What Stace had to say on Thursday, January 5th, 2012
Updates etc.

I’m here!

I do apologize for not updating for so long; I am fine and feeling great, I’ve just been extremely busy finishing edits on CHASING MAGIC, working on edits of the short Downside story HOME (which will be published on Tor’s Heroes and Heartbreakers website), and working on a new project, in addition to the whole holiday thing.

Which was awesome. I cooked a lot. I made chicken stock from the carcass of our Yule roasted chicken. I made our now-traditional beef bourguingnon for Christmas day. I made a lasagna bolognese from scratch–long-simmered bolognese sauce and bechamel sauce–for New Year’s Day that was so gorgeous I wish I’d taken photos. I made a couple of batches of fudge crinkle cookies; I made Snickerdoodles; I made molasses spice cookies, some with white chocolate glaze and some with orange-flavored white chocolate glaze; I made pumpkin spice cookies with a vanilla-cinnamon frosting.

And we went out, a LOT, to do all of the shopping which had fallen by the wayside because of my recovery and the fact that hubs had to take a lot of unpaid time off work when I was in the hospital.

But it was a lovely holiday overall, a more fun and relaxing one than I’ve had in a while.

Oh! And, I played Dungeons & Dragons for the very first time! See, when I was a kid my big brother was a huge D&D head, but of course he never let me play with him and his friends. And I had the occasional boyfriend who played but generally when I’d go to their games they spent four hours creating characters, at which point I was bored.

But the hubs and I have a dear friend who used to play it with hubs when they were kids and he–the friend–still loves to play (he’s a Dungeon Master, which means, for those unfamiliar, that he “runs” the game), so he and his wife (also a dear friend of course) came over for spanakopita and adventure. He’d even created some characters for us in advance, which was so sweet of him. I was Lola Dragonslut, a warrior with semi-low intelligence but great charisma, and we explored a bunch of tunnels where there was supposed to be treasure. We didn’t finish the game, but we had a blast. Tons of fun; I’m looking forward to playing again.

Also, I got lots of pretty new nail polish for Christmas, so I’m hoping to start the fingernail posts again! This week my nails are peach with sparkles.

And…this morning I had an endoscopy done, a follow-up from the whole surgery thing. I’d warned them about my horrible gag reflex, and they’d promised to sedate me since the whole idea freaked me out. The upshot of all of this was that I don’t remember a thing from “You’ll start to feel drowsy in twenty seconds or so” to “Time to wake up!” But according to the nurse I talked the whole time, although they couldn’t understand a word (she said this with a bit of a giggle, which worries me. Could they really not understand me, or was I saying horribly dirty and rude things?). And according to the “Findings and Actions” sheet I was given, the intubation was “poorly tolerated” and they had to do it a second time, so there’s that gag reflex.

The bad news is the ulcer isn’t completely healed, so it’s back on ulcer meds for Stacia for another ten weeks, and another endoscopy when that ten weeks is over. Which sucks.

But again, the good news is I feel just fine and am back in the saddle. Well, it’s good news for me, and hopefully you think so, too.

There have been quite a few rant-worthy things happening lately, and I may blog about them soon. For the moment suffice to say that readers and reviewers have every right to express their opinions about books without authors responding in comments to tell them how wrong they are. (This also goes back to my posts about how once you’re published you can no longer use the “but I’m a reader, and I’m commenting as a reader” line, but again, something to possibly be blogged about later.)

So for now I’ll just say I hope you all had a wonderful holiday, and I’m hoping 2012 is a great year for all of us!

14 comments to “Updates etc.”

1. Cheryl
    · January 5th, 2012 at 10:31 am · Link

Glad you’re feeling better and back in action!

2. Pony
    · January 5th, 2012 at 10:37 am · Link

I’m so happy you’re feeling better- I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly. Happy new year to you! :)

3. Pyris
    · January 5th, 2012 at 10:56 am · Link

Yay, it sounds like you’re having blast besides your tummy troubles. I hope that resolves quickly and favorably.

4. Miss Bliss
    · January 5th, 2012 at 1:04 pm · Link

So good to hear from you! Blessings in the new year.

5. jarrah dale
    · January 5th, 2012 at 1:47 pm · Link

I wonder what you said too. I went in to get my wisdom teeth pulled a few years ago. Once the funny drugs hit the system, it was just like wonder woman’s lasso! I told the denbtist how much older he looked since I’d last seen him, (he’d had cancer!) And blabbed about all kinds of embarrassing things util hubby wanted to crawl from the room…. Some day thgis could end up in a book!

6. Tuiskutar
    · January 5th, 2012 at 3:14 pm · Link

It’s good to hear that you’re okay now. Hopefully 2012 is better year than 2011 (which was horrible if you ask me).

7. Astronomer
    · January 6th, 2012 at 9:55 am · Link

You had me at Snickerdoodle.

Glad to hear that the good news outweighs the bad, but dismayed there’s any bad news at all.

Welcome back to the blogosphere.

8. Lizzy G
    · January 6th, 2012 at 12:03 pm · Link

Glad your feeling better!! I am so excited for March! Cannot wait for Sacrificial Magic!

9. Allison
    · January 6th, 2012 at 2:35 pm · Link

Glad to hear that you’re feeling better and that you had a lovely holiday season!

10. Jamie
    · January 6th, 2012 at 6:18 pm · Link

I was wondering if you were going to comment on that mess on GR this past week. I was betting you would 😉

Glad to hear you’re feeling better!

Happy New Years!

11. Gwen
    · January 6th, 2012 at 10:58 pm · Link

Welcome back, it’s good to hear from you. I’m glad to hear the holidays were such a success.Take care and don’t push yourself to hard.We all look forward to the next blog.

· January 7th, 2012 at 12:32 am · Link

Excellent news, Stace! I hope the ulcer heals up well, and this will be your last stop in the hospital.

13. Annika
    · January 9th, 2012 at 6:44 am · Link

I’m so happy that you are feeling better and that you had an awesome holiday!
    I was diagnosed with “the beginning of an ulcer” just a few months after giving birth to my son (try finding medication for it that allows you to breastfeed..NOT easy, the only ones that were ok to take were absolutely horrible!) and that was hellish so I can only imagine how it must have been for you.
    I hope you have a happy (and productive hehe) 2012, I’m really looking forward to Sacrificial Magic :)

14. bookster
    · January 27th, 2012 at 9:18 am · Link

haaaa!!! that is too funny about what you “might” have said while you were under 😉 I hope your husband has a video and takes it to ELLEN she loves to show that type of thing! So happy you are doing better you “sound” great even though you have tons of things going on. So happy for you and can’t wait for what you have in store for us next.