What Stace had to say on Thursday, August 11th, 2011
Birthday Time!

Yes, once again, it is my birthday, another year further into the depressing process of aging and another year closer to the inevitable end. Groan.

So once again, I’m going to try to cheer myself up a bit and take my mind off the curse of mortality. Or rather, I’m going to try to force you all to cheer me up and take my mind off of it.

This worked pretty well last year, so we’ll try it again. Here’s what I’d love you to do:

Delurk, if you lurk, and say hello!

Ask me a question. It can be about anything; me, any of my books, any of my characters, publishing, society (although please no religion or politics), whatever. You can ask anything you want, and I’ll answer it to the best of my ability.

Suggest something. Tell me what you’d like me to blog about in future. Tell me what you think about things, about anything at all. (The only caveat there is please don’t suggest possible plots for future books, because if you’ve thought of something similar to something I’ve already planned or written…yeah, that could be a problem later. You can, however, make basic comments/requests like “More sex!” Heh.)

Suggest books, for me and for my readers. Or movies you liked. Tell me (us) why.

Anything at all; anything you like. We had a good time with this last year, so here’s hoping we will again.

I will be watching the comments, though, in case any troll-type people are out there rubbing their nasty little hands together. I will delete those. Just FYI.

Have at it, folks! I’d love to hear from you!

66 comments to “Birthday Time!”

1. Wayne Kernochan
    · August 11th, 2011 at 8:23 am · Link

Happy birthday Stacia.

1.1
      · August 12th, 2011 at 8:34 pm · Link

Thanks Wayne!

2. Sherri
    · August 11th, 2011 at 8:24 am · Link

Happy Birthday, Stacia! No question — just a gush: Love the Downside Ghosts books and can’t wait to read more about Chess and Terrible!!

2.1
      · August 12th, 2011 at 8:35 pm · Link

Thank you Sherri! I hope you like the next book just as much!

3. Juliana Haygert
    · August 11th, 2011 at 8:41 am · Link

Happy B’day!!!!

3.1
      · August 12th, 2011 at 8:35 pm · Link

Thank you!

4. Jillian (Inky_Ash)
    · August 11th, 2011 at 8:53 am · Link

Happy Birthday!

Books – I’m interested in how Chess first got into pills. What was her first meeting with Bump like? Also how did her friendship with Edsel start?

Blog – Really whatever’s on your mind. How was the move to England? What’s it like on the other side of the pond? Do you prefer bagels or muffins? What flavor? (I kid with those last two. Unless like myself you suspect muffins of world domination machinations.)

• Sherri
      4.1
      · August 11th, 2011 at 8:59 am · Link

I think cupcakes are way ahead of muffins or bagels on that one, Jillian! πŸ˜€

4.2
      · August 11th, 2011 at 11:10 am · Link

Thanks! Lol, muffins may well be part of some evil plot. I’m not a huge fan of either, actually; I like them okay, I just rarely eat them (probably because I never eat breakfast). (Oh and I like plain bagels and pumpkin muffins.) I like cupcakes, yes, but I kind of prefer regular cake. The whole cupcake obsession confuses me; it’s just cake, you know? Yummy, but I don’t get the fascination. :-)

All those questions…well, I’m working on a novella right now that will answer them all, actually! A fun little project for Del Rey, that may end up packaged as “bonus content” with book 4 or 5, not sure which. So I don’t want to give too much away, but Chess really started with the pills as a child, when people would give them to her; it just sort of grew from there when she was old enough to buy her own. Her friendship with Edsel started when she started shopping at his booth, and her first meeting with Bump…well, I don’t have all the details yet. :)

• Rilla
        4.2.1
        · August 11th, 2011 at 2:09 pm · Link

Squee! I am already greedy for the new books, and if there is going to be bonus backstory? Forget it; I’ll never make it to March! I’d love to see Chess through Terrible’s eyes, maybe from when he first met her? That would make my decade! Whatever you write, it will be brilliant and addictive.

5. jenna
    · August 11th, 2011 at 8:58 am · Link

Many happy returns!

Would love more Terrible & Chess’s moments!!!
    And Lex!! 😈

5.1
      · August 11th, 2011 at 11:20 am · Link

Thanks Jenna! Oh, there are plenty more of those coming up! :)

6. Lauren
    · August 11th, 2011 at 8:58 am · Link

Happy birthday!!

How old is too old for a facial piercing?
    :smile:

6.1
      · August 11th, 2011 at 11:20 am · Link

You’re never too old for facial piercing. :)

7. diana grubbs
    · August 11th, 2011 at 8:59 am · Link

Happy Birthday!

Don’t get depressed-celebrate it! As we all know it is better then the alternative…;0)

I just turned fifty..it has been a great journey, I have had 5 kids, one who passed at age 5 in 1991. The others are healthy and great human beings. Hubby and I have been together for 33 years…will have been married for 30 this Jan. Woot! We have 100+ acres out in the boonies that is paid for. Life is good.
    For my 50th birthday my oldest son and Hubby bought me a 1993 Sportster! (triple woot!!!) We have been spending weekends traveling the back roads of Indiana and enjoying life.
    I have been fortunate and very blessed. I have been through enough of the terrible, horrible, hard side of life to really appreciate every day. If I could make one wish for everyone out there it would be for them to remember to stop and breathe-appreciate and say your thanks to TPTB. Enjoy every good moment that you have!

• diana grubbs
      7.1
      · August 11th, 2011 at 9:00 am · Link

And tell everyone you love how you feel….

7.2
      · August 11th, 2011 at 11:55 am · Link

Oh, thanks, Diana! Gives me hope. :) (And I am so sorry to hear of your loss; I can’t even imagine what that would be like.)

I want a Sportster!!

8. Amanda
    · August 11th, 2011 at 8:59 am · Link

Hmm… I’m brain-dead today and can’t think of any questions, so I’m just going to go ahead and wish you a happy birthday xx

The last book I read that I really enjoyed was Incubus by Carol Goodman. It’s the start of a new series and blends gothic romance, fantasy and mystery elements together.

Whilst I’m waiting for more Downside Ghosts, I’ve been a shameless hussy and enjoyed both Nicole Peeler’s Jane True series [the covers make it look like a YA series, but it’s definitely not] and Chloe Neill’s Chicagoland Vampires series. Ilona Andrews Kate Daniel series is still as good as ever too.

8.1
      · August 11th, 2011 at 11:56 am · Link

Thanks for the recs, Amanda! I’ve read a couple of those but not another couple, lol, so…

9. Amy H.
    · August 11th, 2011 at 9:04 am · Link

Happy, happy birthday!

I’ve read articles where you talk about how Triumph City is modeled on someplace – and you also mentioned there’s a big clue in Unholy Magic (I think). After multiple re-reads, I still feel like a campion moron. I can’t figure it out. Care to give me a non-birthday present and clue me in? I keep thinking I should be smarter than this – but it’s been driving me nuts.

No matter the answer to my stupidity – Have a great birthday! I hope it’s full of unexpected laughs and joy. Thanks for creating a great world I can’t wait to revisit!

9.1
      · August 11th, 2011 at 11:59 am · Link

Oh, Amy. You’re going to make me tell, aren’t you? Sigh.

I’d never actually intended for Triumph City’s previous name to be a secret; I assumed people would figure it out pretty quickly. But then people started asking, and it seemed like they were having fun trying to figure it out, so I put another couple of hints into the 4th and 5th books, so…

Do you *really* want to know? Because I said I’d answer all questions, so I will answer it, but…do you really want me to tell you? :)

• Amy H.
        9.1.1
        · August 11th, 2011 at 12:52 pm · Link

Honestly, I think it’s a relief that I’m not the only one that didn’t figure it out.

Let’s revisit after book 5!

Happy Birthday.

10. Pamk
    · August 11th, 2011 at 10:05 am · Link

Happy Birthday. I just turned 45 on Monday so I know where your coming from. I just consider that it’s better than the alternative and there is the cake. lol

10.1
      · August 11th, 2011 at 12:01 pm · Link

Oh, wow, Pam! Monday was my Princess’s 10th birthday! Happy belated! :)

And thanks! That’s true, it definitely does beat the alternative.

11. Melissa Pascarelli
    · August 11th, 2011 at 10:09 am · Link

I was wondering about your writing habits. Do you have a schedule, or a daily word count goal? What do you consider a good writing day?

And Happy Birthday!

11.1
      · August 11th, 2011 at 12:26 pm · Link

Ha, Melissa, these days I consider it a good writing day if I manage to get any words on the page. :)

Generally my goal is 2k words/day. Anything over that is a good day. :) I usually write at night, after everyone’s gone to bed, but I try to work during the day if I can.

12. linda
    · August 11th, 2011 at 10:37 am · Link

Delurking to say happy birthday! :)

12.1
      · August 11th, 2011 at 12:27 pm · Link

Thanks!

13. Monabookgirl
    · August 11th, 2011 at 10:42 am · Link

Happy birthday! You are in good company. Mine is in a few days, my sons is the day before me, and my partners is on the 25th. Also our anniversary is on the 20th. So I usually get left over cake and maybe a card. Oh, I forgot to mention my mother in law always comes rhe same week as my b day so she can spoil my son. I suppose I’m ok with that. Here’s a question, do you have any other book series in mind? Not that what you have now is bad or anything. Just wondering. And do you really have to buy a tellie permit in the UK? I only ever half believed that one. So I hope this helped to put a smile on your face! Happy Frabjoys Birthday! I’m sure your hubby will spoil you. He better, if he knows what’s food for him!

13.1
      · August 11th, 2011 at 4:52 pm · Link

Thank you!

I do have some other books in the works, yes. :) Hopefully I’ll be able to get to work on them soon.

And yes, you really do have to buy a TV license here. It’s illegal to watch TV without one, even if you’re watching streaming TV on your computer or something. (The TV licensing site is here: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/ .)

Thanks!

14. Barb Rude
    · August 11th, 2011 at 11:12 am · Link

Happy Birthday, Stacia.

*goes back to lurking*

15. Meg
    · August 11th, 2011 at 11:15 am · Link

First of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY! No matter the number birthdays are always cause for celebration!

I do have a question, I am going to be attending Dragon con this year and I wondered if you were going to be on any panels or doing any workshops. Not to be stalker-ish but I really want to make sure I attend anything you are a part of.

Thanks and have a great birthday!
    Meg

15.1
      · August 11th, 2011 at 4:53 pm · Link

Thanks Meg!

Unfortunately it looks like I may have to skip Dragoncon this year. I don’t know for sure yet, and I’m still hoping to get some good news in the next week or two, but…we’ll see. :(

16. Mel
    · August 11th, 2011 at 11:44 am · Link

Question: what is your favorite swear word? And not necessarily the one you use most, but the one that just shines a little brighter than the rest.

Request: not only more sex, but I really think Chessie is in desperate need of some three-way action πŸ˜‰

16.1
      · August 11th, 2011 at 4:54 pm · Link

Hmm. I like “motherfucker” a lot. I like “bastard” a lot, too. But I use all of them all the time, so…

Lol, uh, I think I can say with confidence that won’t happen, sorry. Who would you want to see in this three-way?

• Mel
        16.1.1
        · August 11th, 2011 at 6:35 pm · Link

aww, c’mon now… of course with terrible and sexy lexy! πŸ˜€
        i’m pretty sure there’d have to be a LOT of drugs pumped into terrible to get him to go along with it, though lol

17. Marie
    · August 11th, 2011 at 1:10 pm · Link

Happy Birthday!!! And huge congrats on hitting the NYT!

Your talk about “the curse of mortality” made me think of an old folk tale that was in one episode of The Storyteller, “The Soldier and Death”. (Btw, if you haven’t seen The Storyteller, you really, really should. I loved it when I was little, and now I have it on DVD. :D) Anyway, we always say that growing old is better than the alternative, but the alternative of living forever isn’t necessarily what you’d want either. πŸ˜‰

Ooh! Questions… One thing I’m actually really curious about (and I know people mentioned it as one of the things that they’d be interested in reading on the blog), is whether you’ve read any good books lately? I know you’ve had deadlines and moving and craziness, so I don’t know how much time you’ve had to read.

Also, I’m still really interested in the translation of books. LOL πŸ˜‰ I know several authors who’ve been requested to change things that have to do with characters and plots in order to get published in other countries. I’m guessing you haven’t? Did they change anything in the Polish or German translations?

Oh, and recommendations! I mentioned United States of Tara to you on Twitter. I’d like to recommend that show to everyone! It seems to be canceled now, sadly, but you can always watch the previous seasons. It’s one of my favorite shows right now. (And it has Princess Valhalla Hawkwind in it…;-))

• Marie
      17.1
      · August 11th, 2011 at 1:12 pm · Link

And, yeah… that wasn’t supposed to be one huge link… hahaha

• Mel
      17.2
      · August 11th, 2011 at 1:16 pm · Link

I can’t believe they cancelled Tara… those bastards!! Oh well, saves me money since the only reason I subscribed to Showtime was for Tara and Real L Word, so I guess I can start and end my subscription to match up with just one show now

• Marie
        17.2.1
        · August 11th, 2011 at 1:36 pm · Link

I know!! I’m really sad about that. :-( On the other hand, we’re so behind here in Sweden, that they haven’t even aired the last season yet, so I still have all those episodes left to watch.

18. Richard Mitchell
    · August 11th, 2011 at 1:12 pm · Link

hi
    Another de lurker coming out, love the no bullshit blogs, especially your writing on Amy Winehouse, how we stereotype people when we know really nothing about them. Made me think! Future blogs…god knows but Im 53 next month and life, I think it just gets better, we all have a date, each and everyone of us, but fuck it, enjoy it, Im still excited to see what tomorrow brings. Have a great birthday and did hubby need to bring a leaf blower to blow out all the candles?? :smile: x

19. Karen
    · August 11th, 2011 at 2:16 pm · Link

Happy Birthday Stacia! Hope this comes out….(its supposed to look like a cake…) πŸ˜€

0 0 0
    [] [] []
    _[]_[]_[]_
    [ ]
    [ ]
    [_______]

• Karen
      19.1
      · August 11th, 2011 at 2:16 pm · Link

hunh….that didn’t work *sigh* I tried.

20. Sarah Pearson
    · August 11th, 2011 at 2:38 pm · Link

Delurking to say hello and happy birthday :)

21. Megan S.
    · August 11th, 2011 at 2:53 pm · Link

Happy birthday, Stacia! If I were in the UK, I’d buy you a drink and give you Reese’s peanut butter cups.

Let’s see, what can I ask…

If I were to get a tattoo, what should I get?

22. Leah
    · August 11th, 2011 at 5:07 pm · Link

Happy birthday! Hope you get a chance to put your feet up and have a couple drinks.

Do you listen to music as you write? If so, what?

23. Gwen
    · August 11th, 2011 at 5:10 pm · Link

Don`t worry about mortality on your B-day, as they say stop borrowing trouble. I find keeping busy and enjoying the little things get`s me through a blah day. I love old cemeteries so a really good coffee and a walk through the cemetery with someone I love is always interesting. There is always one or two headstones that say something different like “ She loved flowers“ or“ He always had time for friends“. From the little interaction I have had with you it is obvious that you are a very special person so take time to celerate that!
    Now as far as you books go I`m crazy for Downside! I deffinitly have Terrible Fever!!! Anything you put out there would be wonderful, especially if it was from Terrible`s point of view. I would really love to see a Terrible T-shirt over at the market place that says “I Have Terrible Fever“ and then a picture of his car underneath. I would have to buy at least a couple of those! If you are looking for something new to read my other favorite authors are Kim Harrison, Ilona Andrews ,Lilith Saintcrow,Faith Hunter and DD Barant.Karen Moning`s Fever series was awsome as well.I hope your Birthday is full of many wonderful surprises!

24. Ace
    · August 11th, 2011 at 5:33 pm · Link

Happy Birthday!

Question: Do you karaoke? And if so, what’s your favorite song to karaoke?

25. Amanda
    · August 11th, 2011 at 10:37 pm · Link

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question: I recall you mentioning in a blog that you were working on a YA proposal. What’s up with that?

Blog: Anything on your mind, but I love when you do your writing blogs because I’m in the process of sumitting to agents and your experiences are priceless :)

Random: Let’s see, I wrote almost 6k words on Sunday on my WIP, I started reading Bloodlands by Christine Cody- I’m enjoying it so far. And, if you haven’t yet and you like zombies (who doesn’t!?) I recommend Married with Zombies by Jesse Peterson- the two sequels are AWESOME as well :)

26. Tamlyn
    · August 12th, 2011 at 4:01 am · Link

Happy Birthday!

I’ve delurked a couple of times… but it’s still too scary to do it too often πŸ˜‰

I’ll recommend a trilogy by an Australian author, Kylie Chan – White Tiger, Red Phoenix and Blue Dragon. I’ve heard some complaints that the protagonist is too perfect… but hey, she runs around beating up demons and teasing Chinese gods, so it works for me :) (The second trilogy has just been finished – I’d heard not so great reviews about it, so I never got around to reading the second book in it until recently… then I couldn’t put it down).

27. Zanthera
    · August 12th, 2011 at 6:05 am · Link

Happy Birthday!

Wish we had to have a TV license, an excuse to cut off crappy TV without hubby making a big fuss about missing his “adult cartoons” and alien documentaries.

28. Jennifer
    · August 12th, 2011 at 8:17 am · Link

Hi Stacia. I love the Megan Chase series so much! I re-read recently and loved it even more. When I finished I wanted to read it all over again and was so sad when it ended. Is there any hope for another book in the series?

29. Miss Bliss
    · August 12th, 2011 at 11:21 am · Link

A very happy belated birthday! Looking forward to all future stories. What’s your favorite meal, as in what food is ALWAYS what you want? Also…had the great good fortune to meet with Stacey Jay for coffee last week and yes we did discuss our mutual admiration for you. She of course has first hand personal experience and I am just a fan. She’s lovely. She misses you by the way. (oh crap I think I just turned into a Jewish Grandmother, “how come you never call?”) Hope your birthday is/was great!

30. Jan
    · August 12th, 2011 at 12:27 pm · Link

Just popping in to wish you a happy birthday. I read the Downside books last week, and I absolutely loved them. The language, the themes, the characters…

Kudos everywhere, because it’s been ages since I enjoyed a book so much, and kept on thinking and feeling slightly queasy about it.

May there be countless more years to come, so you can keep on writing more like this.

31. Eedamme
    · August 13th, 2011 at 2:50 am · Link

Happy belated birthday!

32. Seeley deBorn
    · August 13th, 2011 at 10:12 am · Link

Happy Barfday Dude!

Have you seen “Deadgirl”? I’d never seen so many imdb comments that included the words ‘disturbed’ and ‘disturbing’. One commenter said it’s the kind of movie you watch by yourself late at night and never tell anyone about. Perfect date movie, imo. πŸ˜‰

33. Chelsea / Vampire Book Club
    · August 13th, 2011 at 5:31 pm · Link

So, I was trying to come up with a better question than last year’s — when I managed to get you to tell us who would be better in bed: Lex or Terrible. LOL

But, really, not sure I can top that. Plus, I might have to send vodka in advance to ply a response from you. πŸ˜‰

Instead, I’m going reading suggestion: Karina Cooper’s Dark Mission series. It’s paranormal romance with freaking amazing (dark) world building. Her hero and heroine in BLOOD OF THE WICKED lie and use each other only to end up actually caring about one another. They are then forced to own up to everything and see if it’s salvageable. Oh, all the while hunting a cult of murderers, which may or may not include the heroine’s brother. Plus, sexy times. :)

34. Geekamicus
    · August 13th, 2011 at 9:07 pm · Link

Happy birthday and many more!

As I face my own birthday next week, here’s my take on the occasion: it’s not another day closer to death, it’s another day you’ve beaten it.

I love the blog and the candid and honest insights into the life of a published author. Thank you for not sugar coating and saying what needs to be said and trusting us to be mature enough to take it.

35. Kelly Maher
    · August 14th, 2011 at 9:53 pm · Link

Gah! I *suck*!! Happy belated birthday, Stacia!!! Um, Priest comes out on DVD on Tuesday? Decent story, gorgeous (in a dark, almost monochromatic way) visuals.

36. Jamie
    · August 15th, 2011 at 10:43 am · Link

Happy belated birthday, Stacia!

Sorry that I’m late to this party (I was out of town), but one thing I’d like to learn more about is Terrible’s past. What happened to him in his younger years? How did he meet up with Bump, and what did Bump do to secure his loyalty?

The best books I’ve read this summer that I would totally recommend to anyone are (in no particular order): Stacet Jay’s Dead on the Delta, Jenn Bennett’s Kindling the Moon and Meljean Brook’s The Iron Duke (although this one was released last Fall).

37. Kat
    · August 18th, 2011 at 7:00 pm · Link

Delurking to say happy belated. This makes you a Leo right? My best girlfriends are Leos. I’m a Pisces myself. I love how you just put yourself out there and say what you really think.

38. Kat
    · August 18th, 2011 at 7:02 pm · Link

Just wanted to add that I highly reccmmend Kim Harrison’s Hollows series.

• Kat
      38.1
      · August 18th, 2011 at 7:03 pm · Link

That’s recommend. 😳

• sarah
        38.1.1
        · August 23rd, 2011 at 12:11 pm · Link

Rachel Morgan is the bomb. She is my second favorite next to Chess and my third is Sookie stackhouse… All of them are absolutely amazing series and I read them all over and over again! Glad someone loves them like me… We rock! 😈 😈

39. Hayley
    · August 20th, 2011 at 2:15 pm · Link

Hey, I’ve just looked up that Stooges song and it is Ace, it really captures for me the whole feel of those books and how I see them. Stacia the books may be set in America but Triumph City has a real English feel to it. Great books can’t wait to get my hands on the next one.

40. Savannah J. Foley
    · August 29th, 2011 at 2:25 pm · Link

I lurk. But I also usually comment, so that’s not really lurking, is it?

1. Happy Birthday Stacia! « The Church of Real Truth