible’s POV. In fact, anything Terrible-related would be awesome.

30. Sharon
    · April 5th, 2011 at 9:20 pm · Link

Origin stories I think would help to bring in new readers…and of course we all want something from Terrible’s POV. I will tell you I was never a short story fan – most of them don’t have time to develop the characters enough for me to like them, but I did find a couple of new authors that way.

Have to tell you how much I have enjoyed these books…since I got the first one at FeverCon – it was an eye opener and hooked me. I have shared them with friends…but only the first one…then they have to buy the rest! 😈 LOL

31. Amanda
    · April 6th, 2011 at 4:58 pm · Link

I would loooove Terrible’s POV but i would also agree with Abigial about wanting to hear a prequel to learn how everything fell apart.

• Kris
      31.1
      · April 6th, 2011 at 5:10 pm · Link

Oooo, I like this “how everything fell apart” idea!!

32. Riya
    · April 10th, 2011 at 2:54 am · Link

I would give my left kneecap (are you making a list of body parts people are willing to give up?) to have Terrible’s POV on anything. He could read out a shopping list and I’d hand over internal organs. So #2 is sort of where I’m heading.

33. Laney
    · April 10th, 2011 at 4:30 pm · Link

I would just die of happiness if I read No. 2/3

34. Ina
    · April 27th, 2011 at 3:41 pm · Link

An olivertwist on Chess’s Church training years would be great. I mean, every time she speaks about her past, you kinda wish Stacia Kane books had bottles of vodka attached to them. (A sure sign of a good story, that.) Plus, I’m sort of curious as to who came up with the name Cesaria. Any chance she’s a Borgia descendant? She does screw people over left and right)

Besides, it would be great to have a look at Chess’s world mid-break, in-between the Haunted Week and its totally fucked up present state.

Other than that, i’d love to get my hands on anything, except 2 and 3. As much as like Terrible (and I like him so very much, I probably need therapy), his POV of the first three books isn’t something I would particularly enjoy. The way I see it, we already know what he did and how he felt at any given moment, so what’s the point?

As for Lex – well, at this point, he’s more like a plot device than a character

• Angela
      34.1
      · June 27th, 2011 at 3:24 pm · Link

Anything Terrible related! I really would love to read his pov, even if it was only snippets.

Origins on Chess and Terrible would also be really good.