What Stace had to say on Monday, January 30th, 2012
A little stuff avalanche

Okay, first? Indulge a Mommy for a minute, because this is seriously so cute it hurts.

I was in the car with both of my babies (Princess is ten, Faerie is just-turned-seven, for those unfamiliar) and the subject of Pluto came up. Pluto the suddenly-not-a-planet, not Pluto-Goofy’s-dog. I mentioned how it’s not a planet anymore, and Princess said that it’s a dwarf planet, and I said how disappointing that was because I’d always liked Pluto and was sad when it was demoted.

And then Faerie pipes up, in this thoughtful little voice, “Maybe they could find another planet for all the dwarfs to live on, and then Pluto can be a regular planet again.”

I am not making that up.

I told you, so cute it HURTS.

(It reminded me of when I was eight and being tested for the Gifted program at my school, and they asked me to define the word “dilatory,” and I figured, well, a dormitory is a place where they keep people, so maybe a dilatory is a place where they keep pickles? [That’s not correct, btw; dilatory basically means “slowpoke.”]) So according to my Faerie, a dwarf planet is a place where dwarves live. I almost died from the adorable.

So, beyond the cute…

I’ve written three blog posts, about the whole writer/reader/reviews etc. thing, and not posted them, because frankly I don’t have the stomach for whatever misinterpretations and controversy would erupt from them. I do have something more to say about that whole thing, though, so I’ll try to get that up this week.

In the meantime, I have my schedule for the SFX Weekender, which is this weekend, Feb 3-5. It is:

Sat 2/4:

Panel: What is Urban Fantasy? 11 am
Signing: 12 noon
Panel: Ready! Steady! Flash! 1 pm

The Ready Steady Flash panel is frankly terrifying, since I’ll be given a topic and then five minutes to write a story about it, and given my over-reliance on the word “fuck” in my first drafts…well, let’s just say I’m a bit nervous. But, if any of you are going to be at the Weekender, please, please come introduce yourselves! I literally only know one person who’ll be there, the very awesome Suzanne McLeod, so I anticipate a weekend spent almost entirely alone, working in my little room (which online reviews assure me will be filthy and stink of urine, though I’m trying to be optimistic). I’m not even really allowed to drink because of this stupid fucking ulcer I still have, so that pretty much kills any thoughts of fun for me. (Seriously? I’ve had maybe three Cokes since I had my surgery. I’m not supposed to have caffeine or alcohol. You cannot imagine how much this blows. But, you know, I’m not really ready to die yet.)

I am considering venturing into the town of Prestatyn for a proper butcher etc. on the Saturday, though, and maybe even making a nice come-one-come-all meal on Saturday night like I did at Dragon-con a few years back. Hey, Brian Blessed follows me on Twitter now, maybe he’ll come and we can all listen to him recite Shakespeare. Who knows? It’s North Wales in February, baby! WILD TIMES.

I have just painted my nails a dark teal for the occasion. Not sure I’ll keep it.

Oh, and here’s the cover for CHASING MAGIC:

19 comments to “A little stuff avalanche”

1. Chelsea / Vampire Book Club
    · January 30th, 2012 at 10:12 am · Link

Holy shit. Chess is smiling. Is this a sign of the apocalypse?

I kid. Yay for CHASING MAGIC.

2. Shiloh Walker
    · January 30th, 2012 at 10:24 am · Link

Oh. That is too cute for words. LOL.

Pluto will always be a planet for me.

Wow. That cover is awesome.

3. Isalysto how they think...
    · January 30th, 2012 at 10:29 am · Link

I love the way little brains work! There’s this undeniable logic in the way kids think. That really was full of cute ๐Ÿ˜€

Loveee the new cover! Two ‘Downside Ghosts’ books in one year…SCORE!!!

4. Marina
    · January 30th, 2012 at 10:37 am · Link

Love the cover!

5. Layla Messner
    · January 30th, 2012 at 11:28 am · Link

Hehe! You’re right–so cute!
    Digging the cover, too.

6. Brenda Hyde
    · January 30th, 2012 at 11:51 am · Link

That is THE cutest thing ever. LOL I love that age:)

So, you are going to be in a room that smells like an alley, you can’t have caffeine or booze AND you have to watch your language? My God, woman, are you insane? ๐Ÿ˜† Of course after all you’ve been through lately, that might seem like a picnic. You are a brave soul:)

LOVE the cover!

· January 30th, 2012 at 11:58 am · Link

LOL! Yep, cute. Can’t wait for Chasing magic.

8. midnightblooms
    · January 30th, 2012 at 3:23 pm · Link

1) Your kids are too cute.

2) Of course Brian Blessed follows you on Twitter. All the cool people do.

3) I love how you just casually toss out the cover to CHASING MAGIC there at the end. Like “oh yeah, nearly forgot.”

4) I love the colors on the cover. And Chess’ dreamy little smile. And that it is coming out so soon after SACRIFICIAL MAGIC.

5) I’m rereading the Downside books in anticipation of March 27. And because 2 months feels like forever. :smile:

9. Nellie
    · January 30th, 2012 at 3:57 pm · Link

Oooo, cover so shiny. *pets it*

10. Yodamom
    · January 30th, 2012 at 4:10 pm · Link

๐Ÿ˜ฎ Adorable ! The cover and the location of Dwarves.

11. Miss Bliss
    · January 30th, 2012 at 7:09 pm · Link

LOVE IT…a friend of mine’s kid accused her Dad of not knowing how to get to his parents house and he told her she was talking smack to which she responded, “I don’t talk smack. That’s just silly” Ahhh three year olds…so fun.

The cover is lovely…so excited. I do wish was going to be in North Wales because it would be so fun to see you but I’m in the wrong country.

12. Ljilja
    · January 31st, 2012 at 10:08 am · Link

Awwww…That is so cute! Love smiling Chess cover…

13. Stephanie D.
    · January 31st, 2012 at 2:05 pm · Link

Children say the cutest things all the time and I love it so much I try and write them down! Awsome cover can’t wait!

14. Miss Bliss
    · January 31st, 2012 at 2:23 pm · Link

Hey Stacia I don’t see any information about the next two Downside books getting an audio release…is it just going to be delayed or is there bad news about the audio books? I’m a HUGE fan of the previous three recordings.

15. Cheryl
    · February 1st, 2012 at 11:28 am · Link

“I donโ€™t have the stomach for whatever misinterpretations and controversy would erupt from them”

Doesn’t that just suck ass? So many times things are misinterpreted just because someone *wants* to start a controversy. Everyone on the planet hasn’t suddenly turned into stark raving idiots that require every little disclaimer and explanation to the explanation to the explanation in order to understand something and yet…

Heh heh, dwarf planet, she’ll be writing epic fantasy soon. Or Disney movies.

16. Colleen
    · February 1st, 2012 at 1:03 pm · Link

Just tossed that cover out there…It’s great BTW *patiently waiting*. 4 year old and I playing dolls. She tossed her’s in the bedroom and locked the door. When I gave her a look her she said “What? It was annoying us!”

17. Jo
    · February 1st, 2012 at 4:27 pm · Link

Oh my god, your daughter is too cute! That’s just so awesome! I love it.

Have fun at the SFX Weekender! If only I lived anywhere near Wales, I would be so there.

I’m loving the cover, but I think I prefer the UK covers for your series. They’re just so different from most UF covers out there. Looking forward to seeing the UK covers for both Sacrificial Magic and Chasing Magic :)

18. Amy Ashley
    · February 3rd, 2012 at 10:04 am · Link

Trying to think of non-drinking things to do and all I’ve got is manicures and trying out this new hair tinsel thing. Sounds like something that requires assistance and audience criticism.

I’m sure the fucks will go over fine. They’re writers, right?

LOVE the cute abundance!