What Stace had to say on Sunday, July 13th, 2014
Groan, sigh

(Yes, a Sunday post! I am ALL OVER this blog thing, baby! Well, sort of. This isn’t really a “fun” post. But I’ll do my best.)

So as I said last month, I’ve got a lot of projects on the go, several of them Downside-related, a couple of them brand-new. I’ve been very, very busy, especially because my goal was to get something out next month–it was going to be a surprise, basically, and then the next Terrible novella was to be out in September. That was my plan, and I was (essentially) on track for it. Including earmarking a particular royalty check for various production costs and such.

Except the check’s been lost. It’s not the publisher’s fault (we know this for a fact); it’s not really anyone’s fault, it’s just happened. This is worrying, as you can imagine, and frustrating. Because while I can hunt down the number for this particular house’s payment office–which isn’t the main office and only accepts phone calls for like three hours when the moon is full or some weird draconian thing, at least that’s how I remember my attempts to call them several years ago when I changed my address–they may not be happy to stop payment on and reissue a check which may simply be delayed in the post and could turn up a month from now (which did happen to us once before–an envelope took seven weeks to arrive). Which is a valid point. And of course even if they do so now (as opposed to telling me to wait thirty days or whatever) that could take more weeks, and then it’ll be a couple of weeks to get to our forwarder, and then who knows when they’ll send it out. So we’re looking at another month or two at least, which misses the deadline I had in mind.

So this is basically my apology for that, and explanation. I’d really wanted this week to be able to give you an estimated release date–well, an estimated release week, anyway–but without knowing when the check will arrive I can’t say, because pre-production takes time, obviously.

I mentioned this to Mr. Husband–well, I whined and moped and bitched about this for the last two weeks, is more like it, really–and a friend of his suggested Kickstarter, but you all know that Kickstarter weirds me out. If nothing else, I really dislike some of their policies. And you know I hate, hate, HATE asking or expecting you guys to pay for things or donate to help me get work out there or anything of that nature. It makes me feel icky. Really, truly icky, not just sort of icky, but ICKY.

But I also truly hate the idea of making you wait even longer for more stories, and while the pay-as-we-go story we did here on the blog was fun (and you are all so generous, a few of you so much so that it brought me to tears), and I think true serial stories are tons of fun, I do also think that when it comes to a self-contained short or novella it kind of… You know the sense of excitement that you get (as in the universal YOU, not you specifically) when you actually get to buy a copy of a book you’ve been looking forward to, and open it up, and read it all right there? There’s something really awesome about that feeling–that you’re about to dive into another world for a few hours–and you just don’t get that when reading a story in 3000-word clips on a blog. And of course posting it on the blog means it needs to be read on the blog, as opposed to it being something you can read offline or whatever. And again, having read it all on the blog means it’s kind of an anticlimax when you actually get a copy of it–and it’s an anticlimax for me, too, really, and I think it leaves out a lot of readers who don’t regularly read the blog or whatever. So that’s not my ideal option and I don’t think it’s yours.

So, okay. I’m trying to think of a way for this to work. It occurs to me that I *am* comfortable with the idea of pre-orders, and I like the idea that if you pre-order now, you get a copy pre-release. So what do we all think of this: Donate something now, and in the Notes section on Paypal write in what ebook format you prefer, and then I will send you a copy of the collection of shorts (with a new short) and an additional short* (see below), in that format before the final release date.

IN ADDITION…some of you have asked me if I’m planning to do shorts for other characters, which is something I hadn’t really thought much about. But…let’s do something fun with this. If you donate, also put in the comments which character you’d like to see in his or her own own-POV story. And I will write the winner. (If you cannot/do not donate, you can of course still vote; just comment or email your choice to DownsideArmy AT gmail.

Let’s have some fun, huh?

22 comments to “Groan, sigh”

1. Colleen
    · July 13th, 2014 at 11:36 am · Link

I just paid $1.99 per chapter of an 8 chapter serial that is one of the best books I read all year, and that’s saying a lot. I will pre-order but while you may feel icky, I am pretty sure your fans don’t see it that way.

2. Abby
    · July 13th, 2014 at 12:58 pm · Link

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. There is a balm in Gilead. Yes I would pay (but not until next week when I get paid). Oooooow.POV Let me think. … Bump? Lex? Blue?

Since this is my first comment and I have read some of your old posts, requirements for a hero that you have but didn’t mention – humor. Some about himself, some about life. Terrible, Chess and Sela scene CLASSIC.

3. Miss Bliss
    · July 13th, 2014 at 1:19 pm · Link

Yeah…I get back here next week to pre-order.

Let’s see… I’d love to see some POV from Lex and/or Edsel. I’m curious about Edsel’s story all the way around.

4. Mel Thomas
    · July 14th, 2014 at 8:45 am · Link

I contributed and am hoping for a little something from Lex’s POV. I would really like to know how he feels about Chess and/or if he is just trying to complicate things between her and Terrible.

Thank you, Stacia, for giving your fans the opportunity to help you out. We don’t feel put out by it. Those of us who are loyal fans, are more than willing to help.

• Mel Thomas
      4.1
      · July 14th, 2014 at 8:50 am · Link

A realized after sending my payment that I forgot to list which ebook format I want. I apologize and hope that this isn’t a problem. I prefer epub. Thanks again, Stacia.

5. Jill
    · July 14th, 2014 at 11:08 pm · Link

I just made the pre order purchase! I’d love to read something from Lex’s POV :) Thanks a lot Stacia for the beautiful world and cast of characters from Downside!

6. Brighe
    · July 15th, 2014 at 12:28 am · Link

paid! I’m kind of embarrassed because it’s so little but I’m not working atm so it’s all I had. I hope it’s enough!

7. Amy
    · July 15th, 2014 at 8:30 am · Link

Lex. Definitely, Lex. I think of him as being like…….dessert. Ya know? In the long run, I know he probably won’t be good for me. But. I’m still going to really enjoy having him. Frequently.

8. Nae
    · July 16th, 2014 at 10:16 pm · Link

I donated but forgot to mention who i would like to see a POV short story about – I would actually like to see something on Elder Griffin…I think he would have a VERY interesting past (as we already saw in glimpse of in previous books) – It would also be interesting to hear from his point of view what Chess did to Terrible with that sigil

9. Abby
    · July 18th, 2014 at 12:28 pm · Link

Sent mine. Finally. Do you have the option for PDF?

10. Valarie
    · July 20th, 2014 at 2:12 am · Link

I would love to see a novella from LEX’S POV. Thank you so very much Stacia for the opportunity to receive your work before the actual release date! And I definitely agree with Mel Thomas, your loyal fans absolutely are always there for you and willing to help! You and your work means that much to us! Thank you! 😀

11. Dianna
    · July 21st, 2014 at 10:56 pm · Link

Hmmm….. I want to see something from Lex’s POV. I want to see what’s going on in his mind.

12. Cathy/greytfriend
    · July 22nd, 2014 at 9:31 am · Link

All pre-paid here as well and I think it’s a good plan. I loved the serial, it was so fun, but getting chunks of a story that you didn’t plan to chop up like that could lead to some very frustrating breaks. Usually I am the sort who wants it all at once so that I can gobble it up too. But I would be on board for a serial if you felt like tackling one again, it was exciting to wait for installments and anticipate the next scene. You could do something weekly like what Tansy Rayner Roberts is doing or just whenever you go around to posting like Ilona Andrews. But pre-paid is the way to go, I think. Or maybe Patreon instead of Kickstarter would be a more comfortable fit for you if you wanted to do something long term, it seems kind of fun the way that it encourages reaching ongoing goals, but I don’t really know much about it.

Anyway, I’m torn about the new POV story. Lex seems obvious, but I’d probably go for Blue if I was going for someone from that world, I could find out more about Lex but also get a lot more insight about a wide range of people from that side of town and I’d really like to see another woman’s perspective. And Elder Griffith is another one I’d vote for, or someone inside the Church. Though you’re slowly revealing more about how everything works, it’s all still pretty mysterious and fascinating to me.

13. Tracy
    · July 22nd, 2014 at 6:16 pm · Link

I prepaid, but I didn’t see a notes section, I would prefer a PDF file, if possible. I also would like to see something from Lex’s POV.

14. Maura
    · July 24th, 2014 at 6:18 am · Link

Paid! Annnnd, I think I’d like to hear from Edsel. I think I might be the only person who’s not into Lex. I’d kind of like to know more about what daily life is like in Downside.

15. Stephanie
    · July 25th, 2014 at 4:23 pm · Link

I would love to see Edsel too! I think it would be really interesting to see his take on Chess and Terrible.

16. Sandra
    · July 30th, 2014 at 7:39 am · Link

Pre-ordered! Can’t wait to read…. As for a new POV, I have to say LEX.

17. suzee
    · August 6th, 2014 at 12:45 am · Link

I just paid a deposit, and can’t wait for more of Terrible and Chess. Hope I got it right.

18. suzee
    · August 6th, 2014 at 12:47 am · Link

I wouldn’t mind an insight into Bump and Terribles early relationship, and how it evolved to what t is now. Can’t wait for the pre order….sigh

19. Nicole
    · August 11th, 2014 at 3:10 pm · Link

Hi! I’m sorry but I’m not getting it, can someone please explain? Can we pre-order the next Downside novel? Or is it a short story? If it is the novel we’ll we get it complete or some chapters only? Don’t get me wrong, I’m totally on board with this whole thing, whether it’s just a part, complete, a short story, anything, I simply want my Terrible and Chess fix *winks* but I just didn’t quite understand. Help please. Thanks

20. Allison
    · September 8th, 2014 at 3:17 pm · Link

I only just saw this but I have donated. Is there any expected timeline for this?

I’d love a story from Elder Griffin’s perspective.

I am, of course, looking forward to the newest short!

21. suzee
    · September 8th, 2014 at 9:25 pm · Link

the suspense is killing me. But by viewing all the posts here, I’d say it’s pretty likely to be a short story on Lex. I’ll take it. Bump was my preference, but Lex is good too. Just want it now!!!!!!!