What Stace had to say on Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011
I’m on sale!

Whee!

A while ago I found out that the lovely people at Random House were planning to offer UNHOLY GHOSTS at a special promotional price. VERY exciting. I didn’t want to say anything about it because we hadn’t set on a specific date or anything, but now that’s it happening I can shout it from the rooftops (and if you all would help me do so, I’d be very grateful).

So, UNHOLY GHOSTS is now available for Kindle AND Nook–and I assume, any number of other ebook sales sites in North America (Random House only publishes me in Canada and the US, so the special price only applies to those territories)–for ONLY NINETY-NINE CENTS.

Yes, NINETY-NINE CENTS.

So if you haven’t read the book, now’s your chance. If you have a hard copy but just got an ereader and are converting your paper library to electronic, now’s your chance (wouldn’t it be cool if you could buy the paperback, and like for an extra buck or two the ebook would be bundled with it?).

If you’re still on the fence, you can download and read the first five chapters for free, just by clicking here: UNHOLY GHOSTS sample (1985).

But wait! There’s MORE!

UNHOLY MAGIC and CITY OF GHOSTS are both also on sale, for $4.99! That’s UNHOLY MAGIC–book 2 in the series–on Kindle and Nook, and CITY OF GHOSTS–Book 3–on Kindle and Nook.

Yes, that means you can download the entire series for eleven dollars.

I’m very excited about this!

In other news, I handed in my “final” version of HOME, the short Downside story I sold to Heroes and Heartbreakers, a couple of days ago (I had a couple of minor changes I wanted to make before it went to the editor there) AND–tah-dah!–handed in my “final” draft of Downside 5, CHASING MAGIC, to my editor at Del Rey. Of course, I know she’ll have edits for it, so the book isn’t “finished” yet, but still. It’s done, and the handed-in version ran 108,000 words. I figure after her edits it’ll be around 110 at least. So, shorter than SACRIFICIAL MAGIC, but long enough that I feel you guys are getting some value for money. And I’m still quite excited about this one; I think it’s pretty fast-paced and exciting, and there’s a whole bunch of twisty-turny stuff happening in Chess’s life, and of course I just really hope you’ll all enjoy it.

So. Go forth and read!

27 comments to “I’m on sale!”

1. Mel
    · August 23rd, 2011 at 10:15 am · Link

just checked and yep, you’re on sale at the sony ebook store, also…. you’re so cheap heeheehee :razz:

1.1
      · August 23rd, 2011 at 4:43 pm · Link

I am totally cheap, yes. Heh.

· August 23rd, 2011 at 12:26 pm · Link

That’s a great idea for Random House to do it. When readers take the plunge for the 99 cent Unholy Ghosts, you’ll have a whole new slew of readers for the series.

2.1
      · August 23rd, 2011 at 4:42 pm · Link

I sure hope so, Bernard! Thanks! :)

3. Alyssa
    · August 23rd, 2011 at 4:17 pm · Link

When is Heroes and Heartbreakers supposed to be released? I want to get it pre-ordered!

• Alyssa
      3.1
      · August 23rd, 2011 at 4:18 pm · Link

Or is that a publisher? Either way, I want to order HOME as soon as possible!

3.1.1
        · August 23rd, 2011 at 4:42 pm · Link

Oh, thanks, Alyssa! Heroes and Heartbreakers is a website run by Macmillan (Tor); it’s a really, really cool site for readers of fantasy, urban fantasy, and romance, and they publish original shorts on the site (as well as exclusive excerpts). It’s http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com/

I *believe* that if you’re a member you can read the story free on the site (once it’s released, which should be by the end of the year), and pay something like 99 cents to download your own copy; if you’re not a member you have to pay the 99 cents straightaway. Or maybe it’s on the website for an exclusive period and then will be for sale through all third-party eretailers. I apologize for being unsure.

But either way it’s worth registering; it’s a fantastic site, it really is, with tons of cool info and great discussions and great people and all of that. I really like the site–they’ve been really kind/enthusiastic about the Downside books there, too–and am really excited to be publishing with them.

As soon as I have an official release date I will of course let everyone know! I’m excited about it; it is actually a *romance* story, which was fun to write in that world since there are so rarely unambiguous happy endings, or happy endings without some sort of cloud over them. But HOME is fairly cloudless, or well, it’s as close to cloudless as these characters can get, I think. :)

4. L
    · August 23rd, 2011 at 11:26 pm · Link

Such a great idea but I am so sad! The 99 cents is not available for those of us who live in Oz. I know it is nothing to do with you, Stacia, and will contact Random House.

4.1
      · August 24th, 2011 at 6:21 am · Link

Oh, sorry, L! I should have clarified that. Random House only publishes me in North America (US & Canada); my publisher is Australia/Ireland/UK is HarperUK/HarperVoyager, and they’re not offering the promotion. By all means write to them, though, I’m sure they’ll be watching this deal with great interest!

Sorry, I’ve been trying to make sure I’m really clear about it but obviously I dropped the ball here, so I’m going to edit the entry to fix that. :)

• L
        4.1.1
        · August 25th, 2011 at 3:49 am · Link

Thanks Stacia – Random House referred me to Random House Australia, but I shall contact Harper Voyager. I am all for being the squeaky wheel! Don’t get me wrong though – your books are absolutely worth full price!!!! ;-)

5. Marie
    · August 24th, 2011 at 7:13 am · Link

This IS exciting! And I’m excited that you’re excited, and I hope it’ll bring amazing things for the books.

At the same time I’m with Pam; I’m still sad it isn’t a worldwide thing. I know this comes from the publisher, but I don’t know if it’s worth contacting them about it since I don’t know the reason it’s restricted.

So many of the people I’d want to tell about this offer, live in Sweden or Finland or the UK, or somewhere else it isn’t available. :-(

I did check Amazon, however, and it looks like the price has gone down in the ebook format! If I remember correctly, they used to cost around 12-13 bucks; now they’re less than 10, which isn’t that much with the weak dollar at the moment. (Paperback’s still cheaper, though.) ;-)

I’m still going to tell everyone I know about the books! But when I convince them to buy the books, it’s more likely to be the hardcopy editions. Just last Sunday I was telling a friend I ran in to on the bus how awesome your books are. She hadn’t heard of them, but sounded interested! But she won’t be able to take advantage of this drive.

• Marie
      5.1
      · August 24th, 2011 at 7:16 am · Link

I have no idea why I wrote “Pam”. Seriously. LOL

Of course I meant to say L!

6. Jill
    · August 24th, 2011 at 9:52 pm · Link

Hey,

So I just went to download Unholy Ghosts to my kindle and instead of it being 99 cents it’s $6.39.
    –Not that your books aren’t worth paying full price for. I’m a total fangirl. I love your books! I was just wondering what gives? I live in Canada so the offer should be available. I’m puzzled.

• Malignant Carp
      6.1
      · August 24th, 2011 at 10:26 pm · Link

It’s definitely curious. The Sony eReader store has it on sale for 99 cents in Canada, Kindle has it for $6.39. Kobobooks on the other hand has $6.59 (regular $7.99).

Sony lists Ballantine Books as the publisher. Kobo lists Random House Publishing Group. Kindle lists Del Rey. So many imprints. Why can’t they stick to one, eh?

At any rate, it appears Kobo and Amazon didn’t get the memo.

Very curious …

6.2
      · August 25th, 2011 at 6:49 am · Link

I don’t know, sorry; I don’t see it available for Kindle at all on Amazon.ca, only in paperback and audio. I’m forwarding this on to my editor, though, so hopefully she’ll get back to me with something.

• Jill
        6.2.1
        · August 25th, 2011 at 9:16 pm · Link

Just an FYI
        –the Kindle and Kindle e-books aren’t available through amazon.ca. If you live in Canada, you still have to order through amazon.com. No idea why.

7. Miss Bliss
    · August 25th, 2011 at 1:25 pm · Link

Just wanted to let you know I just finished reading your short story in Home Improvement. LOVED IT! I’ve been reading a lot of short stories lately and not everyone writes well in the short format. You did it beautifully! So as per usual thanks and thanks and thanks. Looking forward to more Downside stories.

8. LuluB
    · August 26th, 2011 at 12:04 am · Link

Oh no! I just checked on my Kindle in Australia, and it says it’s ‘not supported’ on Kindle so I can’t download it! :cry: I wonder why??!

8.1
      · August 26th, 2011 at 6:13 am · Link

Because Random House doesn’t publish me in Australia, HarperVoyager does, and only Random House is offering the price promotion; like the blog post says, unfortunately the price is only available in the US and Canada.

Sorry.

• Marie
        8.1.1
        · August 26th, 2011 at 7:39 am · Link

Is the sale on UM and CoG sort of available for us then? Because a day or so ago, all three books were at the same price, but UM and CoG have gone down in price since then, while UG haven’t. (Of course we always pay some weird Whispernet fee on top of the price.)

This ebook pricing in different countries is enough to confuse the best of us. ;-)

9. Carrie
    · August 26th, 2011 at 10:38 pm · Link

Too bad I don’t already own all three books in both print and e-book format. :lol:

10. SitkaSpruce
    · August 28th, 2011 at 12:09 am · Link

Unfortunately the 99 cent price is NOT available to Canadians (not those with a kindle anyways) BUT that doesn’t matter as UNHOLY GHOSTS was a great read for me (a newbie).

I’m starting on the rest tonight! LOVE this series, Thank You Stacia!

11. Marie
    · August 30th, 2011 at 1:57 pm · Link

I’m happy to report that the 99 cent price is now available for international readers!! :D

Of course we still pay VAT and Whispernet fee, but it’s based on the lower price. So, I’m thinking that goes for Canadian readers as well? :-)

• Malignant Carp
      11.1
      · September 5th, 2011 at 10:54 am · Link

For us lucky Canadians, it’s actually $0.89.

12. Marian Perera
    · September 4th, 2011 at 6:02 pm · Link

Congratulations on CHASING MAGIC, Stacia!

And speaking of your books, I just wanted to say that “Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet” recently helped me so much through a complicated but ultimately fun scene in a manuscript. That book is required reading for ‘rotic romance ‘riters.

Yeah, I’m alliteration-crazy.

13. bookster
    · September 7th, 2011 at 3:59 pm · Link

I heard about the .99 sale so I got unholy ghosts on my kindle and loved it!! As soon as I finished it I downloaded the next two. I was always hesitant to read about Chess because of her drug problem but I absolutely loved her at the end and of course I’m rooting for her to kick her habit (hint,hint) :mrgreen:

14. Hermia
    · June 30th, 2012 at 4:31 pm · Link

*sigh*. It’s a vey strange world. I own the first three Bokks as Paperbacks, the last two in the series as eboos. “Finding Magic” was also availabe here in Germany for me. But “Home”? No, no rights for Germany. :sad: