What Stace had to say on Wednesday, September 21st, 2011
SACRIFICIAL MAGIC cover!

Just in time to celebrate the exclusive excerpt of Chapter Two over on Dark Faerie Tales (part of the Summer Supernatural Smackdown event; comment there and you could win all three Downside books!), I get to finally how you the cover of SACRIFICIAL MAGIC!

I’m so, so happy with it! It’s a new look, a new model (and she’s just gorgeous), and I couldn’t be happier.

And here again is the back cover copy:

READING, WRITING, AND RAISING THE DEAD

When Chess Putnam is ordered by an infamous crime boss—who also happens to be her drug dealer—to use her powers as a witch to solve a grisly murder involving dark magic, she knows she must rise to the challenge. Adding to the intensity: Chess’s boyfriend, Terrible, doesn’t trust her, and Lex, the son of a rival crime lord, is trying to reignite the sparks between him and Chess.

Plus there’s the little matter of Chess’s real job as a ghost hunter for the Church of Real Truth, investigating reports of a haunting at a school in the heart of Downside. Someone seems to be taking a crash course in summoning the dead—and if Chess doesn’t watch her back, she may soon be joining their ranks.

As Chess is drawn into a shadowy world of twisted secrets and dark violence, it soon becomes clear that she’s not going to emerge from its depths without making the ultimate sacrifice.

Just as an FYI, this book is currently available for Amazon’s 4-for-3 promotion (meaning you buy three books, get one free). So now is the perfect time to pre-order!

23 comments to “SACRIFICIAL MAGIC cover!”

1. Madelynne Ellis
    · September 21st, 2011 at 4:42 am · Link

Very evocative. Can’t wait to read it.

· September 21st, 2011 at 6:50 am · Link

You were right, Stace, the cover is striking! Imposing the wet night street scene under Chess really makes a hauntingly good image.

3. Amy Ashley
    · September 21st, 2011 at 7:09 am · Link

I like this Chess better than the others! She’s pretty but she looks haunted. GREAT cover, Stacia. Really nice! Excited about this book!! I’ll buy it today. :)

4. Jillian
    · September 21st, 2011 at 7:24 am · Link

Every time I read “ultimate sacrifice” at the end of the blurb I think back to when you admitted original plans to kill off Terrible and I cringe.

This cover is darker, more… I don’t Chess. Love it though.

5. Claire Gillian
    · September 21st, 2011 at 8:25 am · Link

I love this one the most, followed by the one where Chess is crouched, Unholy Magic. This Chess is a little more street savvy looking that the others and for that reason, I like this one best.

6. Damien Walters Grintalis
    · September 21st, 2011 at 9:09 am · Link

The cover is fantastic! This model is a much better representation of Chess, in my opinion. Many congratulations!

7. Miss Bliss
    · September 21st, 2011 at 9:21 am · Link

Great cover! LOVE seeing more of her tattoos. You said in the newsletter that you wanted to know if there were any Downside characters we might want to know more about…and the one that always jumps to mind for me is Edsel and his wife and their family.

8. Tynisha Scott
    · September 21st, 2011 at 10:15 am · Link

Cant wait to read it!! That cover is awesome!!! 😆

9. Melissa (My World...in words and pages)
    · September 21st, 2011 at 10:46 am · Link

Have to say it’s amazing looking! :) I love the way the city is behind here in the covers. I’m curious to see where we go next. Sounds like another amazing addition to the Chess series. :) Thanks for sharing!!!

10. Tina R.
    · September 21st, 2011 at 11:31 am · Link

Love it.

11. Tina R.
    · September 21st, 2011 at 11:57 am · Link

Liked the cover. Loved the excerpts. :)

12. ManaChelle
    · September 21st, 2011 at 12:46 pm · Link

Wow! What an Awesome Cover :) Can’t wait till 2012!

13. Eedamme
    · September 21st, 2011 at 1:41 pm · Link

Ah, Stacia you’re so cruel! I want to read it right now!

14. Patricia
    · September 23rd, 2011 at 2:26 pm · Link

I love this cover. It seems so evocative of Chess’s character.

This is a favorite series of mine. Can’t wait for book 4.

15. Sammi
    · September 26th, 2011 at 12:28 am · Link

Ahhhh!! How am I supposed to wait until March?!! I love this series and adore all the characters. I’m feeling very, very impatient. And I love love love the cover. (ps. I named my cat Chessy haha)

16. Jennifer K Jovus
    · September 26th, 2011 at 10:39 am · Link

oh how I can’t wait. I love this series!

17. Lan-Dinh
    · September 29th, 2011 at 9:21 am · Link

Wow – Chess is beautiful. The cover of book 1 and 3 she was just “cute”. Book 2 looked a little grittier (maybe it’s the blue background color) and Chess looked more street savvy. But I like this cover the best with her tats.

18. Angela
    · September 29th, 2011 at 12:25 pm · Link

I love the chapter! Its not fair..I cant wait till March so I can get the book…but I qualify then as well, and thats just plain terrifying 😯

Theres just two paragraphs I cant get my head round – the ones talking about it being the first time she’d wished she wasnt a witch – is it because they’re out of context, not having read the full first chapter?

19. Marsha
    · September 30th, 2011 at 12:34 pm · Link

UGH! I don’t think I can wait until next spring for Sacrificial Magic! Love the cover! :)

20. Tess
    · November 10th, 2011 at 5:19 am · Link

Love the cover! Can’t WAIT to read the books when they come to Australia! I offically am in love with Chess’ tats 😛

21. Brooke
    · December 1st, 2011 at 3:56 pm · Link

I might be alone in this but I’m not a huge fan of this cover model or that the tattoo is so obviously a graphic. The Unholy Ghosts cover was amazing – the model seemed much grittier and the tattoos seemed far more authentic. This model is very much a ‘model.’
    That being said – as it is only an opinion – I cannot wait for the book!

• Brooke
      21.1
      · December 1st, 2011 at 3:58 pm · Link

Sorry! Meant Unholy Magic 😉

22. Meaky
    · December 2nd, 2011 at 3:45 pm · Link

This is mch more what I had in my head that Chess looked like, although I had it in my head that she had longer hair (doesn’t make any difference though :p) Her tattos seemed too ‘finished’, I imagined some gaps in the tattos because she comments that she has to connect some of the lines to activate some of them. My opinion only.. I CAN’T WAIT UNTILL MARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Three Covers That You’ve Most Likely Already Seen But That I Am Posting Anyways | Yummy Men and Kick Ass Chicks
  2. » Advent Door #2: Daughter of Smoke and Bone rhian bowley's blog