What Stace had to say on Tuesday, July 5th, 2011
Less than a month!

I just realized that there’s less than a month to go until the (August 2nd) release of HOME IMPROVEMENT: UNDEAD EDITION, the latest Charlaine Harris/Toni L.P. Kelner-edited urban fantasy anthology, and the one featuring–ta da!–a brand new Downside story, called RICK THE BRAVE!

I’m very excited about the story (which is a little different, and hopefully you’ll all get as much of a kick out of reading it as I did writing it), and of course *very* excited about the anthology (already getting great reviews), which features much, much bigger-and-better-than-me writers like Charlaine and Toni, Patricia Briggs, Heather Graham, Melissa Marr…you know, people of whom readers in general have actually heard. I *may* go ahead and send a snippet of it out to the Downside Army later.

Speaking of which, there are over 500 members now! I know it’s not a patch on what other, way more successful writers have, but I’m proud of it. And I’m hoping to get some activity going on in there soon, as we gear up for the release of SACRIFICIAL MAGIC, among other things (she says mysteriously).

It’s a bit weird for me, though, the whole “street team” concept. We were discussing it on a forum I’m a member of the other day, and I thought, you know, it’s hard for me to ask or even suggest that the DA members do anything to promote the books; not to mention, what do I ask them to do? Granted, by signing up they indicated a willingness to do things, and granted, there’s no obligation to do things in order to be a member, but…I think especially given some of the issues that have been had online in the last few years with writers expecting readers to do things for them, it feels bizarre for me to ask for any sort of promo help or anything like that. But I’m trying to come up with something, because there are a few things coming along the pike that it would be great if word could be spread about (she says mysteriously again). So if anyone has any ideas, feel free to share. I have a few of my own, as well, so we’ll see.

Also…on a completely different subject…quite a few people yesterday saw my tweet mentioning that my father-in-law has died. I really, really appreciate the replies and the expressions of sympathy. It’s an odd situation, really, because without going into detail we’ve been estranged from the man for a few years now; my husband did get to speak to him back at Christmas, and we’d hoped the relationship could be rebuilt, but it wasn’t something the FIL was particularly interested in. He was often a difficult man to deal with, and a stubborn one, and he’d gotten involved with a person who would much prefer my husband and I not be around and did everything she could to make that happen. Sadly, it worked.

All of this is my roundabout way of saying we’d actually dealt with this loss several years ago, so while this is a shock, and a sad one, we’re okay. It’s another reminder, though, that life is short; too short to let petty differences get in the way of things. I know the hubs feels much better knowing that at Xmas he reached out and tried to mend things; it doesn’t make him feel less rejected, or less sad about how difficult their relationship always was, but it does mean he can take comfort in knowing that he was able to tell his dad he loved him that one last time, that he proved himself to be the bigger man by making the gesture.

So thanks to those of you who saw the tweet and said something, and to the few people who emailed me, and thanks to those of you who’ve read this little exercise in navel-gazing, but please don’t feel you need to leave a comment here or anything like that. Perhaps it’s presumptuous of me but I’m going to take your sympathy as a given (since you’re all such awesome people) and just issue a blanket thank-you, and don’t worry about commenting on it; not because I don’t care or don’t want to hear it but because I’d rather we discuss and think about more cheerful things, like new Downside stories and fun activities and being kind to people we love (and to those we don’t love, too, for that matter). How does that sound?

10 comments to “Less than a month!”

1. Marie
    · July 5th, 2011 at 9:10 am · Link

I just had to say what an amazing person you are. This post showed that in so many ways. Just that. <3

(Also, I don't know if I'll come up with anything, but I'll try to think of ideas for the DA. :-))

2. Stephanie Draven
    · July 5th, 2011 at 10:00 am · Link

Stacia you are one cool chick, and you obviously married someone just as wonderful.

3. Miss Bliss
    · July 5th, 2011 at 10:02 am · Link

Probably the safest position with the whole street team/volunteers thing is to throw it out there and have no expectations. If people step up then you know they are doing it only because they choose to do it and WANT to do it. I think it only gets F’d up when writers start to have expectations and then in turn get cranky when those expectations are not met. I know personally I support the artists that I like by purchasing their art and by spreading the word about them to others. I do that whether the artist asks me to or not. I do that whether the artist sends me any incentive or not. But the taking it a step further can be fun too…with some loose organizing to generate a larger buzz. Anyway…just some thoughts. Blessings to you and yours.

4. catie james
    · July 5th, 2011 at 3:37 pm · Link

Okay – happy thoughts right? A taste of Downside is less than a month away?! WHEEE!!! What a treat! I thought it I wouldn’t be getting another taste of that world until 2012, so OMG Stacia you’ve made my entire week with this news. Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

5. Karen
    · July 5th, 2011 at 7:58 pm · Link

I can tell what I do every time I go into a bookstore & its something everyone can do… I “adjust” the books. I turn your books face-out so that the front covers are visible. (They are beautiful, after all, so they ought to be displayed.) In Borders, I’ve been known to do a search on their computers and leave it on the page with your book info. (I can’t do it at B&N because they don’t allow patrons to touch them.) Its a small thing, but if it makes one person pick up and buy the book, its something.

😉

• Miss Bliss
      5.1
      · July 5th, 2011 at 9:48 pm · Link

I do the facing out thing too! AWESOME! 😀

6. Carrie
    · July 6th, 2011 at 6:20 am · Link

I whore out your books like a pimp (and that’s really meant to be way more flattering than it sounds). I lent a friend of mine a copy and I’ve pretty much told everyone I know on Goodreads that they’re missing out if they haven’t read it yet.

• Lesley
      6.1
      · July 6th, 2011 at 7:33 am · Link

Me too, I go on and on about how fab the series is on Goodreads to anyone willing to listen.

7. Rilla
    · August 12th, 2011 at 7:34 pm · Link

It’s a tough call. I often ask myself, if I had minions, what would I have them do for me? Would they be my embassadors or my henchpersons? Sadly, I am pretty sure I would make them hench for me. Book facing, telling your friends, accosting random strangers in the bookstore who appear to be waffling about their purchases, posting on FB about how much we love you. These are fun, simply ways to let your Downside flag fly.

• Rilla
      7.1
      · August 12th, 2011 at 7:35 pm · Link

Ambassadors. That was supposed to be ambassadors!