What Stace had to say on Tuesday, April 12th, 2011
Fingernail Tuesday

Oh, boy. Okay. This doesn’t look as cool as it would have if I hadn’t fucked it up a bit in doing it, but I’m still quite pleased with it, given that it’s the first time I’ve tried a trick like this.

My friend Kathryn Smith turned me on to Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics a bit ago (specifically their lip tars; I’ve been using Strutter and it’s an amazing red, although yeah it comes off on everything) but they had some interesting nail polishes too, so I decided to give something new a try, based on a link someone sent me on Twitter. That link has instructions, which I didn’t actually look at, so I did mine differently, which is why they don’t look as good, I imagine.

Here’s what I used for this week’s nails:

And here is how they turned out:

Like I said, I kinda fucked up in doing them, well, it took me a bit of fiddling to get it. That’s one coat of the OCC “Tar” polish–it’s a pretty good solid black though it did have a few spots of wash, if you know what I mean–and then at first I tried covering the tops and painting the dull topcoat on the nailbed. Which, eh. So for the right hand I went ahead and painted the whole nail with the dull topcoat and then the shiny on the tips:

Next time I think I’ll probably follow the directions on the link, although I need to get some of those guides she mention. I’ve never been a french manicure girl, really, so have no experience with doing them except for once when I had them done by a manicurist who did them all the time so didn’t use guides or whatever. So yeah, this was different for me.

And I need to trim them, too. I let them grow for this particular post (except the right hand ring finger which had a snag so I clipped it down) but they’re getting a bit longer than I like them these days.

I am going to be very scarce over the next few weeks; I’m going to try to post tomorrow to explain why, and what’s going on. It’s all good stuff it just means I’m extremely busy at the moment.

13 comments to “Fingernail Tuesday”

1. Allie
    · April 12th, 2011 at 5:30 pm · Link

Ooooh, I like the contrast of the dull and shiny!

2. Carrie
    · April 12th, 2011 at 8:09 pm · Link

I can’t paint a straight line on my nails if my life depended on it. I bought a nail polish pen thing that kind of looks like a thin tipped Sharpie. I need to see if I can draw a design with it without fucking it up lol

Hopefully, busy isn’t too stressful!

3. Stephanie D.
    · April 13th, 2011 at 10:42 am · Link

We (my daughter and I)do French Manicures all the time and this seems like a great idea! I think I will try it! It is really cute!!! Thanks!

4. Calliope
    · April 13th, 2011 at 12:36 pm · Link

I like the contrast of matte body and shiny tips – and I especially like that you used black. It’s something different.

5. Amy Ashley
    · April 13th, 2011 at 5:38 pm · Link

Awesome! I have two matte polishes from Sephora, one is grape and one IS black. I must, must get this Hard Candy stuff. That affect is so cool.

I love the contrast! What a great idea.

6. elly
    · April 15th, 2011 at 11:05 am · Link

❓ I can’t say that I liked this look in this colour, I have done something similar myself with OPI’s suede colours and a fantastic emerald green, called funnily enough ’emerald street’ by nails.inc, I have tried it in reverse as well with a shiny nail-bed and matte tips, do you get nails.inc colours in the US

7. Miss Bliss
    · April 15th, 2011 at 4:15 pm · Link

Love the nails. Just finished Unholy Magic. I already have City of Ghosts but I’m going to have take a little time to recover from Unholy Magic. That was some intense shit. Brilliant, great, exciting, entertaining…but really…intense. I gotta shake it off a little before I dive back into whatever is next with Chess…not to mention Terrible.

• Carrie
      7.1
      · April 17th, 2011 at 6:25 am · Link

I was way too impatient to wait. My eyes were still leaking when I started City of Ghosts lol

• Miss Bliss
        7.1.1
        · April 17th, 2011 at 1:28 pm · Link

OK…I totally FAILED at waiting. I’ve started it and I can’t stop myself from trying to rewrite the scenes in my head so things will be better between Chess and Terrible.

• Carrie
        7.1.2
        · April 18th, 2011 at 1:04 pm · Link

I have zero patience. And, oh, I wanted to punch her in the face. I still like Chess, don’t get me wrong. But I wanted to punch her in the face for hurting him like she did lol.

• Miss Bliss
        7.1.3
        · April 19th, 2011 at 9:12 am · Link

LOL…oh yeah! Honestly having done some monumentally stupid crap in my life and living long enough to get a couple things figured out I kept thinking “oh don’t say that, don’t say that, don’t say…DAMN IT! Now it’s all gonna go to shit” and sure enough…LOL. Also…can I just say how much I LOVE Stacia’s use of the word “chatter”. I am so working that into my everyday speech now.

• Carrie
        7.1.4
        · April 19th, 2011 at 5:32 pm · Link

I catch myself saying “dig” sometimes and “you right?” It’s totally the same thing that happens when I read BDB. I have to bite my tongue before I say “What’s doing?” every five seconds LOL.

God, I yelled at her so much! “What are you doing!? Pull your head out of your ass!” I’ve done some dumb things, really dumb things, so I can over look a lot, but… damn. I know I really like a book when I start talking to it whilst reading.

8. E
    · April 15th, 2011 at 5:57 pm · Link

I’ve been waiting ever so patiently for the post about what’s new that was mentioned on finger nail Tuesday