What Stace had to say on Tuesday, April 5th, 2011
Fingernail Tuesday

I didn’t actually end up doing a cool effect this week, because if all goes well I’ll be doing something really awesome next week. The nails are getting a wee long for dark colors at the moment, but this particular thing will require at least a little length, so…anyway, we’ll see. I’m excited.

This week we’ve done orange.

Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in “Sun Kissed,” to be exact.

It’s…okay. It’s a nice color. It looks cheerier in the bottle than on the fingers. And oddly enough, it went on a bit gloopy, too. Perhaps it’s too dry in the house?

So really, this is a bit of a stopgap for today. I like the orange–I actually quite like orange as a color–but it’s not really exciting me. (Although again, if all goes well next week will be awesome.)

I did have a thought, though, as I was putting together today’s post, about my workspace and the fact that there are a number of different hand lotions around at any given time. I’m kind of obsessive about hand lotion, so keep it everywhere. These are the ones near me as I work (the bag balm and Aquafor are only for pre-bed glove-wearing, admittedly):

The Carmex tube I bought just before Xmas, and it’s pretty much empty, so currently I’m mostly using the “Udderly Smooth,” and I like it pretty well. Of course, this doesn’t include the cocoa butter lotions next to the bathroom and kitchen sinks, the two small tubes of L’Occitane in my purse (one vanilla, one unscented), the lavender L’Occitane or the cocoa butter ointment or extra E45 tub next to the bed, or the lotion spray in the bathroom.

So, it’s sort of about nails, because it’s about hands. :) And there you go. And fingers crossed I have something really cool to show you next week.

8 comments to “Fingernail Tuesday”

1. Calliope
    · April 5th, 2011 at 1:20 pm · Link

Ugh. My hands are so scaly right now I feel like I’ve done a swap with a croc or something. I’m using Vaseline hand lotion, but I’m finding that it takes too long to set in, leaving my hands feeling kinda sticky in the meanwhile.

I’ve got to say that I’m not thrilled by the orange – it’s never been my favourite colour but seeing it on nails…there’s just something off about it I don’t like. Maybe if there was a bit of sparkle and glitter to it.

1.1
      · April 5th, 2011 at 2:16 pm · Link

Ah, yeah, that’s one of the things I’m not crazy about with Vaseline lotions; I’ve noticed that effect before.

My suggestion(s):

First add a tbsp or so of baking soda (bicarbonate) to thick suds next time you wash your hands (trust me). Wash well with that mixture, and rinse well. Your hands will immediately feel way smoother and softer, I promise. Bicarbonate is an excellent, gentle exfoliator and helps the skin’s pH balance, too. (You can do the bicarb every day if you want, but I’d go more like every few days, tapering off as you need it less.)

Follow with a good lotion. I like the E45 cream a LOT in the UK; it’s only a couple of pounds, if memory serves, and works really well and doesn’t feel greasy (plus it’s unscented so you can add your own fragrance, which I like doing). So I’d grab a tub of that. Use it every time you wash your hands. Try different lotions, too; some of them just don’t work that well, and some just don’t work for everyone, you know? But having exfoliated beforehand will mean whatever lotion you’re using absorbs better.

If you’re inclined or want to do a deep treatment/quick fix, do the baking soda handwash then use something like Bag Balm, or petroleum jelly, or Aquafor–something that calls itself an ointment rather than a lotion or cream–some diaper rash ointments would even work there, what’s the one that comes in the gray tub? Sudacreme? I use a cocoa butter ointment, too, because I’m a cocoa butter freak. Smear a thick layer of whatever ointment on your hands, then cover them with cotton gloves–or old white socks, which I’ve used many times in the past. (I do this weekly to my girls in the winter, btw.) Go to sleep like that, with your hands covered.

In the morning your hands may need to be wiped off with toilet roll or kitchen towel and then washed, but the difference will be quite noticeable; I’ve seen scaly dry skin get completely healed in a night from this.

Hope that helps!

2. Amy Ashley
    · April 5th, 2011 at 4:20 pm · Link

GRR on finding the right balance of hand lotion. I like L’Occitane, but the moisture doesn’t last long enough. The Gold Bond I’ve been using is like Aquaphor and takes forever to set in. Nothing is in the middle.

The orange polish I used a few weeks ago was PRRRfect! It’s still on sale At Sephora online, the OPI version of theirs. The name is Hi-Def. It’s one of my faves in that line because it lasted so long with no chipping. It was almost an exact match for traffic cones. Just a tad brighter.

3. Synde
    · April 5th, 2011 at 8:35 pm · Link

I love the L’Occitane lavender and also the Shea butter one.
    Have at work, in purse, and at home!

4. Michele Lee
    · April 5th, 2011 at 9:39 pm · Link

I always get a little dry in the winter, but this year working retail it was terrible! I ended up making sure to use a “strengthening” nail polish and carried a little bottle of Aveno with me. I like lotion but half the time forget to use it and it doesn’t help that different parts of me need different kinds. Like my face? Have to use a light lotion or nothing. Legs and arms? Normal works, except for the elbows hands and knees. I try to do nails once a week (even if it’s only to trim) and lotion up my hands (and nails!) then.

Of course it doesn’t help that DH “borrowed” the lotions on mine that he liked (the low/no scent ones) and I never saw them again :)

• Michele Lee
      4.1
      · April 5th, 2011 at 9:40 pm · Link

I meant to add, I love that Extreme wear stuff. I have a few that I bought during the liquidation because I was desperate. But it really works!! It takes a few days before it starts chipping (versus a few hours) and still looked decent after a week.

5. Tess
    · April 6th, 2011 at 12:54 am · Link

(Not on purpose) I did Fingernail Tuesday too! I used
    O.P.I NAIL LACQUER! Mine nails are BRIGHT pink and look great! :mrgreen:

6. A. Marina Fournier
    · April 7th, 2011 at 10:00 pm · Link

My favorite handcream is the only one I’ve found that actually leaves no residue, works very well on my hands and anywhere else I need intense relief from dry and cracked skin, and I found it at a garden center. Hands, from Awakening Skin Care, is far superior in moisturizing than Feet or Skin. You use a pearl-sized drop (okay, I use two pearls, thereabouts), rub it in, and no residue feeling for me, and only an initial flash of heat from either the spice oils used or the Dead Sea minerals. They seem to have expanded their product line while I wasn’t paying attention. I think I’m out of household Skin (as opposed to the bottles in my travel cases), so *sigh* I must order more!

I’ve used Neutrogena’s Norwegian Fisherman’s lotion, but never liked how it felt on anything other than cracked/dried skin, as well as Udderly Smooth & other cow balms, but they always made my hands feel ooky and overly warm (never used them in the winter to good effect, obviously).

Me, I can never do my own nails well, partly due to impatience and the rest to incompetence, and they seem to chip or smoosh all too easily after they’ve dried. Heck, this happens even when I get them done as part of a manicure.

I admire women who can adorn their nails well.