What Stace had to say on Tuesday, March 6th, 2012
Cage Match is UP!

The Suvudu Supernatural Cage Match 2012 has started! Sixty-four characters from your favorite (or not-so-favorite) fantasy/urban fantasy/paranormal/sci-fi novels, battling it out on the Suvudu blog, and readers pick the winners. And Chess is a “contestant!”

Suvudu asked me to write a battle scene for them; it’s Chess vs. Giles Babcock, the main vampire Big Bad from Justin Cronin’s THE PASSAGE. Yes, I got to write a scene where Chess fights a vampire, which was something I never thought I’d do, since, you know, they don’t exist in Chess’s world. It was actually really fun, and really fun to kind of play with someone else’s character a bit, and especially to find a way for Chess to beat his vampire ass. Heh heh.

Now. When the Suvudu editors did their “picks” last Friday, they all predicted Chess would lose. Probably because THE PASSAGE was a huge NYT bestseller, and because Babcock is a genetically altered vampire with skin like steel and superspeed and all that stuff.

BUT.

This clearly shows that the Suvudu editors do not understand that I have the most awesome readership on the planet, because if they did, they would know that genetically-altered-steel-skinned-vampire bastard may be tough and all, but he doesn’t stand a chance. You guys make all the difference here. And part of the game is for us to get our readership out there voting and commenting and playing along; like I said, the winners are picked by readers, and reader participation is what makes the Match so much fun for everyone.

So please, take a few minutes to read the scene, and place your vote! Leave a comment! Make your presence known!

If we can get Chess into Round Two–and she is currently ahead, thanks to awesome readers like you guys–I’ll post a special new excerpt from either SACRIFICIAL MAGIC or CHASING MAGIC! (And will do the same for every round she advances.)

I say we show them how things are done in Downside; what do you say?

9 comments to “Cage Match is UP!”

1. DyslexicSquirel
    · March 6th, 2012 at 6:23 am · Link

I voted twice (once from work, once from home) haha and I made a friend of mine vote and I posted the link on Goodreads to get the word out. XD

If Barrons can win the Alpha Male showdown (I went a bit crazy with that one, too), Chess can totally win Cage Match. Downside fans are just as awesome as Fever fans. (:

2. Laura
    · March 6th, 2012 at 7:41 am · Link

Lol, I also voted twice! (and am about to go jump on my hubby’s laptop for round 3!) She can totally take this Babcock guy. I loved the way it was written, and I have really enjoyed going through other matches as well. She definitely has some stiff competition ahead!

3. Sarah
    · March 6th, 2012 at 8:22 am · Link

Yeah!!! LOL Let’s show em how we roll in Downside! I could only vote once, but I tried twice, said they already counted my vote :( I posted it on Goodreads too, and called friends to garner favors. Whatever, lol, I’m cheap, I’ll get those votes any way I can. Btw, she totally beat his vampy ass fair and square!! Speaking of voting…..the Can’t Wait Books List” on listopia in Goodreads is stalled again……and I’ll be your friendly neighborhood pusherman. SM is still at 66 and CM has moved up, slightly, to 140. So, go vote now :)) please http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6634.Can_t_Wait_Books_of_2012

4. midnightblooms
    · March 6th, 2012 at 3:57 pm · Link

Vampire, schmampire. Go, Chess!

I voted at work and will vote again from home. Loved the play-by-play!

5. hindley
    · March 7th, 2012 at 1:42 am · Link

He might be the biiig baaad vampire{yeah whatever}!but its chessiebomb we re talking about here,more resourceful than MACGYVER 😆 ,i voted twice,got my husband to vote got colleagues to vote i even got my neighbour to vote!GO CHESSIE GO!

6. Allison
    · March 7th, 2012 at 8:53 am · Link

Voted from home, work & my phone & got friends & hubs to vote too! Go Chess!!!!!!!

7. Southpaw
    · March 7th, 2012 at 3:46 pm · Link

I voted once. Good luck for round two. I’m pretty sure that Chess won this one 😀

8. Lege Artis
    · March 7th, 2012 at 4:42 pm · Link

I trust Chess to deal with a dead man! Voted!

9. Laura
    · March 8th, 2012 at 6:15 pm · Link

Ok, so now we know she officially/unofficially won … do we know when round two goes up? I want to plan ahead this time, and post it all over the internet! :-)