What Stace had to say on Tuesday, February 14th, 2012
A Valentine’s Day gift at HeroesandHeartbreakers.com!

It’s up!

My little Downside romance short story, HOME, has been published on the HeroesandHeartbreakers.com website, free to registered members. Go here to read it and comment on it!

HOME is, as I said above, a romance story; this is the one I originally wrote for the MAMMOTH BOOK OF GHOST ROMANCE but pulled over the whole “gay stories aren’t romance” thing. So it’s definitely romance; it’s about love and relationships and all of that, and I think it’s rather a sweet little tale (though not too sweet; this is Chess we’re talking about here). SPOILERY (highlight to read): And for those of you who’ve wanted a chance to see Chess and Terrible just being happy together, here it is.

The story will be up free for one week, after which it’ll be pulled and released for sale in April (I believe). So please do go register now and read it, or you’ll have to wait a few more months!

A little excerpt:

“Love is not the most powerful magic. But it feels like it is.”
—Truth for Teens, a Guidebook for the Young Adult, by Elder Carroll

Chapter 1

Most—no, all—of her cases started the same way: A homeowner or building resident called the Church to report a haunting. The Church assigned a Debunker to the case to investigate the haunting and hopefully disprove it, to make sure the person in question wasn’t just faking in order to get a nice fat settlement in exchange for the Church’s failure to protect them from the dead.

After all, just because the population was smaller thanks to Haunted Week twenty-four years before, when the ghosts had risen and killed every living person they could, and just because the Church of Real Truth was in charge now, didn’t mean people didn’t still need money. They did. Just like Chess. She needed money for food, for rent, for the electric bill and the cell phone bill and all of those other things. And of course for drugs: the things that made her life worthwhile.

So Chess worked, and she worked hard, and she’d handled a lot of cases and gotten a lot of bonuses for disproving a lot of hauntings. But she’d never had a case before where a neighbor called the Church to report the ghost and the homeowners insisted there wasn’t one.

I really hope you all enjoy it!

10 comments to “A Valentine’s Day gift at HeroesandHeartbreakers.com!”

1. Miss Bliss
    · February 14th, 2012 at 3:32 pm · Link

Thanks. So, so good. You always nail what it feels like to be an addict, inside and out.

2. Brooke
    · February 14th, 2012 at 9:29 pm · Link

Fantastic. And may I express my anger about the ‘gay stories arent romance’ crap? 😡 there you go.. and just another reason I am such a fan of yours is that you do not give in to that. Great short for Chess.. Ive missed her and Terrible.. like my own cept fix 😉

3. Stephanie D.
    · February 15th, 2012 at 10:06 am · Link

I soo loved it! I can’t wait for March!!!! I need my Chess fix!

4. Ljilja
    · February 15th, 2012 at 3:39 pm · Link

It ‘s beautiful… Thank you, Stacia!

5. Gwen
    · February 15th, 2012 at 5:50 pm · Link

Thank you for the wonderful story.I was missing Terrible and Chess something fierce! I hope you had a great V-day as well. Oh I had a question as well, will book 4 be released in ebook format on the same day as the book?

6. Laura
    · February 15th, 2012 at 8:15 pm · Link

THANK YOU! I need Chess and Terrible like Chess needs her cepts … I was starting to itch. March needs to hurry up and get here already! 😉

7. Tina R.
    · February 16th, 2012 at 10:44 am · Link

Loved it!

8. hind
    · February 16th, 2012 at 11:41 am · Link

thank you soooo much stacia that was smashing.

9. becc
    · November 20th, 2012 at 9:21 pm · Link

Is this short story available to purchase, in print?

10. Dolores
    · August 18th, 2014 at 11:21 am · Link

After I initially left a comment I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on every time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Perhaps there is an easy method you are able to remove me from that service? Many thanks!

Here is my weblog site ( Dolores – http://www.scribd.com/doc/236868662 )